Highlighted
2 Iron

Beware of SmartByte

Jump to solution

If anyone has really fast internet and when you do a speed test you only get 100 Mbps, check to see if Dell has slipped the SmartByte application on to your PC.

I have a 400 Mbps connection and 802.11AC wifi and my Inspiron PC would only get 100 Mbps at my ISP's official speedtest site.  i went through 3 different AC cards thinking it was them because my Ipad would always give me a speed of 400Mbps.

Just by happenstance I uninstalled the SmartByte app, and lo and behold my speed now gives me 400+ Mbps.

Here's the kicker, a day later the dang application was back and i was getting 100 Mbps again.  I didn't install it, it installed itself!  Every time i would uninstall it, a day later it would be back...ugh!  I do not know how to keep it from self installing so what I did was go to the "Services" tab of Windows 10's task Manager and stopped the service "SmartByte Network services"  after doing this i have my full speed back again, and the app doesn't "restart" itself.

Dell Please stop installing this!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Re: Beware of SmartByte

Jump to solution

We have just released a new version of SmartByte that should address all of these issues. You can find the current version on our website, here - http://support.rivetnetworks.com/. Simply download the package, run it, and follow the prompts to update to the latest version. If there is an updated interface available, the installer will forward you to the Windows Store to install the new interface.

If you have any other issues with SmartByte, we encourage you to tell us about it by clicking here to contact us directly!

-- Anthony with Rivet Networks

View solution in original post

84 Replies
Highlighted
7 Thorium

Jump to solution

Also check the Startup Tab in Task Manager to see if it is there. Disable it if it's listed. A search for smartbyte shows lots of complaints and tips. Thanks for posting.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

So how do you guys uninstall? I searched for "SmartByte" in Start and hit Uninstall. There is also a SmartByte Drivers and Services in Control Panel, I assume I should remove that one too?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Just bought a Dell Inspiron Two-In-One and noticed it was SO slow compared to my HP laptop (which is dying -- hence the need for a new laptop). I am currently uninstalling the Drivers component as well. Will give you an update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Thorium

Jump to solution

Yes, SmartByte is confirmed to be troublesome and I just tell people to uninstall it.

However, I've never heard of it coming back. Are you still running Dell Update? How are you uninstalling it?

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
Highlighted
2 Iron

Jump to solution

the only dell app i have installed is Dell SupportAssist..

When i uninstalled the SmartByte app i would use the windows control panel.. and then a few hours later i would see "Smartbyte" again in the control panel.....

Highlighted
7 Thorium

Jump to solution

@steveymacjr wrote:

1. the only dell app i have installed is Dell SupportAssist..

2. When i uninstalled the SmartByte app i would use the windows control panel.. and then a few hours later i would see "Smartbyte" again in the control panel.....

1. I uninstalled that also.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/My-Aurora-R6-The-Adventure-Continues/m-p/6095405/h...

2. Spooky. Maybe they should rename it Stupid-Byte ?

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Uninstalled with Revo uninstaller it came back. Uninstalled with IOBit Uninstaller didn't. Never got to play with the service. Cheers!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Smartbyte is like the technical version of herpes it never seems to want to disappear Completely. Everytime I try to uninstall it it comes back no matter what uninstaller I use. I'm a virtual DJ so smartbyte interferes with my program that I used to DJ with. There's days where I have to uninstall it two or three times. It can get really annoying 

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Yeah, Smartbyte creates fatal issues that are not intuitive to fix.  Malfunctions that don't make any sense, the worst kind!

I was having issues with FileZilla, the FTP client.  I could do everything (read, modify, create files on the server), but I couldn't upload files to the server.  I tried so many things, but nothing made sense.  Using a VPN resolved the issue, but again, this made no sense until I realized what was causing the problem!  So I went through all the software on my PC.  Found this thing called Smartbyte and discovered it was capable of tweaking my bandwidth.  I uninstalled it, and my issue was resolved.  I guess the reason everything worked using a VPN was because all my data was encrypted, and Smartbyte couldn't identify the type of traffic, and therefore didn't mess with it.

I also had issues with online speed test services (Ookla).  The download test was fine, but the upload test stuck at zero, and Ookla gave me an error, something about possible firewall issues.  Worked fine using a VPN, just like with the FTP issue.  This was also fixed when I uninstalled Smartbyte.

