Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 16th, 2014 07:00

Can Not Enable WI-FI on a Dell Latitude E5520

I am working on a Dell Latitude E5520.  The laptop is running Windows 7 Professional.  It has a Dell installed DW1530 Wi-FI card.  The WI-FI card is disabled.  Every time I try to enable the card, it goes through all of the motions of enabling the card but when it is finished the card is still disabled and grayed out.  With this laptop, reformatting and starting over is not an option. I have seen this issue mentioned before in this forum, but none of the suggested fixes work.

What I have tried so far.  All troubleshooting was done with full administrator rights,with both Domain administrator and the local administrator accounts. The first thing I tried was to uninstall the anti-virus and firewall software.  I left this software off of the laptop during all troubleshooting.  I have tried uninstalling the drivers for the card.  I downloaded the latest drivers and re-installed the drivers.  Unsuccessful. I repeated this in safe mode logged in as the local administrator.  Unsuccessful.

I have a similar laptop on hand with a similar wireless card that works.  I installed this card and repeated the steps above.  Unsuccessful.  I re-installed the original WI-FI card.

I have a USB WI-FI card that I know works with Windows 7.  I tried this USB WI-FI card.  Unsuccessful.

Since 3 different WI-FI cards will not work, this tells me that this is a Microsoft issue as all 3 WI-FI cards act the exact same way.  As usual, the Microsoft support site is of little help.

One possible clue.  The connection is named "Wireless Network Connection 3".  When I tried to rename the connection to "Wireless Network Connection" it was rejected saying that this name is already in use.  There is no "Wireless Network Connection" listed, only "Wireless Network Connection 3".  I intend to search the registry for this hidden connection.

Any suggestions?

6 Posts

January 17th, 2014 09:00

I figured out how to fix it, finally.  I used the original Windows 7 installation DVD and did an In-Place Upgrade.  Microsoft Article ID: 2255099.  This worked. I was able to salvage the OS along with all of the programs and personal files.   I wish that I would have thought of this earlier.

Thanks you very much for taking the time to help.

Jack

6 Posts

January 16th, 2014 12:00

I have already downloaded this exact same driver package.  I have installed and uninstalled this exact same driver package several times.  Also, since the problem exists with 3 different wireless cards that I know work in other Windows 7 computers, I am not convinced that this is a driver issue.

However, I have an additional clue.  I have run the network diagnostics tool and found this error message

Windows couldn't automatically bind the IP protocol stack to the network adapter.

Since my last post I have tried this.

First, I made sure that the WLAN Autoconfig service is running.

I next opened a command prompt, running as administrator

I entered the following commands

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset reset.log

netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

I rebooted the laptop.  It still does not allow me to enable the wireless card.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 16th, 2014 12:00

MadJack99,

Download Dell Wireless WLAN 1530 Half Mini Card Driver and save them to the desktop or flash drive.

Make a system restore point.

Start, control panel, device manager, right click on Dell Wireless 1530 left click, uninstall. Tell it to remove the software and drivers.

Restart your computer. When you login, the new hardware wizard will try to install the adapter, but fail. Install the drivers for the adapter.

What happens?

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 16th, 2014 13:00

MadJack99,

Windows 7 64-bit, I forgot to ask.

Download and install Dell System Software Utility

Then Intel Chipset Driver

Try the drivers again and make sure you installed Dell System Manager Application

If that doesn't work, what happens if you let Windows manage your connection?

How to start Wireless Zero Configuration using Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

MadJack99,

See if the drivers install in the Vista SP2 Compatibility mode

Is the an E5520 or an E5520M?

Rick

6 Posts

It is an E5520

Uninstalled the driver.  Rebooted.  Reinstalled the driver in Vista SP2 compatibility mode.  rebooted.  Same result.  Can not enable the wireless adapter.  Same message, can not bind IP with adapter error when I run the diagnostics.

1 Message

February 12th, 2015 17:00

I am having the exact same issue with anE6520. I am also getting the failed to bind IP protocol stack error.  I do not have the original windows 7 disk. Is there any other solution?

Chris

No Events found!