Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 16th, 2012 16:00

After Windows XP re-install, I can not set up an Internet connection.

Recently, I re-installed windows XP on a newly formatted hard drive.  I tried to use the network setup wizard to create an internet connection via  a cable plugged into back of pc but the wizard says that it can not detect network hardware.  I believe the network card is built into the Motherboard. I tried to isntall drivers from the Dell Cd that came with the system but it fails to detect a modem. 

My system is a Dell dimension 5150 

Suggestions are greatly Appreciated. 

October 16th, 2012 17:00

Hi,

Please install the drivers from Dell’s support site. Use the following link: 

http://dell.to/T9GP5R

Insert the system Service Tag and select Operating System as XP. Install the following driver software:

Intel chipset drivers for ICH7 systems
Intel 945G Integrated Video
SigmaTel STA9220 Driver
Intel 82562GT 10/100 Ethernet Controller Driver 

To install the internet drivers select Network and choose Intel and save the software into a folder on the desktop and run it. Once the driver is installed check Device manager.
To go to Device Manager click on Start > right click on My Computer > select properties > Hardware > Device Manager > now click on Network Adapters and you should see the Intel Ethernet driver installed. (Refer to the picture below):

Once the ethernet drivers are installed, you will be able to connect to the internet with the ethernet cable connected to the modem.

Please reply with the results.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

October 17th, 2012 08:00

I downloaded the drivers to a flash drive to transfer to the computer with the internet connection issue.  Now, It is asking me which program to run the drivers with.  I am still confused as to what I need to do next to install the drivers on that PC.

October 19th, 2012 18:00

Hi,

As you have downloaded the drivers to a flash drive, please connect it to your system and on the internet driver folder do a right click and selct run. It will install the software.Once the driver is installed check in device manager.

Restart the system and connect to the internet.

Please reply for further assistance.

Thanks and Regards
Priyanka S
#iworkfordell

No Events found!