Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

13 Posts

August 6th, 2018 15:00

SmartByte, limits speed

If anyone has really fast internet and when you do a speed test you only get 100 Mbps, check to see if Dell has slipped the SmartByte application on to your PC. I have a 400 Mbps connection and 802.11AC wifi and my Inspiron PC would only get 100 Mbps at my ISP's official speedtest site.  i went through 3 different AC cards thinking it was them because my Ipad would always give me a speed of 400Mbps. Just by happenstance I uninstalled the SmartByte app, and lo and behold my speed now gives me 400+ Mbps. Here's the kicker, a day later the dang application was back and i was getting 100 Mbps again.  I didn't install it, it installed itself!  Every time i would uninstall it, a day later it would be back...ugh!  I do not know how to keep it from self installing so what I did was go to the "Services" tab of Windows 10's task Manager and stopped the service "SmartByte Network services"  after doing this i have my full speed back again, and the app doesn't "restart" itself.

1 Message

November 12th, 2018 20:00

I have my Inspiron 3668 hooked up to a gigabit ethernet connection. I did a speed test the other day and was only getting no more than 25-30 mbps. I was about to call my ISP when I found this thread. I disabled "SmartByte network services" and immediately was back up to over 900 mbps. What type of disgusting garbage is this? This piece of **** bloatware was robbing my entire gigabit ethernet connection. I'm going to demand that Dell reimburse me for the cost of my internet connection for the entire time that SmartByte was active on my computer. Get ready to pay up Dell.

1 Message

November 13th, 2018 06:00

COMPLETELY AGREE I bought a brand new router that was getting 20mbps on every device except my computer, which I was averaging .12mbps, and yes that's correct 0.12mbps. I could hardly even load Google. It took me over 2 hours to by chance stumble on the SmartByte service in my task manager, and the moment I stopped it my connection speed skyrocketed. I don't know what purpose this application serves or why Dell would possibly put it on any computer they ever built, but I feel like I've just barely escaped being scammed by the very company that built my PC (for like the hundredth time). IMO Dell should stop preloading all of their computers will all of this useless software they come up with, Windows has plenty of that all ready.

November 13th, 2018 10:00

I thought it was my router because after hooking the Dell directly to modem my speeds were back to full speed. But later the problem came back with the new router installed. Dell tech said this is a program on all pc.s but it would seem its only on the Dells. Disabling it solves the problem.  Go to search in Windows 10 and type run and hit enter.
Type services.msc and hit enter.

Scroll down to Smartbyte Network Service and disable the program. Apply and hit ok and close then rerun speed test.

1 Message

November 23rd, 2018 22:00

Okay, I'm yet another user to have this experience of Smartbyte (sillybyte?) halving my internet download speed as per dslreports' speed test. Have just disabled the service and now my speed is back up to normal. I have el cheapo DSL with ATT and these are my numbers: normal dowload @ about 13Mb/sec, with Smartbyte download @about 4 Mb/sec. I've wasted about two hours on this issue as I put this new laptop through its paces. Grrr....

1 Message

November 27th, 2018 04:00

I was so very glad to stumble on this thread.  Got a brand new Dell Inspiron 5680 and it was constantly showing 100 MBps or less when I checked it.  I checked everything I knew of, swapped out my network cable, checked my router... nothing helped.  Yet my husband, connected to the same router, had speeds close to 300MBps.  I'm not one to give up on technical issues, so I kept looking and stumbled across this thread.  Sure enough, SmartBytes was loaded on my machine.  I stopped the service, set it to manual and Viola!  High speed connection once again.

I've read what SmartByte is supposed to do but all it really seems to be accomplishing is throttling internet speed!  For those less technical, it's a problem they won't be able to fix.  It makes no sense to have this installed!

December 1st, 2018 08:00

Your post was very helpful.  Dell sold me a lemon, and after 18 months and 8 repairs I'm still trying to get the computer to run properly.  Your tip increased my download speed from 4Mbps to about 40Mbps.  That's still only one-third of what it should be, but it's clearly better than before.

