Highlighted
crazylegs33
1 Copper

Bluetooth not working correctly after Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 (SP2) intallation on Dell Notebook

I have searched this forum and almost all resources on the net for days now to no avail.  Please move this post to a more appropriate thread as I could not find one that is truly representative and am a newb at this. 

Problem synopsis:  Bluetooth connectivity does not work properly after Window Vista Home Premium Service Packs 1 and 2 (SP 1 and 2) installation.

My system:

Dell Inspiron E1705 Notebook, 32 bit Winows Vista Home Premium SP2, Dell Wireless Bluetooth Module 355 + 2.0 EDR

*My system was purchased in 2006 with Windows XP but was eligible for a free Windows Vista Home Premium Upgrade which I did. I installed Windows Service Pack 1 and 2 a week ago.

Problem: After downloading and installing the Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1 and 2 (SP 1 and 2), my system will not recognize my Bluetooth device (a Sprint Touch-also known as HTC Vogue).  I stress that I had no problems connecting with this device before the downloads.  I cannot revert to the pre-SP 1 and 2 state because my system restore does not have those points available anymore.

I have read several posts on various sites about people having similar problems with Bluetooth connectivity after the Vista SP 1 and 2 installations.  The problem is obviously the need for an updated driver.  I went to Dell's driver download site and the only Blueooth upgrades available are these. (Note: these drivers all date from 2006 and 2007).

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&cs=RC956904&l=en&s=pub&SystemID=INS_...

I had these installed before the SP 1 and 2 were installed and they worked fine. After the upgrade, these drivers to not work.  They will not recognize BT devices.  I have tried to upgrade the drivers using the suggested Broadcom update located below but recieve an installation error stating to contact Dell.

http://www.broadcom.com/support/bluetooth/update.php

I have contacted Dell via email and on the phone but they wish to charge me $60 for a one time service call just to discuss the problem because my warranty has expired. Providing updated drivers is not a warranty issue in my opinion.  Even after explaining the situation their tech support continues to just send me the above Dell Driver download link with outdated drivers.  I assume this is what they are instructed to do so they do not have to admit a compatibility issue.  This obviously this is the same link they would charge $60 to send.  I have explained that I just need a Dell Bluetooth Driver of at least version 6.3.   Needless to say, I will never purchase another Dell product.

Does anyone have experience with this issue? I would appreciate a link to some generic bluetooth drivers of the Version 6.3 type that will allow me to use the Broadcom link to update to the latest version that will work with Vista SP 1 and 2. 

Thank you for your assistance.  This is very disappointing customer service from a company I previously respected and had no problems with their products.

0 Kudos