Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 10th, 2009 08:00

Always "Acquiring Network Address"

I have 2 laptops; a C600 and a C810. The C600 connects to the internet, the C810 won't get past "Acquiring Network Address" I switched PCMCIA wireless cards and same thing happened. So the problem doesn't seem to be card or the router. What can be causing this in only one of the laptops?

Thanks,

jtnt

1.7K Posts

March 10th, 2009 10:00

Firewall on the C810 or MAC addrses filtering on the router are the first two things that pop into my head.

3 Posts

September 16th, 2009 08:00

I have a similar problem.  I have a new Mini-10 running XP.  When I try to connect via wireless using the in-built  Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN adapter, I never get beyond the "Acquiring Network Address" message.  I can connect the machine using a wired connection with no problem.  If I plug in an external (Linksys) wireless adapter it connects to the network within a few seconds.  Other computers connect to the router with no problem.  The Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility shows excellent signal strength.  The TCP/IP parameters for the two wireless adapters are set to the same values.  The Windows firewall is disabled. 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 16th, 2009 10:00

rhclinton,

What type of Virus protection are you using? It's possible the firewall of the security suite, if you're using any might be the culprit.

Also try going to start, control panel, device manager, networ adapters. Right click on your wireless adapter, advanced and try changing the antenna diversity to Aux.

Also try Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers and WinSock XP Fix (Yes this works on Vista machines, too!).

Rick

No Events found!