1 Message

December 1st, 2018 22:00

200Mbps internet but 100Mbps on Speedtest

So we've upgraded our speed from 100Mbps to 200Mbps. But speed tests still shows 100. 

My motherboard is a Gigabyte B85m Gaming 3. Does it support speeds faster than 100Mbps?

1. I'm assuming you are using an Ethernet cable.

Yes, your motherboard has a gigabit (1000 Mbps) Ethernet adapter. If it is connecting at 1 gigabit the indicator LED on the top left of the port will be orange. If you are only connecting at 100 Mbps then the LED will be green. If it is green, it is most likely that the cable you are using or what the cable connects to does not support gigabit Ethernet. 

Cat 5 cable does not support gigabit, Cat 5e and Cat 6 does.
  2. charter100mbpsupgradecapitola.jpg

December 6th, 2018 13:00

Dell slipped it in to my PC, causing my bandwidth to drop below the 100 Mbps I paid for, but after getting rid of it, my internet runs at full speed :D. I urge you to get rid of it now if it’s on your PC and you’re reading this

December 20th, 2018 06:00

Windows just did an update on my computer and put SmartByte back on it. How do you stop this?

1 Message

December 20th, 2018 19:00

Same thing happened to my laptop. Back to slow network.  Can't believe that Dell is not aware of this and continues to support this terrible software.

December 22nd, 2018 20:00

THANK YOU!

Setting up two Dell G3 laptops we bought our kids for Christmas. Couldn't get more than 10 Mbps download speed. We have 230 Mbps speeds everywhere else. After uninstalling this virus, errr "software" all is right.

Why in the world would Dell install this garbage?

2 Posts

December 23rd, 2018 20:00

~I bought my Dell Inspiron laptop back on May 2017 with Windows 10 on it~had an issue trying to get on the internet and even get on the laptop itself~called Dell tech support and they went ahead and did something behind the scenes to make it run a bit better but still it was running slow~I have another Dell Inspiron running Vista Home Basic as that was running much faster than what I purchased~was going to send the new laptop back but the time ;lapsed by to do so and was stuck with this laptop~so in the meantime I have iolo System Mechanic Phoenix 360~just before I sent the laptop out to be fixed as I dropped it and messed up the motherboard the laptop seemed to be running well as I got rid of a lot of bloatware and seen some things on youtube to increase its speed~when I got the laptop back it was running very slow once again~as I did a cleaning with the Phoenix 360 I noticed that there was an unnecessary startup program and it was Smartbyte Network~did a Google search and everyone so far has given this a thumbs down like the Phoenix 360 did~I uninstalled this and disabled my updates~seems updates are a waste most of the times unless you are really into laptops~I got this laptop just to write on my blog sites as Vista does not have no more support from Google or any other platform~trust many more people see this on the internet~seems this was a waste of money for Dell to accept this program into their computers~cannot figure out what this thing is in the first place~btw I used my Dell with Vista from May 2017 up until November of this year while this ;laptop was collecting dust with frustration~I notice how cheaper they have made these laptops in the last 10 years as well~I am glad there is Google searches about problems like these and youtubers as well~what I wrote earlier on this reply really did the trick~sad many have to get frustrated with what it seems Dell knows but the user does not~amazing how something like this showed up on something not associated with this computer company but a cleaning service for computers instead which is dirt cheap and very reliable~I can only say thanks to iolo and not Dell and it was Dell that told me about the iolo service 4 years ago~btw as soon as I got rid of the Smartbyte guess what showed up on my laptop~you have 3 updates~I mean really~hahahaha~

1 Message

December 31st, 2018 06:00

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

1 Message

January 4th, 2019 08:00

My wife had intermittent WiFi so I contacted Dell Chat support. They immediately looked up Smartbyte and uninstalled it. Must be a known issue. Do not know if the fix will work. Only time will tell.

Thanks for your OP. Really appreciate it

As they say, happy WiFi, happy WiFe, happy Life!

1 Message

January 8th, 2019 19:00

Wow...thank goodness I found this. I have fiber to my house and was always astonished at how slow my laptop performed. After uninstalling this, my laptop's internet performance is right where it should be. Thank you so much for sharing this.

No Events found!