Smartbyte is not smart.  Uninstall it.

And Dell, please look into discontinuing it on your systems.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Oh, and Smartbyte also seemed to have messed with Steam, the gaming platform.  No issues after uninstalling Smartbyte.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution
I agree. SmartByte appears to slow down Internet speeds, because a tool I use says it is reporting on us to unknown 3rd parties. (Who?) Someone here, with greater skills than me, should investigate where its sending our info. Dont believe that the govt. spies on its citizens today? Then read about Edward Snowden on Wikipedia, first, before you comment. Educate yourself. Illegal govt. spying is worse than you think. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Snowden
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution
Hello, I came across this matter completely by accident. While searching for a solution to the problem in Outlook 2010 and removing unnecessary applications in Windows 10, I was interested in the program from the topic. For several days, Outlook 2010 for unknown reasons have stopped sending emails (SSL encryption). The mail server was disconnecting the client, but only on this computer. Restoring the system image from before updating Dell software and drivers was an additional hint (because for a moment, Outlook was working. Until you allow Dell updates). It was the removal of this unfortunate SmartByte program that solved the problem.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

We have just released a new version of SmartByte that should address all of these issues. You can find the current version on our website, here - http://support.rivetnetworks.com/. Simply download the package, run it, and follow the prompts to update to the latest version. If there is an updated interface available, the installer will forward you to the Windows Store to install the new interface.

If you have any other issues with SmartByte, we encourage you to tell us about it by clicking here to contact us directly!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Beware of SmartByte - FIXED!!

Jump to solution

Anthony - Thanks for posting the new version.  It fixed me right up.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Argentum

Re: Beware of SmartByte - FIXED!!

Jump to solution

Great! I'm glad to hear it!

If anyone updates to the latest version of SmartByte and it does not resolve the problem, we have confirmed that there is a specific, older Intel Wi-Fi driver that is somewhat buggy. Updating the Intel Wi-Fi driver from here - https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=vg6m5 - will resolve the issue if updating SmartByte does not. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I am having the issues with it stopping outlook from sending emails as well. What is the purpose of Smartbyte, when i delete it everything i need works fine, so why reinstall it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Gmail and Yahoo (SSL encryption) emails fail to send and just hang in Outbox of Outlook.

Jump to solution

Exactly the same as SpeeDyLOCO I was having problems with my brand new Dell Inspiron 7580 and a brand new installation of Outlook (2016? - the latest version anyway). Whilst it would send emails from my POP3 accounts with BTInternet.com it wouldn't send any from Gmail or Yahoo. The Outlook test messages worked okay so it wasn't the password (although I switched off 2 factor authentication just in case although I knew it wasn't that as the same accounts with exactly the same settings worked fine still on my old Samsung laptop with the same version of Outlook). The messages from Gmail and Yahoo would just hang in the Outbox forever. Dell support were as much use as a chocolate teapot and just referred me to PC World whom I'd bought the thing from. PC World support were okay at first as I'd taken out the £8 per month support plan to help out the sales guy but cancelled it three days later. They didn't want to know after that and just told me to do a factory re-set. Muppets! I'd already done a LOT of searching the Internet for answers all to no avail, so then I got on to Microsoft Office support. One of their tech guys took remote control of my Dell and was mystified. He spent about 90 minutes and couldn't work it out. He upgraded my case to 'level 2' support and said they'd call me 'on Wednesday'. They didn't. A call did come the following Wednesday but only rang 5 times and they hung up before I could pick up. Aaaargh! And you cannot contact MS level 2 support yourself in any way. I tried back with the online chat at level 1 and as soon as they found out that it was escalated to level 2 already they didn't want to know. Promised that they'd call me back later the same day. Nothing. So after another 3 weeks or so, I got back onto another level 1 tech by online chat. He again took remote control and I didn't tell him it was already with level 2, I wanted him to have a try at least. And, you know what... he managed, after about an hour, to isolate it. He went through all the previous stuff like a new Outlook profile and, this time a new Windows profile. Neither worked but then he did a clean boot with only MS services running and EUREKA! the emails started sending. Which just left me to keep turning on the services that had been set not to load one by one until I found the offender. Actually I turned on half at a time and got there fairly quickly. And of course, the offender was SmartByte. I tried to update it... the Dell support site where you update your drivers had a new version of SmartByte with a date of just a few days ago on it, but on installing it, it was actually just the same version anyway. Another expletive from my mouth. Anyway, I uninstalled it with Revo Uninstaller Pro (although that's probably not necessary as it didn't find anything left over) but there was still SmartByte left in the start menu alphabetical list which I could right click on and get an uninstall button. I guess from the MS app store rather than a whole program. And then there were a couple of things in Location: C:\ProgramData\Dell\ that I searched for 'smartbyte' and deleted. And now everything works fine. I'm not sure if SmartByte will try to come back and I'm not interested in trying to see if all the other Dell software is up to date and compatible with it. I've never had a computer with SmartByte before and I've never missed it. Don't think I will now.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Landed here because the computer was slowing. Now we're hoping it also fixes our Filezilla issue as well!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

