Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 18th, 2014 20:00

Airplane Mode stuck, Press FN + PrtScn

Hello

I have a 15r inspiron laptop with Windows 8. My newest problem surfaced today.  Suddenly my laptop kept disconnecting my wireless connection and turning on airplane mode.  Finally it is stuck in airplane mode and I am unable to connect wireless. I have a Dell Wireless 1705 card.  I tried everything including restoring to factory default settings.  It also states my Ethernet connection is unplugged.  It is not since I have my tablet connecting fine.  This all started when I tried to check for windows updates. Any help is appreciated.  I never experienced so many problems with a computer. It seems that I am always fixing something.

2 Posts

July 15th, 2016 15:00

I have the same laptop computer and the exact same problem.   I've spent endless hours on the phone with Dell Tech Support and even my wireless provider and also spent today restoring everything back to factory settings. I'm using Ethernet for now.    Even Dell was unable to TURN OFF the airplane mode which in turn would turn on the Wi-Fi.  No one knows how to fix it.   All possible paths and possible solutions do not work. It's just plane broken.    You can't  talk to someone other than in the Philippines which really irks me.  My warranty is up sometime in October.  This first started on Sept 9th & it's still not resolved.   Dell has the worst Tech support I've ever encountered.  I would never buy another.  

I have the same problem...Airplane mode turned itself on and it is not possible to turn it off. Spent hours with Microsoft remote diagnostics and they cannot fix it. Their only suggestion is to do a complete reinstall of Windows 10 which would wipe out all my programs, some of which I cannot reinstall now.

Microsoft say it is a Dell driver problem...probably caused by a Win10 update for which this driver is not compatible. I have the latest driver for the Intel 6205 wireless on my Latitude 6430...

It seems to me it is a software problem and nobody can fix it 

C'mon Dell you have to help us here

2 Posts

July 16th, 2016 12:00

This happens when you accidentally hit the Fn key and the PrtScr key at the same time. It goes to airplane mode and won't go back through the normal ways.

The way to get back to wifi mode is to press the Fn key and at the same time press PrtScr. Works like a charm.

2 Posts

July 16th, 2016 13:00

I finally found the cause....there is a tiny switch underneath my laptop that turns wireless on and off....It must have been bumped somehow...I didn't even know this switch was there.

Fn+PrtScrn doesn;t do anything for me.

2 Posts

July 30th, 2016 04:00

I am having the exact same problem on a M6800. It started after dell replaced the mother board and graphics card. Nothing so far has fixed the problem. The things I have tried are.

stopping the switch on the side from controlling wireless

re installing windows 10 on to a new HDD

FN + F2 and FN + PrntScrn does not work on this Laptop

When I click on the Flight Mode tile it immediately switches back on.

I have checked the registry settings.

The only thing so far that fixes it is by re installing Windows 7 on another drive and booting to that when I need wireless.

I think that in my case it must be related to the motherboard change but Dell says not.

2 Posts

July 31st, 2016 16:00

As an update to my previous post.

I decided to strip my Laptop down to examine the wireless switch and found that the Dell engineer who fitted the motherboard forgot to connect the switch to the motherboard.. My problem is now fixed which makes me very happy.

I am however very unhappy with Dell customer support for getting me to waste about 5 hours of my time changing various  settings and installing different versions of windows. (I did suggest to them that I thought the problem was the switch)

1 Message

October 24th, 2016 00:00

There is a physical key for turning On Wifi/ On Airplane mode on the right of the laptop, next to the USB ports, Push it to turn on wireless.

Best

Joel

4 Posts

December 15th, 2016 05:00

Thanks. I hit the Fn and PrtScr accidentally. Hit it again and it turned off my airplane mode.  Really annoying that you cannot tien it off from settings as well.

1 Message

March 8th, 2017 18:00

This worked for me after hours on the phone with support. My laptop was new out of the box and my airplane mode was on!  dell support couldn't help me. I searched everywhere for a solution and tried nearly everything!! Thank you for the easy quick fix. I rolled my eyes and laughed. Of corse it's always the simplest solution! So greatful!!

1 Message

April 27th, 2017 16:00

Look at your F2 KEY. That will shift your Airplane mode to Wi Fi. It took me a whole day to fix my problem. before I accidently found it.

1 Message

May 29th, 2018 11:00

On my Dell Precision M4800  there was a slider switch on the right hand side with a little wifi icon next to it. 

Kudos to Tarasula for helping identify the physical switch.

1 Message

October 7th, 2020 20:00

Hi,i have try the solution you provided.but still not work.do you have any solution about this? Thank you

December 12th, 2023 09:54

@Dawnflash​ this is years old but i made an account just to say thank you to you, been struggling with this problem for days!

December 26th, 2023 13:42

@Dawnflash​ THANK YOU! After hours of toubleshooting and head scratching, this was a simple fix! 

No Events found!