Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

13 Posts

August 6th, 2018 15:00

SmartByte, limits speed

If anyone has really fast internet and when you do a speed test you only get 100 Mbps, check to see if Dell has slipped the SmartByte application on to your PC. I have a 400 Mbps connection and 802.11AC wifi and my Inspiron PC would only get 100 Mbps at my ISP's official speedtest site.  i went through 3 different AC cards thinking it was them because my Ipad would always give me a speed of 400Mbps. Just by happenstance I uninstalled the SmartByte app, and lo and behold my speed now gives me 400+ Mbps. Here's the kicker, a day later the dang application was back and i was getting 100 Mbps again.  I didn't install it, it installed itself!  Every time i would uninstall it, a day later it would be back...ugh!  I do not know how to keep it from self installing so what I did was go to the "Services" tab of Windows 10's task Manager and stopped the service "SmartByte Network services"  after doing this i have my full speed back again, and the app doesn't "restart" itself.

March 14th, 2019 11:00

Hello @Danijo,

You can install the latest version of SmartByte by downloading it from here - http://support.rivetnetworks.com/. However, that is unlikely to have much effect on your bandwidth speed, as SmartByte is designed to decrease latency, not increase your bandwidth speed. It sounds like you may need to update your Intel Wireless drivers. You can do that by downloading the driver package from here - https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=vg6m5.

-- Anthony with Rivet Networks

March 15th, 2019 09:00

I did 2 simple tests. 

1. Ran google speedtest with SmartByte running.  Then ran with SmartByte turned off.  Then repeated 3 times. 
In general turning off and on always produced slower speeds with SmartByte on in this sequence.

2. Then tested running 3 times in a roll with SmartByte on.  Then 3 times in a roll off.
When on, each successive test was increasingly much faster.
When off, each successive test was same but a bit slower than the final successive test with SmartByte on.

Conclusion (based on this tiny data set).
If your internet traffic is successive from the same source, SmartByte helps.
If your internet traffic hits new sources the SmartByte does not help.

p.s. Better results with SmartByte off when using video sites(which seems in defiance of the conclusion above...)

3 Posts

March 18th, 2019 11:00

Amazing thank you so much for this reply/thread.

I bought a new Inspiron 2 in 1 a couple of weeks ago and only just noticed how slow it online after doing a speedtest.

Finding this thread has no doubt saved me a lot of time, hassle , frustration and calls to baffled Dell Tech support.

Download time with SmartByte installed:

5G WiFi - 4.67Mbps

2G WiFi - 4.34Mbps

Download time (sat it the same seat) after getting rid of it:

5G Wifi - 98.40Mbps

2G Wifi - 21Mbps

Thanks again,

Nick

March 18th, 2019 14:00

Hello @NickFiend,

Was this with the latest Intel Wi-Fi driver and the latest version of SmartByte installed? If your machine is brand new, it will have what was installed before it was boxed up, so updating would likely resolve this issue.

-- Anthony with Rivet Networks

3 Posts

April 4th, 2019 12:00

Guess what.. After uninstalling the Smartbyte software, i've had lightning speeds on my inspiron wifi connection. Today, 4.4.19, I noticed things were slow again. Did a speedtest on 2G and 5G wifi, and super slow speeds yet again. Oh look, the latest Dell updates included a new Smartbyte update! Uninstalled it and now back to normal again. Why, just why!!!!!

April 5th, 2019 05:00

Sadly I had to uninstall Dell Update too. Their "Dell Update Services" keep on installing the SmartByte software that I DON'T WANT on my machine. Is so hard to understand that? If I uninstall something, I expect it to be removed permanently. If I wish to use that software I'll install it again. Stop forcing users. You think that it brings better performance, we don't.

6 Posts

April 5th, 2019 10:00

Sorry but even with latest Intel Wi-Fi drivers updated and last version of SmartByte it's the same old story. It kills 50% of bandwidth. Let customers decide whether to install or not.

April 6th, 2019 21:00

I also had to uninstall various Dell update services from my machine because Smartbyte kept coming back. I suppose I can update other drivers manually using the Dell support web site and my service tag. I have a vague idea of the purpose of Smartbyte, to prioritize video if I'm not mistaken. However, I've never had a problem with video speeds and bandwidth before Smartbyte was installed. It's a solution to a problem I never had, and all it did was create problems I didn't need. If getting rid of ALL Dell support software means Smartbyte isn't coming back, to quote Fred Jones from Scooby-Doo, "Works For Me."

1 Message

April 8th, 2019 05:00

I am having the issues with it stopping outlook from sending emails as well. What is the purpose of Smartbyte, when i delete it everything i need works fine, so why reinstall it?

April 8th, 2019 10:00

@Mask69 wrote:

Sorry but even with latest Intel Wi-Fi drivers updated and last version of SmartByte it's the same old story. It kills 50% of bandwidth. Let customers decide whether to install or not.

Would you mind sending us a diagnostic from your machine? We would like to take a look and see if there is any additional information that we do not currently have so that we can further investigate this issue. 

