Highlighted
LongCat
1 Copper

Can't connect to the internet

I just reformatted my hard drive, but now my computer can't connect to the internet. I have a broadband modem (not wireless) which doesn't require a password and is showing all green lights, so it looks like my PC isn't recognizing the connection for some reason. Please help.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DELL-Larry R
4 Germanium

Re: Can't connect to the internet

When you reformatted, did you reload all the required drivers for the system?  If you aren't sure, post your computer model and I'll give you the complete list.

0 Kudos
jonheifetz
1 Copper

Thanks here is my computer model Lattitude D610

0 Kudos
LongCat
1 Copper

I reloaded the modem drivers from the CD I got with the computer, but it said it was for 56k, and I have broadband. My computer is an XPS. I have two CDs; one Windows disc, and one 56k moden driver disc. Am I missing something? I called the internet company, and they said that there should be a LAN connection under the Network Connections category, but I only have two "1394 Connection's."

0 Kudos
DELL-Larry R
4 Germanium

The full list of drivers for the D610, for XP, are:

• Dell Notebook System Software
  • Intel® Mobile Chipset driver
  • PCMCIA controller driver
  • SMC IrCC Fast Infrared Port (native to XP)
  • Intel® or ATI™ video driver
  • SigmaTel® STAC 9750 Audio driver
  • Broadcom® 570x Gigabit integrated controller
  • Wireless Mini PCI® driver (if applicable)
  • MDC driver (modem)
  • Bluetooth® driver (if applicable)
  • Alps® touch pad drivers
  • QuickSet Utility
0 Kudos
DELL-Larry R
4 Germanium

I reloaded the modem drivers from the CD I got with the computer, but it said it was for 56k, and I have broadband. My computer is an XPS. I have two CDs; one Windows disc, and one 56k moden driver disc. Am I missing something? I called the internet company, and they said that there should be a LAN connection under the Network Connections category, but I only have two "1394 Connection's."

You need to install the network adapter drivers to use a broadband connection.  The modem driver is for a dial-up modem.

0 Kudos
LongCat
1 Copper

Thank you. It's fixed now. I just had to download the drivers from the Dell website and transfer them to my other computer.

0 Kudos
marcbar
1 Copper

I'm having a similar problem. I just re-installed Windows XP Home on my Latitude D610. Now I cannot connect to the internet either with a Ethernet Cable to my Wireless Router, or through a WiFi connection. I used my Dell original disc for Reinstalling Dell Latitude System Software which also includes Device Drivers, etc.  I have an Apple Airport Extreme Router, and a Mac and a Vista machine connect to it also.  The D610 used to find the wireless connection without problem.  Now it does not find any wireless service, except for Bluetooth (which I don't use with the laptop) and it won't connect to the net directly either.  The New Network Connection Wizard only seems to offer connections to a modem.  I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

0 Kudos
LongCat
1 Copper

It's most likely a driver problem like what I had. I thought I had installed all the required drivers, but I actually hadn't.

0 Kudos
marcbar
1 Copper

You may be right, but I used my original Dell install disks which should have all the correct drivers I assume. It used to work fine until I re-installed the software.

I can't get on the internet on the Dell even with a ethernet connection, so I can't check the system with Dell.com to download new drivers.

0 Kudos