thank you for this!!!  My out of the box brand new Dell was just..failing miserably in installing WoW.  I have pretty high end internet, and couldn't figure out for the life of me why it was so awful to download, and was honestly considering returning it as completely useless.  Removing this awful bit of software that I didn't ask for, enable, or realize was running completely resolved the issue, and I'm back to being able to actually use my internet connection effectively.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Hi! I ran into your post by accident - looking for info about SmartByte and what it is and accidentally resolved my issue with cutting my Internet speed in half. Great job! Thanks a lot!

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have just removed smartbyte after doing a speed test on my inspiron 15 7000 and seeing terrible results. My wifi download speed improved from 5MB to 25 MB and my ethernet download speed improved from 5MB to 178MB

These are not typos. What is Dell thinking???

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks for posting this it was a big help 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Me too! It happened to me in the past couple of days. But after trying to disabling it first from Task Manager and went to speedtest, everything came back from 3-4Mbps to 20Mbps+. I immediately uninstalled it from control panel and hope it never goes back!. No idea on how it got installed in my laptop.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

OMG you are a life savior.  I was getting 5mbps then uninstalled this program and I got a wooping 200 mbps.  The difference...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

You are a technical GOD !!!!

Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.

I tried everything. I changed the Ethernet cable.  I changed the port on the cable modem.  I got a new Xfinity cable modem.  I bought a new Ethernet card.  Nothing worked.

I found your post about SmartByte.  I disabled SmartByte.  My speed test results went from 10 mbps (yes, 10 !!!) to 300 mbps.

Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.

This Bud is for you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Jump to solution

Bought a new Dell desktop 3 days ago after seeing my download speed at 5Mbps, I was able to debug and also find SmartByte as the culprit. Disabled it and Rivet Dynamic Bandwidth Management in Services and my speed went to 175Mbps. Spent a lot of time on this - wish I had seen this thread first (I found it by Googling SmartByte).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution
I kept running into your post unintentionally - searching for information about SmartByte and what it is and inadvertently settled my issue with slicing my Internet speed down the middle. Awesome employment! Much obliged!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I had this issue before, SmartByte was really killing my speed. 

The way I stopped this is by disabling it in System Configuration (Windows Key + R, MSCONFIG)

Click on Services tab and find "SmartByte  Network Services"  and untick it. 

Since then I have had not had a issue. 

1 Copper

Jump to solution

Well done and thanks for the post solved my problem was going to return my PC to Dell and get my money back!!!!!

Come on Dell get this sorted this is a new PC

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks for the info.  I also ran into this problem after upgrading my modem.  Speed was good coming from directly from modem and poor coming from a Linksys EA7300 router.    Once Smartbyte was deleted, speed test tripled.  I know that it affects the speed test but wonder how it affects actual downloads with video content considering Smartbyte is suppose to improve it.  Either way, there has to a lot of users who have this issue but may not be aware until they do a speed test!  

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Yes, I spent all the day trying to understand why the speed on my laptop and desktop is only 20 Mbps. Finally, I uninstalled smartbyte and the speed goes up to 150 mbps 🙂 🙂 

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thanks to this thread I just uninstalled SmartByte and now I have 35Mbps instead of 10Mbps

I have spent hours trying to fix this - including ordering a new wifi card.

Intel support tried hard to fix it - but couldn't find the culprit

Dell support just tried to make me spend a lot of money. They had no interest in talking about what the problem could be - and they just told me to send my Inspiron 5758 in for repair.

