Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 28th, 2008 08:00

All of a sudden can't "send" emails out

Hi Everyone:  I'm new here to the forum, this forum is great.   I have been trying to figure out why "all of a sudden" I can't "send" emails out, I have had my 1525 laptop now for about 5 months and never had  a problem with my email going out - I can "receive" emails but now for some weird reason I can't "send" them - I get this error:

The connection to the server has failed. Subject '', Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'smtp.comcast.net', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

I have Not changed anything - hope someone can help me  - Thank you

381 Posts

December 28th, 2008 08:00

Hi Sniglet (love the handle!)

I work for a local ISP.  Many of our customers have that same problem intermittently, and it seems to occur after some Windows updates. Whether or not that is merely a coincidence I do not know.

What has worked for us is changing the outgoing port number. I think you should call Comcast's tech support and see if anyone else is having that issue- I'm willing to bet that they are- and find out if replacing that outgoing port number 25 with something else- maybe 80?- might help.

Good luck!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 28th, 2008 09:00

Sniglet,

It looks like your email settings are incorrect. Please read this article and it will walk you throught setup and settings.

Comcast, How do I set up/configure Outlook Express for email?

Please note, if using a different type of email program, like Mozilla Thunderbird, the settings are still the same.

Rick

2 Posts

December 28th, 2008 11:00

Hi Julzie and Rick:  Thank you so much for taking the time to help me - I was able to get in touch with a live chat @ comcast and he gave me this information and it worked - "Yipee"  here is what he told me to do and it worked - hope everyone has an awesome New Year  :)

To restore mail service, simply reconfigure your program to Port 587 & enable authentication.  We are moving all accounts to Port 587 & cannot remove Port 25 blocks.  We apologize if other email accounts are affected.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 28th, 2008 11:00

Sniglet,

There are many isp's that are blocking port 25. There are also many hot spot places that you cannot use an email program, like Outlook Express, while at there wifi spots. You can, for the most part, use the webserver to check your emails, if you have a laptop.

Thanks for posting back. Could you mark the verify answer(s) that helped you sole your problem, so if someone else searches the forums, they can see what you did to fix your problem(s).

Thanks,

Rick

No Events found!