Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 6th, 2013 16:00

Can't connect to Internet

RE: Dell Dim 2400

Unit will not connect to internet. Get the message that a cord is not connected. Using Ethernet cable to connect. Used 3 different cables to be sure cable is OK. All connections solid. Used set-up wizard-says contact manufacturer. Screen says "working off line". What am I doing wrong?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 6th, 2013 17:00

Hi dacoop,

This is most likely a network configuration error. So please take a look at this article first.

I'm going to move this thread to the networking forum for more help.

23 Posts

April 6th, 2013 17:00

I have a dimension 5150 encountering same problem failure to connect to internet through wireless router. This router works with two other computers. Worked with 5150 before clean reinstall of os.

Have consulted 4 different forums, to no avail.

Running win XP Home Edition, 3.2GHz, 1GB RAM, 160 GB HD.

Have clean reinstalled os, loaded drivers in correct order, installed NIC drivers from 3 different sources (Intel, dell, MS). Still get 'software not installed for Intel pro/100 ve network connection' in device manager. Last forum has given up and suggested here. :emotion-6:

Also get message 'network connection is missing', but have seen this before with functional internet connection.

Inquiry to network adapter indicates device is working properly. Device manager says software is missing; also indicates Multimedia Video Controller is not installed (?). LAN is listed under network connections, but no wireless. :emotion-42:

I am a mid-level computer person. It seems obvious that the network drivers will not install on this system, but nobody can tell me why.

I think after all this that I must junk this hd and install a refurbished one; cannot afford new one. I was attempting refurbishment of this desktop at minimum cost. Apparently this is not possible.:emotion-9:

If you have any additional information, I would appreciate any solutions.:emotion-1:

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

April 7th, 2013 12:00

dacoop,

Places to look to see if your Connection is enabled

Can you run Finding System Information REMOVE YOUR PRODUCT ID and REGISTERED OWNER, if using XP, run an ipconfig /all log and post it back here.

Rick

23 Posts

April 12th, 2013 12:00

To all those who have gratiously assisted with my Inel integrated network interface controller problem:

I have bitten the bullet and installed a NIC card from Trendnet. I am not promoting this product. Only that it solved my problem at a reasonable price. Someone previously suggested this step. I have finally taken it.

I was confused by "device was working properly', although "software has not been installed". I have finally realized the difference. This Dell Dimension 5150 was designated as my "learning" computer; I have certainly learned much from this experience, mostly due to your input. I hope to continue my lesrning process.

Internet conection works well now.

Even the floppy drive is functional, as well as the 10GB HD  from my first ever computer.

Grats again to all who asisted.

No Events found!