Highlighted
redboffin
1 Copper

Bluetooth Wifi Clashing : Wifi Internet Drops intermittently

I have an Inspiron 5748 running Windows 10 Pro.

I recently bought a pair of Bose QuietComfort 35 bluetooth headphones. When I pair the headphones to my laptop, my wifi connection drops repeatedly and intermittently. When I unpair the headphones from my laptop, my wifi connection returns to normal.

I have upgraded my laptops bluetooth and networking drivers to the latest version, plus updated the firmware on the QC35's to the latest.

I have run diagnostic tests on my laptops bluetooth and networking services - all passed.

I have run diagnostics on my Virgin Broadband wifi router - all passed.

Something about the bluetooth and the wifi is clashing but I'm at a loss as to what to do next in order to zero in on the cause of the problem.

Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
3 Replies

RE: Bluetooth Wifi Clashing : Wifi Internet Drops intermittently

Hi Redboffin,

Do you know what wifi and bluetooth card your system is using (it should be a combo card I just need the model)? And just to verify, you only have this issue w/ the wifi when the headphones are paired with the system?

Have you had this issue with other bluetooth devices on the system (regarding the wifi), or is this the first device that you have tested the card with? 

Sorry for all of the questions, but I want to make sure I am not missing anything. 

Best regards,

Brad

0 Kudos
redboffin
1 Copper

Hello Brad,

Thanks for taking the time to look into this for me.

Here are the details you need.

555-BBCB : DW 1705 + BT4.0 [802.11bgn + Bluetooth 4.0, 2.4 GHz, 1x1]

C3Y4J - CARD (CIRCUIT), WIRELESS, HMC, DW1705BN, WORLD WIDE, FOXCONN
YXKRV - LABEL, REGULATORY, WIRELESS, DW1705, CSMB, WORLD WIDE

Device Manager
|
|__Bluetooth
|    |_ Bose QuietComfort 35
|    |_ Dell Wireless 1705 Bluetooth
|    |_ Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator
|    |_ Microsoft Bluetooth LE Enumerator
|
|__Network Adapters
      |_ Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)
      |_ Bluetooth PAN Help Text
      |_ Dell Wireless 1705 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHZ)
      |_ Realtek PCIe Family Controller

I have this issue when the headphones are paired with the laptop (but see test below).

I don't have any other bluetooth devices to pair with my laptop.

I just did a little test and found that with my headphones powered off completely and bluetooth disabled on my laptop, my wifi connection is perfect. When I enable bluetooth on my laptop and keep my headphones powered off, the wifi connection drops intermittently.

If you need any more information or need me to test anything then let me know.

Do you need information about my wireless router?

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos

Thanks for all of the information. Have you tried going into Device Manager and then right clicking on the Dell Wireless 1705 card and selecting properties and then clicking on the Power Management tab and unchecking "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"? You should also be able to access some more settings for the card under advanced settings, but try this first to see if it changes anything (regarding turning the BT on). 

If this doesn't work, have you tried deleting the driver for the 1705 card and letting Windows install drivers automatically (after a restart)? 

Thanks,

Brad

0 Kudos