You should have an application called "SmartByte Diagnostics" on your machine, accessible from the Start Menu, in the SmartByte folder.

Once you have located the application, please run the application, click Start at the bottom left and then, once it is finished, click Save to save the output file.

You can email us at smartbytesupport@rivetnetworks.com. Please attach the diagnostic to your email. Please do not copy and paste the contents of the diagnostic, as our email client may cut part of it off. Please send it to us as an attachment. 

Thank you!

-- Anthony with SmartByte

1 Message

April 9th, 2019 17:00

Exactly the same as SpeeDyLOCO I was having problems with my brand new Dell Inspiron 7580 and a brand new installation of Outlook (2016? - the latest version anyway). Whilst it would send emails from my POP3 accounts with BTInternet.com it wouldn't send any from Gmail or Yahoo. The Outlook test messages worked okay so it wasn't the password (although I switched off 2 factor authentication just in case although I knew it wasn't that as the same accounts with exactly the same settings worked fine still on my old Samsung laptop with the same version of Outlook). The messages from Gmail and Yahoo would just hang in the Outbox forever. Dell support were as much use as a chocolate teapot and just referred me to PC World whom I'd bought the thing from. PC World support were okay at first as I'd taken out the £8 per month support plan to help out the sales guy but cancelled it three days later. They didn't want to know after that and just told me to do a factory re-set. Muppets! I'd already done a LOT of searching the Internet for answers all to no avail, so then I got on to Microsoft Office support. One of their tech guys took remote control of my Dell and was mystified. He spent about 90 minutes and couldn't work it out. He upgraded my case to 'level 2' support and said they'd call me 'on Wednesday'. They didn't. A call did come the following Wednesday but only rang 5 times and they hung up before I could pick up. Aaaargh! And you cannot contact MS level 2 support yourself in any way. I tried back with the online chat at level 1 and as soon as they found out that it was escalated to level 2 already they didn't want to know. Promised that they'd call me back later the same day. Nothing. So after another 3 weeks or so, I got back onto another level 1 tech by online chat. He again took remote control and I didn't tell him it was already with level 2, I wanted him to have a try at least. And, you know what... he managed, after about an hour, to isolate it. He went through all the previous stuff like a new Outlook profile and, this time a new Windows profile. Neither worked but then he did a clean boot with only MS services running and EUREKA! the emails started sending. Which just left me to keep turning on the services that had been set not to load one by one until I found the offender. Actually I turned on half at a time and got there fairly quickly. And of course, the offender was SmartByte. I tried to update it... the Dell support site where you update your drivers had a new version of SmartByte with a date of just a few days ago on it, but on installing it, it was actually just the same version anyway. Another expletive from my mouth. Anyway, I uninstalled it with Revo Uninstaller Pro (although that's probably not necessary as it didn't find anything left over) but there was still SmartByte left in the start menu alphabetical list which I could right click on and get an uninstall button. I guess from the MS app store rather than a whole program. And then there were a couple of things in Location: C:\ProgramData\Dell\ that I searched for 'smartbyte' and deleted. And now everything works fine. I'm not sure if SmartByte will try to come back and I'm not interested in trying to see if all the other Dell software is up to date and compatible with it. I've never had a computer with SmartByte before and I've never missed it. Don't think I will now.

6 Posts

April 10th, 2019 18:00

@RivetNetworks wrote:

@Mask69 wrote:

Would you mind sending us a diagnostic from your machine? We would like to take a look and see if there is any additional information that we do not currently have so that we can further investigate this issue. 

You should have an application called "SmartByte Diagnostics" on your machine, accessible from the Start Menu, in the SmartByte folder.

Once you have located the application, please run the application, click Start at the bottom left and then, once it is finished, click Save to save the output file.

You can email us at smartbytesupport@rivetnetworks.com. Please attach the diagnostic to your email. Please do not copy and paste the contents of the diagnostic, as our email client may cut part of it off. Please send it to us as an attachment. 

Thank you!

-- Anthony with SmartByte

Thank you for your response. I sent the file by email. I hope will be helpful.

1 Message

April 11th, 2019 23:00

I am having a similar problem. I don't have encountered or discovered an issue created by this program, but i remember to have uninstalled it before. And it has come back without me installing it. It doesn't seem to be a Dell's program, since its publisher shown in "Programs and Features" of Control Panel is Rivet Networks. So I believe it to be part of some other software's installer package, through which this program seems to be sneaking into our systems. If anyone has found a solution, could you please let me know? Many Thanks.

April 12th, 2019 18:00

When I try to uninstall SmartByte, a box pops up that says: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." Suggestion for how to get rid of it?

1 Message

April 13th, 2019 11:00

Smartbyte is like the technical version of herpes it never seems to want to disappear Completely. Everytime I try to uninstall it it comes back no matter what uninstaller I use. I'm a virtual DJ so smartbyte interferes with my program that I used to DJ with. There's days where I have to uninstall it two or three times. It can get really annoying 

No Events found!