Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 19th, 2014 16:00

Can't Hold Internet Connection

Hello:

I am using Windows 7 on my PC.  I have Internet Explorer 11 and Chrome Version 39.  Since Sunday, my internet connection has been fine when I first get on the computer.  After a while, if I open another tab, it will lose the connection.  When this happens, I can't get anything . . . email, internet.  I called Verizon twice and the wired router is fine.  This is just on my PC.  My laptop, tablet, and androids, and another PC are fine.  I did everything Verizon asked me to do to the router, but it's fine.

I used System Restore and restored the computer to a point where everything worked fine.  The restore didn't work and I had to find out how to restore in Safe Mode.  The restore worked, but not for keeping me connected to the internet.  I'm still having the problem even though on the restore date, I didn't have the problem.  I have to keep restarting my computer to work for a bit and then it will drop the connection.  I don't know what is wrong, or how to fix it.

Is there anyone who can help me?  Thank you very much!  If you need more information, just ask.  I may have left something out, but I think this is everything!

18 Posts

November 19th, 2014 17:00

How are you connected (wireless or wired), if wireless try connecting over Ethernet to see if that keeps the connection. Let me know problems with windows 8.1

28 Posts

November 19th, 2014 19:00

How are you connected (wireless or wired), if wireless try connecting over Ethernet to see if that keeps the connection. Let me know problems with windows 8.1

I am connected to a Verizon FIOS wired router.  Two computers are connected and the other devices use the WI-FI in the house.  As I first stated, it is specific to one PC, the main PC that the router is connected to.   Thanks for responding.

18 Posts

November 20th, 2014 01:00

sronal

I am connected to a Verizon FIOS wired router.  Two computers are connected and the other devices use the WI-FI in the house.  As I first stated, it is specific to one PC, the main PC that the router is connected to.   Thanks for responding. problems with windows 8.1

Can you go to command prompt: problems with windows 8.1

1. Hold Windows Key and Press

2. Type cmd and Click OK

3. In the command prompt, type the following commands and then test:

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset

if it still doesn't work, then try clean booting your computer:

To do that, hold windows key and press R

type msconfig and click ok

from the services tab, place check on hide all microsoft services then click  start-up tab, and select disable all 

then reboot the computer to test.

28 Posts

November 20th, 2014 14:00

kneadtoknow

sronal

I am connected to a Verizon FIOS wired router.  Two computers are connected and the other devices use the WI-FI in the house.  As I first stated, it is specific to one PC, the main PC that the router is connected to.   Thanks for responding. problems with windows 8.1

2. Type cmd and Click OK

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset

from the services tab, place check on hide all microsoft services then click  start-up tab, and select disable all 

Thank you.  I tried this and for a little while, I thought it worked.  However, when I looked at my Facebook and some of the pictures didn't load, I tried to refresh the page (this was in Chrome) and some weird configuration of Facebook came up.  Then I closed Chrome and tried to re-open it and it came back "not connected to the internet."  I tried Internet Explorer and the same thing.  I tried my email and it came back with errors.  So I just restarted my PC and got connected again.  But it always connect when I restart. 

I don't know what is going on!  I'm not tech savvy, so I'm just seeking help!

18 Posts

November 20th, 2014 14:00

sronal
kneadtoknow

sronal

problems with windows 8.1

2. Type cmd and Click OK

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset

Thank you.  I tried this and for a little while, I thought it worked.  However, when I looked at my Facebook and some of the pictures didn't load, I tried to refresh the page (this was in Chrome) and some weird configuration of Facebook came up.  Then I closed Chrome and tried to re-open it and it came back "not connected to the internet."  I tried Internet Explorer and the same thing.  I tried my email and it came back with errors.  So I just restarted my PC and got connected again.  But it always connect when I restart. 

It seems like as if the internet gets blocked by something after a short while, can you try disabling your antivirus software?