It would be great if Dell customer support were informed of this issue.   It would save your customers time and money

Cheers!

🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

So, I bought an expensive new Dell Gaming PC a couple of months ago. When I get a new PC I always uninstall all the pre-loaded software I'll never use. Ever since I got this machine I've only been pulling 40Mbps on a 100Mbps connection. Every other machine in the house was fine. It wasn't a deal breaker but the internet lag was getting worse and worse. I was going through the Start menu looking for something else and found this SmartByte by happenstance. I googled and the first result was this post. I immediately uninstalled and did a speed test. 120Mbps. Thank you kind stranger. 

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hey guys, I just found out on https://www.shouldiremoveit.com/SmartByte-188954-program.aspx 96% of people say KEEP this, and only 4% say remove.  Also, this site https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/SmartByte-Diagnostics/td-p/2225699 talks about how dell has added it to something to automatically reinstall if uninstalled.  I don't really want to uninstall in case I mess something up, also I don't know if it makes stuff better or worse.  Can someone please show me some video or documentation of how it is making stuff worse?  I am trying to stream in case you needed to know.  Also, it is taking up 30.6 mb of RAM.

***** GUYS I don't know if this is for other people, but my download speed went down a bit, and my upload speed went down a TON when I removed this.  Also, I spent 2 hours trying to restore to before removing it, but kept not working until restoring via the restart advanced options mode.  I obviously didn't know what I was doing, and wouldn't recommend others uninstalling this unless you are being very careful.  If someone can PLEASE tell me what went wrong, and how to fix this mess, that would be great.  Thanks! *****

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gave me back my sanity.
I knew it was my PC because it was the only one that had the problem, my kids thought I was going nuts since their PCs were not slow but then again their PCs are not Dell.

Went into "services" and changed SmartByte and Rivet Dynamic Bandwidth to DISABLED.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you for posting this!!!  My download speed was 4mbps  and when I uninstalled smartbyte it went back to were it should be at 60mbps. Interesting note, when I would test download speed using a VPN I would get the full speed (60mbps).

Thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Wow.  I reset Win10 because I couldn't figure out why my fiber net download speed went from 940Mbps to 45.  Normal speed resumed until today when it went back down to 11Mbps.  I saw SmartByte was installed, then read this thread.  UnInstalled it and - bam! - back to 950+ on the downloads.  I'll be sure this bloadware doesn't appear again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution
I have my Inspiron 3668 hooked up to a gigabit ethernet connection. I did a speed test the other day and was only getting no more than 25-30 mbps. I was about to call my ISP when I found this thread. I disabled "SmartByte network services" and immediately was back up to over 900 mbps. What type of disgusting garbage is this? This piece of **** bloatware was robbing my entire gigabit ethernet connection. I'm going to demand that Dell reimburse me for the cost of my internet connection for the entire time that SmartByte was active on my computer. Get ready to pay up Dell.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution
COMPLETELY AGREE I bought a brand new router that was getting 20mbps on every device except my computer, which I was averaging .12mbps, and yes that's correct 0.12mbps. I could hardly even load Google. It took me over 2 hours to by chance stumble on the SmartByte service in my task manager, and the moment I stopped it my connection speed skyrocketed. I don't know what purpose this application serves or why Dell would possibly put it on any computer they ever built, but I feel like I've just barely escaped being scammed by the very company that built my PC (for like the hundredth time). IMO Dell should stop preloading all of their computers will all of this useless software they come up with, Windows has plenty of that all ready.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

I thought it was my router because after hooking the Dell directly to modem my speeds were back to full speed. But later the problem came back with the new router installed. Dell tech said this is a program on all pc.s but it would seem its only on the Dells. Disabling it solves the problem.  Go to search in Windows 10 and type run and hit enter.
Type services.msc and hit enter.

Scroll down to Smartbyte Network Service and disable the program. Apply and hit ok and close then rerun speed test.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Okay, I'm yet another user to have this experience of Smartbyte (sillybyte?) halving my internet download speed as per dslreports' speed test. Have just disabled the service and now my speed is back up to normal. I have el cheapo DSL with ATT and these are my numbers: normal dowload @ about 13Mb/sec, with Smartbyte download @about 4 Mb/sec. I've wasted about two hours on this issue as I put this new laptop through its paces. Grrr....

