Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 19th, 2009 16:00

Blue screen of death - HELP Please!

I'm not really good at technical talk so I hope I can give you all the information you need to try and help me. I appreciate any help, and thank you for taking the time to try and explain this all to me, please explain it like you're telling a teenager so maybe I can follow all the steps.

I think it all started with a download from AT&T Yahoo for their anti virus suite package. After I did that download all my bookmarks went missing. They're around somewhere because if you go to bookmarks.yahoo.com they are there but not when I click on my bookmarks icon. If I try to add a bookmark there is an error that it failed. I don't know if that started ALL the following problems but maybe so I included it just in case.

After this, another family member was on the computer and when I went to the dell user log in screen to go back to my user I got a pop-up, I believe it said the DEP protection (maybe it said DOP?) needed to be turned off for some reason or another (sorry I really don't know what any of it meant). So I clicked on what should I do? and that gave me a help screen with zero advice on what to do it was more just background on the DEP (DOP?) functions (I hope that makes sense) at the bottom of the screen there was related articles, I clicked on a related article that was titled what should you do and I got a TON of little windows that popped up saying do you want to display the secure and non secure items. I tried closing them by clicking no over and over but it was taking forever so I shut it down. I don't know if it downloaded or was trying to download something but I have a feeling it was.

When I turned my system back on it of course went to the user log on screen, and when I put in my password it said it was logging on, then it immediately said logging off then saving settings and has never come back up regardless of how many times we tried and even in safe mode and no matter which user we tried. My mom tried to work on it some after that and I have no idea what she did other than a fix it utilities disc and messing with the set up you get when you press F2 when booting up. When I did turn the computer on next I went to try and log in in safe mode and that's when the blue screen of death came up.

It says I need to disable anti-virus, debugging and something else (sorry I am really bad at this) and I don't know how to do that. I looked on the dell.com site because the microsoft site says "Try disabling any virus scanners, backup programs, or disk defragmenter tools that continually monitor the system. You also need to run hardware diagnostics supplied by the system manufacturer. For details on these procedures, see the owners manual for your computer. "  The error at the bottom of the blue screen of death is 0x00000024 which is what I googled to get to the microsoft site.

I can't figure out how to do those things listed above in italics because I didn't know where to click in the manual (like what section) to get to where that information would by while looking on dell.com at the manual.

I do not have a boot disc but I downloaded the windows xp home ones from microsoft onto a CD and went to the blue setup screen and BIOS and told it to load from the CD first, then rebooted and that didn't work.

One thing that may help for you to know is that when it boots up, since my mom had it, it doesn't go to the choose a user screen, it goes to this black screen with white letters with the options to start windows in safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt, the last good configuration (which was also something I tried that didn't work) and start windows normally.

It's a dell inspiron B130, as I said I am running Windows XP Home. I really do not know what else there is that I could tell you, I hope that's enough to get some help. I really need to be able to get all my information from that computer. PLEASE HELP ME. And thank you so much for reading all of this. I appreciate any and all effort to help

No Responses!
No Events found!