Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

13 Posts

August 6th, 2018 15:00

SmartByte, limits speed

If anyone has really fast internet and when you do a speed test you only get 100 Mbps, check to see if Dell has slipped the SmartByte application on to your PC. I have a 400 Mbps connection and 802.11AC wifi and my Inspiron PC would only get 100 Mbps at my ISP's official speedtest site.  i went through 3 different AC cards thinking it was them because my Ipad would always give me a speed of 400Mbps. Just by happenstance I uninstalled the SmartByte app, and lo and behold my speed now gives me 400+ Mbps. Here's the kicker, a day later the dang application was back and i was getting 100 Mbps again.  I didn't install it, it installed itself!  Every time i would uninstall it, a day later it would be back...ugh!  I do not know how to keep it from self installing so what I did was go to the "Services" tab of Windows 10's task Manager and stopped the service "SmartByte Network services"  after doing this i have my full speed back again, and the app doesn't "restart" itself.

1 Message

April 17th, 2019 11:00

I removed everything related to Dell in the control panel including Smartbyte. I also did a regedit to remove Smartbyte in the system registry.

2 Posts

April 18th, 2019 06:00

It is time for Dell to fix this problem!!!!!!

9.4K Posts

April 18th, 2019 07:00

Before uninstalling SmartByte, you could try simply turning it off, then retest to see if that fixed the issue. All known issues relating to bandwidth which were reported on the earlier versions of SmartByte have been resolved with the latest version.

* Open the Control Panel
* Open SmartByte App and toggle to On
* Run Speedtest.net to capture download speed
* Open SmartByte App and toggle to Off
* Run Speedtest.net again to capture download speed
* Compare the results. If the speed captured when toggled On is similar or higher than when toggled Off, turn SmartByte toggle back On. Otherwise, leave SmartByte toggled Off

(edited)

1 Message

April 26th, 2019 06:00

I have a Dell Inspiron G3 and have found that SmartByte is blocking my email sending connection via Outlook and Microsoft mail. As soon as I kill SmartByte, my email is now able to send. After many hours on the phone with Dell support, one Tech finally found the issue. Wanted to share with this group. Don D.

1 Message

April 29th, 2019 03:00

Dell downloaded Smartbytes 2.0.643 onto my Inspiron earlier this month. I use wired (not wireless) connections and it made no difference to my internet speeds. However I decided to follow Rivet's recommendation to update to the latest version 2.5.719. This reduced my internet download speed from nearly 40 to under 10. Rivet recommended changing my drivers but I decided to play safe and uninstall Smartbytes completely.
This was not straightforward. When initially trying to uninstall the program I kept on getting an error message. I found I had to go into Services and disable Smartbytes Drives & Services and Rivet Networks Dynamics Bandwidth Manager; then restart my computer, then uninstall the program.

May 13th, 2019 08:00

I just realized my WiFi device itself was selecting 2.4G when 5G was available. By telling the device to prefer 5G, my download speed went from 50M/s to 300/Ms roughly. https://anderson.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115014906108-Change-Preferred-WiFi-Band-for-Windows-Computers

May 13th, 2019 11:00

I have a Dell G7, and I've had browser problems for the last three days (on multiple browsers)--some websites not loading fully; sites like Netflix and Facebook telling me my login credentials were incorrect (when they weren't); receiving messages that websites could not be found; receiving ERR_SSL_BAD_RECORD_MAC_ALERT errors; etc. After some searching, I finally determined that the problem was with the Killer Control Center and Driver Suite. I managed to uninstall the software and only install the updated drivers. This fixed the browser issues, but then I realized that my wireless download speeds had slowed to a crawl. I found this thread and then disabled SmartBytes--my download speed shot up from 1.45 Mbps to 323 Mbps. If Killer software is going to continue to cause these problems, then Dell needs to explicitly present the issues and recommended fixes in SupportAssist. Folks shouldn't have to dig around the internet to find solutions.

28 Posts

May 14th, 2019 10:00

Thank you for the detailed procedure to remove SmartByte from my Inspiron 5675. It worked perfectly! My wired speeds seem to have improved dramatically when I run the speedtest application on DSLReports.com. Thank you again.

2 Posts

May 14th, 2019 18:00

Jacked my Outlook and crippled my business!! This took me over a month, 3 calls to my Web Hosting provider for hours on the phone to India and trying to debug to find this issue. My emails were getting hung in Outlook.  What really threw me off was small emails and test messages were getting out OK. I even jacked my office key uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook. Other internet traffic was fine. Port testing and pinging, etc. all fine. In the interim, before finding the issue, I had been forwarding emails from my PC to phone and then to customers. Delaying Purchase Orders, Invoicing and all correspondence. And how embarrassing when meeting a new client, instead of getting a fancy signature from Outlook, they got, "Get Outlook for Android," as my signature. I was just about ready to trash my Web Hosting provider and move my MX records to Google. I stumbled upon doing a speed test from Speak Easy and showing no outbound speed and port blocked message and then immediately went on the hunt for the service that was jacking my outgoing ports. Long story short, like others have found, Killing the SmartByte service allowed my Outlook to start sending emails again.  With 2 G7 laptops for my engineering business, this is so not cool. The fact that this issue exists and looks as though it has existed is really bad for you guys. This is a business killer. I have 20 hours of my life that I'll never get back and inconvenienced beyond belief. NOT COOL AT ALL. Never let this happen to your brand name again.

(edited)

1 Message

May 15th, 2019 03:00

Uninstalled SmartByte on my Dell 7000. It was causing internet dropouts whenever I turned on VPN (NordVPN to be specific). In addition some video content sites such as Udemy was extremely slow. It took me several hours to find out SmartByte was causing the issue. This is totally unacceptable.

(edited)

No Events found!