Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2009 00:00

Brand New wireless card may be fried...

I just bought a Studio 1737 about a week ago. Hot out of the box, I could not connect to any wifi networks. My old Laptop, an Ispiron E1505 had the same problem when I first purchased it (3 years ago). With the 1505, I just reinstalled the drivers and restarted it a couple of times and it started to work. I tried the same on the Studio, but to no avail. I've been reading posts on here all week and following advice, but nothing has worked. I reinstalled Vista, made sure I installed the Wireless card drivers last, but still no luck. My wifi light has never popped on or anything similar. I've tried the online chat with Dell 3 times, but they couldn't make any progress. Their only advice was to call the Fee-based help line. I'm a musician/poor college student, so anything requiring fees is out of the question. I feel that since the wireless networking card NEVER worked, it shouldn't be on me to pay for anything. I'm frustrated to the max right now! The only thing I can think of that may be causing the problem is that this laptop came in with a defective wireless networking card. It's supposed to be an Intel 5300 Ultimate N. Please help! I need this resolved by the end of the week so I can take my new laptop around with me instead of continuing to use my old and decrepit 1505. Thanks in advance!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 22nd, 2009 04:00

jwh20,

Didn't connect out of the box, then take it back to place of purchase and have them make it right. Be persistant. I have a 1737 with a 5100n card in it. Is the wireless switch turned on? Left side of computer, red should not be showing. You should then see the WiFi lit up on the left side of the media panel.

Rick

6 Posts

October 22nd, 2009 09:00

The Wireless switch is on. I've tried fn+f2 and just f2, but still nothing. I bought the computer directly from Dell!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 22nd, 2009 10:00

jwh20,

Call them. Tell them if they cannot fix the problem, you want to return the computer. I think there is a 21 day return window.

Rick

6 Posts

October 22nd, 2009 13:00

Thanks. I'm going to call the number that isn't fee-based today. Thanks for the prompt responses

6 Posts

October 22nd, 2009 13:00

What is the number?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 22nd, 2009 16:00

jwh20,

Contact Us at Dell Try the tech support number or else online chat.

Rick

No Events found!