Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: Beware of SmartByte

Jump to solution

Sorry but even with latest Intel Wi-Fi drivers updated and last version of SmartByte it's the same old story. It kills 50% of bandwidth. Let customers decide whether to install or not.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

@Mask69 wrote:

Sorry but even with latest Intel Wi-Fi drivers updated and last version of SmartByte it's the same old story. It kills 50% of bandwidth. Let customers decide whether to install or not.

Would you mind sending us a diagnostic from your machine? We would like to take a look and see if there is any additional information that we do not currently have so that we can further investigate this issue. 

You should have an application called "SmartByte Diagnostics" on your machine, accessible from the Start Menu, in the SmartByte folder.

Once you have located the application, please run the application, click Start at the bottom left and then, once it is finished, click Save to save the output file.

You can email us at smartbytesupport@rivetnetworks.com. Please attach the diagnostic to your email. Please do not copy and paste the contents of the diagnostic, as our email client may cut part of it off. Please send it to us as an attachment. 

Thank you!

-- Anthony with SmartByte

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

@RivetNetworks wrote:

@Mask69 wrote:

Would you mind sending us a diagnostic from your machine? We would like to take a look and see if there is any additional information that we do not currently have so that we can further investigate this issue. 

You should have an application called "SmartByte Diagnostics" on your machine, accessible from the Start Menu, in the SmartByte folder.

Once you have located the application, please run the application, click Start at the bottom left and then, once it is finished, click Save to save the output file.

You can email us at smartbytesupport@rivetnetworks.com. Please attach the diagnostic to your email. Please do not copy and paste the contents of the diagnostic, as our email client may cut part of it off. Please send it to us as an attachment. 

Thank you!

-- Anthony with SmartByte

Thank you for your response. I sent the file by email. I hope will be helpful.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution
I am having a similar problem. I don't have encountered or discovered an issue created by this program, but i remember to have uninstalled it before. And it has come back without me installing it. It doesn't seem to be a Dell's program, since its publisher shown in "Programs and Features" of Control Panel is Rivet Networks. So I believe it to be part of some other software's installer package, through which this program seems to be sneaking into our systems. If anyone has found a solution, could you please let me know? Many Thanks.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

When I try to uninstall SmartByte, a box pops up that says: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." Suggestion for how to get rid of it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I removed everything related to Dell in the control panel including Smartbyte. I also did a regedit to remove Smartbyte in the system registry.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

It is time for Dell to fix this problem!!!!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi bp1950,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.  Dell is working with the manufacturer on this, see the above posts.

Have you been able to contact Anthony @RivetNetworks ?  They have a new version of SmartByte that's is working well for a lot of customers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Dell downloaded Smartbytes 2.0.643 onto my Inspiron earlier this month. I use wired (not wireless) connections and it made no difference to my internet speeds. However I decided to follow Rivet's recommendation to update to the latest version 2.5.719. This reduced my internet download speed from nearly 40 to under 10. Rivet recommended changing my drivers but I decided to play safe and uninstall Smartbytes completely.
This was not straightforward. When initially trying to uninstall the program I kept on getting an error message. I found I had to go into Services and disable Smartbytes Drives & Services and Rivet Networks Dynamics Bandwidth Manager; then restart my computer, then uninstall the program.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I just realized my WiFi device itself was selecting 2.4G when 5G was available. By telling the device to prefer 5G, my download speed went from 50M/s to 300/Ms roughly. https://anderson.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115014906108-Change-Preferred-WiFi-Band-for-Windows-C...

0 Kudos