Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

CV

December 31st, 2008 15:00

Bluetooth not working

Greetings-

I own a 1720 that came with Vista but have installed XP Pro on it. Everything works on it except the Bluetooth module. BIOS sees it and it's enabled, but the HW manager does not see it. I tried installing the R161378.exe - 355 Bluetooth Module for Win XP but when the install gets to the point where it says I need to activate the device by hitting Fn-F2, hitting Fn-F2 does nothing, and the indicator light on the laptop itself does not come on.

Also, and I'm not sure if this is related, I can't seem to find a version of QuickSet that works on XP for the 1720; do I need QuickSet to get the BT module to work?

Thanks guys and gals.

3.4K Posts

January 1st, 2009 11:00

Hello,

No, if the correct install order was not followed then these problems crop up.

It will do no harm to install the first two files in safe mode, and it very well might correct your bluetooth problem. :emotion-55: But, do as you like, I can only suggest what has worked in the past here.

3.4K Posts

Hello,

Dell computers require a very specific install order for Windows or many problems like this can result.

:emotion-55: Follow the list below with special attention to the note about booting into safe mode since you have already started installing drivers. :emotion-55:

Note: Some devices may not function properly if the drivers are installed out of order.

Install your version of Windows.

Install the following software and drivers in the order listed below.

***** 1.***** Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling the operating system or updating all the computer’s drivers, it is imperative that this software be installed first.
This is located under the System and Configuration Utilities Category on the Drivers and Downloads page. The DSS or NSS may not be required for some systems that shipped with Windows Vista installed, or older systems that don't offer DSS or NSS files. But if your download page has a DSS or NSS file, "It is required".
2. Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and controllers. This is located under the Chipset Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
3. Video Adapter - Enhances video performance. This is located under the Video Adapter Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
4. Network Interface Card (NIC) - Enhances the network controller for Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
5. Audio Adapter - Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is located under the Audio Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
6. Modem - Allows dialup capability. This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
7. Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network controller. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
8. Touchpad, Pointer, Trackstick, Mice, and Keyboards - Enhances the pointing device features. This is located under the Mouse & Keyboards Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
9. Other Devices
* Bluetooth Module
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband Cards
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* PCMCIA/Smartcard controller
This is located under the Security Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

Dell drivers and downloads page http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/. Input your service tag number to get the required drivers for your system, 'as shipped'.

NOTE: If your system download page offers a DSS or NSS file in the 'System and Configuration Utilities' Category. And you have already tried to install some drivers, you will need to reboot in Safe Mode to install the DSS or NSS file, and the chipset. Then reboot the system and install the rest of the drivers in the correct order.

24 Posts

Thanks for the reply but I have had XP on this for a few months now, so the install order is a moot point now I would think.  Do you know of any other way to get XP to see the hardware?  I have tried all the usual ways like using the HW manager to find it, etc.

Also, any idea about why I can't find a version of QuickSet that works on XP?

24 Posts

January 1st, 2009 12:00

By  "It will do no harm to install the first two files in safe mode"  do you mean the NSS and the chipset installs?

3.4K Posts

January 1st, 2009 13:00

Hello once again,

Correct, the NSS and Chipset files.

If you have already installed both of those files when you first did the install of Windows, then the new files will just overwrite the same files. It will cause your system no troubles.

But, what I expect is that they were not installed. Then the proper files will be loaded and you will now have a good install with everything working just as Dell designed it to. :emotion-21: Installing in safe mode is required so that any drivers that were already installed will not get in the way of the NSS and chipset file installs. :emotion-55:

24 Posts

January 1st, 2009 13:00

Any idea where I can download the NSS for a 1720 using Wix XP Pro? I can't find it anywhere...

3.4K Posts

January 1st, 2009 14:00

Ugh, that's what I thought. So basically it can't be done then :emotion-6:

Humm?

Well the Chipset files are still required. Do what you will, it's not my system.

My bluetooth is working. :emotion-15:

3.4K Posts

Hello again,

There is not an NSS file listed for your system for XP.

There are two Chipset files listed, as well as SATA files and the regular drivers and files.

24 Posts

Ugh, that's what I thought. So basically it can't be done then :emotion-6:

1.7K Posts

January 2nd, 2009 08:00

From the sounds of things, the NSS is what is needed to fix this.  Unfortunately, if we don't sell the system with WinXP we may not have an XP version of the NSS for that computer.

The NSS is basically Dell's addition to the chipset specific to the hardware combination used in the sytem.  Every system I have seen that uses the NSS (or DSS for desktops) has hardware that the chipset or other drivers does not enable correctly (or at all) without that additional software installed.

1.7K Posts

January 2nd, 2009 09:00

I hadn't actually checked before.  I do show a list of drivers for the Inspiron 1720 running XP, but I don't see a NSS listed.  For Vista, the NSS is needed, however, which means I would have expected it to be needed for XP.

24 Posts

January 2nd, 2009 09:00

I'm almost positive that Dell sold a 1720 that had XP on it, so I figured it had to exist. Not sure why it wouldn't be available as a download though.

24 Posts

January 2nd, 2009 12:00

Exactly. Plus, if you compare the list of drivers available for Vista to the XP list there's other drivers missing as well. The Bluetooth one for starters...

24 Posts

January 2nd, 2009 17:00

I have absolutely confirmed that Dell did sell 1720's with Win XP, so if those drivers are missing it can only be because Dell is bending to the will of Microsoft and abandoning XP for awful, buggy, unstable Vista.  No good :emotion-6:

3.4K Posts

January 3rd, 2009 07:00

Exactly. Plus, if you compare the list of drivers available for Vista to the XP list there's other drivers missing as well. The Bluetooth one for starters...

Hello once again,

Have you at least installed the required "Chipset" files in safe mode?

Since you seen to understand a little about computers, you should be able to understand that the bluetooth function is controlled by the motherboard. That being said, the "Chipset" files work on the 'motherboard' to help things like the "Bluetooth" to work. :emotion-55:

No Events found!