jlyon1515
1 Nickel

Broadcom WLAN card on Windows 7 64-bit giving me only dial-up modem speeds

I just recently did a CLEAN install of Windows 7 on my 2-year old XPS 420 system. Everything went smoothly, it even detects my router and I am connected to the internet. The only problem is that I am literally getting the speed of a dial-up modem. I even did a speed test and it guess that I was on a 56kbps modem. LOL.

Previously, I was running Vista 32-bit, and I was getting the expected speed. Even using my iPod touch, I connected to the internet and was getting normal speeds. I did a Windows Update and it did find an update to my wireless card driver, but that really messed things up, and network stopped working completely.

I re-did the clean install of Windows 7 and did all the WIndows updates except the Broadcom one, so I am at least at working condition, albeit slow.

Next up, I'm goign to try the link titled "Broadcom BCM5784M LAN or better known as Broadcom Netlink Gigibit Ethernet (64-bit drivers)" that was posted on the Dell support page here:
http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19267923.aspx

Any other thoughts? I am not even completely sure what the model number even is for my Broadcom card, all the Dell site here says is that it's part # TK314. I guess, I'll open up my computer tonight to get the exact model number.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Davet50
5 Iridium

Re: Broadcom WLAN card on Windows 7 64-bit giving me only dial-up modem speeds

Are you talking a wireless connection or a wires connection? The Broadcom Gigibit is an either net driver. I do not see one listed for your system HERE, only an Intel one. Now if it is a wireless card what you can do is use the 1395 driver as that would be a Broadcom driver. The 1505 card listed is an Intel card

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003

0 Kudos
Mary G
5 Iridium

You didn't say what kind of connection you have--cable modem, dsl modem and what kind of connection--wired or wireless. Go to the Network and Sharing Center and make sure the network connections are set correctly. Internet Options in your IE browser should have Never Dial a Connection selected. Your Broadcom card is not your wireless card. That's for the wired ethernet connection to your router and Windows 7 automatically installs the right driver. I have the same xps 420 with that card and windows 7 found the right driver. If you have a second net card that's wireless, you should mention the model.

0 Kudos
jlyon1515
1 Nickel

It most definitely is a Broadcom Wireless card. It has an plug-in spot for an ethernet cable but it also has the wireless antennae sticking up on it. It is also not a card that I bought later. It came with my system. I can even look it up on my reciept, both on this site, and on the paper receipt that was in my computer box. I am not nsure why there is no driver listed on the XPS 420 driver site. Maybe it is because I bought it right when the system came out and they have since stopped using that card in the configuration?

My house network is a router connected to a cable modem. I should have also mention that no network connection cable is plugged into the computer. No phone line, no ethernet cable. Just that wireless card.

I took the side of my computer and looked at the card, and it had a chip on it with the label Broadcom BCM4318.

After looking up the exact driver name "bcmwl664.sys" I happened upon this interesting page:
http://www.realredraider.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=15988

I'm going to try the driver there and see if it helps. I'm just waiting for the 7 meg download to finish.

Thanks for the amazingly speedy response!

0 Kudos
Mary G
5 Iridium

While you are trying to correct any problem, use an ethernet cable to connect to your router temporarily. See if the speed improves.

I've looked up your model card and it does say this: Broadcom's high performance WLAN product line includes 54g, the world's most popular 54 Mbps Wi-Fi technology.

Maybe you were looking at the 54 Mbps. Here's the page that came from. I hope the new driver solves the problem.

0 Kudos
jlyon1515
1 Nickel

Good call on using an ethernet cable, I just don't have one that is long enough. Maybe I'll bring one home from work tomorrow.

I downloaded the drivers from the link I previously mentioned, and they were compatible, but they didn't change the slow speeds.

I also tried the 1395 driver on the XPS 420 drivers page that Davet50 suggested, that didn't work. It said I didn't have any compatible devices.

Mary, were you thinking I was confusing 54 Mbps and 56 kbps? When I was just downloading the 1395 driver that Davet50 suggested, it took over a minute per megabyte... that's what I mean by old-school dial-up modem speeds. I definitely didn't have that with Vista.

Not sure what I'm gonna try next. I think I might just have to get a next wireless card, which is a pity because I know it worked in Vista.

0 Kudos
jlyon1515
1 Nickel

Well, I did the windows update for the Broadcom driver (which last time gave me a blue screen... nothing like installing a new operating system and getting that screen only minutes after playing around!), and stuff started responding a bit better. Now looking at the properties for the wireless connection, they bounce between 2 Mbps and 54 Mbps... so sometimes I'm where I should be! 🙂

0 Kudos
jlyon1515
1 Nickel

This just plain sucks. I really just don't know what else to do. It worked in Vista 32-bit fine.

Among other sites, I've been using this one for some speed tests:
http://performance.toast.net/

Here's a screen shot of how it consistently comes up from my Windows 7 computer:
http://www.csh.rit.edu/~jlyon/temp/speedtest.gif

On my iPod touch, I get 10 times that speed, and both connect through the same router.

0 Kudos
Davet50
5 Iridium

I get lousy results on that site and I have a very fast connection try THIS ONE

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003

0 Kudos