Highlighted
DELL-Larry R
4 Germanium

Re: Bluetooth not working

From the sounds of things, the NSS is what is needed to fix this.  Unfortunately, if we don't sell the system with WinXP we may not have an XP version of the NSS for that computer.

The NSS is basically Dell's addition to the chipset specific to the hardware combination used in the sytem.  Every system I have seen that uses the NSS (or DSS for desktops) has hardware that the chipset or other drivers does not enable correctly (or at all) without that additional software installed.

cc-vortex
1 Nickel

I'm almost positive that Dell sold a 1720 that had XP on it, so I figured it had to exist. Not sure why it wouldn't be available as a download though.

0 Kudos
DELL-Larry R
4 Germanium

I hadn't actually checked before.  I do show a list of drivers for the Inspiron 1720 running XP, but I don't see a NSS listed.  For Vista, the NSS is needed, however, which means I would have expected it to be needed for XP.

0 Kudos
cc-vortex
1 Nickel

Exactly. Plus, if you compare the list of drivers available for Vista to the XP list there's other drivers missing as well. The Bluetooth one for starters...

0 Kudos
cc-vortex
1 Nickel

I have absolutely confirmed that Dell did sell 1720's with Win XP, so if those drivers are missing it can only be because Dell is bending to the will of Microsoft and abandoning XP for awful, buggy, unstable Vista.  No good

0 Kudos
Thereal-dbk4297
4 Ruthenium

Exactly. Plus, if you compare the list of drivers available for Vista to the XP list there's other drivers missing as well. The Bluetooth one for starters...

Hello once again,

Have you at least installed the required "Chipset" files in safe mode?

Since you seen to understand a little about computers, you should be able to understand that the bluetooth function is controlled by the motherboard. That being said, the "Chipset" files work on the 'motherboard' to help things like the "Bluetooth" to work.

Mis Dos Centavos,
Darrell

Gadfly at large

Helping Dell Customers here since 1998

My systems ...
Dimension XPS D266 - Now retired
Toshiba Tecra M1
Dimension 4300 - Received DOA as a gift. Reinstalled XP and still working great
Dimension 9150 - Pent D 3.2GHz, 4GB dual-channel 533 DDR2 Windows 7 Pro, Firefox 3.6.14
  Congrats to Jimmie Johnson #48 - FIVE time Nascar Sprint Cup Champ !!!!  

Tags (1)
cc-vortex
1 Nickel

I know what chipset drivers do, yes. And yes, I booted into safe-mode to (re)install them.

I finally found a version of QuickSet that works on a 1720 running XP and noticed that when I was using version A00 of the chipset drivers it saw I had a BT module installed, but when I upgraded to A02, QuickSet no longer sees my BT module.

Also, I instaled the A00 Ricoh drivers in safe-mode.

0 Kudos
Thereal-dbk4297
4 Ruthenium

Hello once again,

At this point, you might just want to try the Vista version of the NSS.

It would not be the first time that Dell made a mistake on the file downloads page. Maybe it should also have been included on the XP downloads Page. Your choice, not mine.

Mis Dos Centavos,
Darrell

Gadfly at large

My systems ...
Toshiba Tecra M1
Dimension 9150 - Pent D 3.2GHz, 4GB dual-channel 533 DDR2 Windows 7 Pro, Firefox 3.6.14

cc-vortex
1 Nickel

I did try that actually, the error it gacve me was that my MS instaler was out of date

0 Kudos
Thereal-dbk4297
4 Ruthenium

Hello,

See if this page is of any help.

Or, you may just be out of luck if it is looking for the 4.0 version that Vista uses.

Mis Dos Centavos,
Darrell

Gadfly at large

My systems ...
Toshiba Tecra M1