28 Posts

November 22nd, 2014 16:00

kneadtoknow

sronal
kneadtoknow

sronal

2. Type cmd and Click OK

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset

It seems like as if the internet gets blocked by something after a short while, can you try disabling your antivirus software?

I've used Avast for a few years and it never interfered (to my knowledge) with my internet connection.  I went into Avast and looked at the settings.  It has a browser cleanup for Internet Explorer and Chrome.  I still have the problem.  When I tried to connect to Chrome and there was a link to see details of why I couldn't connect, this is what I saw:  DNS_Probe_Finished_No Internet.  I don't know what this means.

Thanks.

18 Posts

November 22nd, 2014 17:00

kneadtoknow

sronal
kneadtoknow

sronal
kneadtoknow

sronal

2. Type cmd and Click OK

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset

I've used Avast for a few years and it never interfered (to my knowledge) with my internet connection.  I went into Avast and looked at the settings.  It has a browser cleanup for Internet Explorer and Chrome.  I still have the problem.  When I tried to connect to Chrome and there was a link to see details of why I couldn't connect, this is what I saw:  DNS_Probe_Finished_No Internet.  I don't know what this means.

Thanks.

Please disable avast temporarily, and try the following commands in command prmpt:

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

netsh int ip set dns

ipconfig /flushdns 
ipconfig /renew

netsh winsock reset 

netsh int ip set dns

18 Posts

November 22nd, 2014 17:00

sronal
kneadtoknow

sronal
kneadtoknow

sronal

2. Type cmd and Click OK

netsh winsock reset

netsh int ip reset

Thanks.

Please disable avast temporarily, and try the following commands in command prmpt:

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew

netsh int ip set dns

28 Posts

November 23rd, 2014 08:00

I tried your latest suggestion.  Avast is still disabled right now.  Internet Explorer loaded, but Chrome still said can't connect to the internet and the details were the same as I previously reported.  I haven't restarted my computer yet, but I will because I don't want my anti-virus to be off while I'm online.

I'm completely at a lost and very frustrated!  Thank you.

18 Posts

November 23rd, 2014 12:00

Just to confirm, internet works on Internet Explorer, but not Chrome?

28 Posts

November 24th, 2014 06:00

Just to confirm, internet works on Internet Explorer, but not Chrome?

After I performed your last instructions and BEFORE I restarted my computer, I clicked on IE and it opened up to my homepage.  I clicked on Chrome and got the same message, not able to connect to the internet.  The details were the same too.  But after I restarted my computer, both IE and Chrome worked! 

Thanks.  They both always work after I restart!

18 Posts

November 24th, 2014 14:00

Please mark as answer so others having same issue can pick up quickly.

November 26th, 2014 07:00

Good advice so far... Trying to send this before my internet goes away yet again.

Have Inspiron N7110.  All has bee working fine for a couple years.

Modem  is ok as I can use my Droid to access the internet even when my laptop won't & the ISP has verified that all is good on their end.

Have done all you mention but the connection still fails after a time... Beginning to think the LAN in my laptop is the problem as I've still come up short with .

Anything you may offer to help me understand this & fix is is MUCH appreciated.

Thanks,

MikeH

November 26th, 2014 08:00

MikeH again...

If you can leave me a phone # via email & when I can contact someone maybe remote access would help?  I'd be happy to have someone walk through that with me to find what's going on.

Here's the message I get when internet drips:

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at en.community.dell.com.

Check the address for typing errors such as ww.example.com instead of www.example.com
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

28 Posts

November 27th, 2014 08:00

Please mark as answer so others having same issue can pick up quickly.

I will be happy to mark as answered when the issue is fixed.  At this point, the connection is still temporary.  After I'm connected for a period, it disconnects again.  The only way, so far, is to continue to restart.  However, this is quite annoying and not resolved.  If I'm working on something on the web, it all goes away and lost.  Do you have any other suggestions that will work to resolve the issue?  I'm at a complete loss as to what could be the problem!

Thanks.

No Events found!