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I was so very glad to stumble on this thread.  Got a brand new Dell Inspiron 5680 and it was constantly showing 100 MBps or less when I checked it.  I checked everything I knew of, swapped out my network cable, checked my router... nothing helped.  Yet my husband, connected to the same router, had speeds close to 300MBps.  I'm not one to give up on technical issues, so I kept looking and stumbled across this thread.  Sure enough, SmartBytes was loaded on my machine.  I stopped the service, set it to manual and Viola!  High speed connection once again.

I've read what SmartByte is supposed to do but all it really seems to be accomplishing is throttling internet speed!  For those less technical, it's a problem they won't be able to fix.  It makes no sense to have this installed!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Your post was very helpful.  Dell sold me a lemon, and after 18 months and 8 repairs I'm still trying to get the computer to run properly.  Your tip increased my download speed from 4Mbps to about 40Mbps.  That's still only one-third of what it should be, but it's clearly better than before.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

200Mbps internet but 100Mbps on Speedtest

So we've upgraded our speed from 100Mbps to 200Mbps. But speed tests still shows 100. 

My motherboard is a Gigabyte B85m Gaming 3. Does it support speeds faster than 100Mbps?

1. I'm assuming you are using an Ethernet cable.

Yes, your motherboard has a gigabit (1000 Mbps) Ethernet adapter. If it is connecting at 1 gigabit the indicator LED on the top left of the port will be orange. If you are only connecting at 100 Mbps then the LED will be green. If it is green, it is most likely that the cable you are using or what the cable connects to does not support gigabit Ethernet. 

Cat 5 cable does not support gigabit, Cat 5e and Cat 6 does.
  2. charter100mbpsupgradecapitola.jpg
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Dell slipped it in to my PC, causing my bandwidth to drop below the 100 Mbps I paid for, but after getting rid of it, my internet runs at full speed :D. I urge you to get rid of it now if it’s on your PC and you’re reading this

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Windows just did an update on my computer and put SmartByte back on it. How do you stop this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Same thing happened to my laptop. Back to slow network.  Can't believe that Dell is not aware of this and continues to support this terrible software.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

THANK YOU!

Setting up two Dell G3 laptops we bought our kids for Christmas. Couldn't get more than 10 Mbps download speed. We have 230 Mbps speeds everywhere else. After uninstalling this virus, errr "software" all is right.

Why in the world would Dell install this garbage?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

~I bought my Dell Inspiron laptop back on May 2017 with Windows 10 on it~had an issue trying to get on the internet and even get on the laptop itself~called Dell tech support and they went ahead and did something behind the scenes to make it run a bit better but still it was running slow~I have another Dell Inspiron running Vista Home Basic as that was running much faster than what I purchased~was going to send the new laptop back but the time ;lapsed by to do so and was stuck with this laptop~so in the meantime I have iolo System Mechanic Phoenix 360~just before I sent the laptop out to be fixed as I dropped it and messed up the motherboard the laptop seemed to be running well as I got rid of a lot of bloatware and seen some things on youtube to increase its speed~when I got the laptop back it was running very slow once again~as I did a cleaning with the Phoenix 360 I noticed that there was an unnecessary startup program and it was Smartbyte Network~did a Google search and everyone so far has given this a thumbs down like the Phoenix 360 did~I uninstalled this and disabled my updates~seems updates are a waste most of the times unless you are really into laptops~I got this laptop just to write on my blog sites as Vista does not have no more support from Google or any other platform~trust many more people see this on the internet~seems this was a waste of money for Dell to accept this program into their computers~cannot figure out what this thing is in the first place~btw I used my Dell with Vista from May 2017 up until November of this year while this ;laptop was collecting dust with frustration~I notice how cheaper they have made these laptops in the last 10 years as well~I am glad there is Google searches about problems like these and youtubers as well~what I wrote earlier on this reply really did the trick~sad many have to get frustrated with what it seems Dell knows but the user does not~amazing how something like this showed up on something not associated with this computer company but a cleaning service for computers instead which is dirt cheap and very reliable~I can only say thanks to iolo and not Dell and it was Dell that told me about the iolo service 4 years ago~btw as soon as I got rid of the Smartbyte guess what showed up on my laptop~you have 3 updates~I mean really~hahahaha~

0 Kudos