Highlighted
2 Bronze

Are Dell Laptop Wi-Fi cards Upgradeable?

I am the recent owner of a Dell XPS 13 w/ Intel 8260.  I also recently purchased a Linksys EA9500 router w/ MU-MIMO capability.  Currently, there is only one card on the market with this capability.  In the future, if I want to upgrade my Wi-fi card, I want to confirm that Dell doesn't place hardware ID limitations in the BIOS that would prohibit this.  I had an old Lenovo computer that was very disappointing to find out that when 802.11ac protocol was introduced I was unable to upgrade the internal Wi-fi card due to BIOS restrictions (computer wouldn't boot unless Wi-fi card was Lenovo part...and computer was several years old so hardware IDs were old).  I have heard about people upgrading Dell laptops and just want to make sure I've been fortunate enough to get the benefit of Dell being upgradeable.  Thanks. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

RE: Are Dell Laptop Wi-Fi cards Upgradeable?

MCCAINMW,

You can replace the intel 8260 wifi card in your computer. You cannot replace wifi cards if the are inbedded on the motherboard.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

RE: Are Dell Laptop Wi-Fi cards Upgradeable?

You have more choices now that wifi usb adapters are available. It is an easy upgrade. Plug it in and disable the onboard wifi. See this bundle at Amazon-- www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_5

0 Kudos