Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2009 17:00

Can't connect to the internet

I just reformatted my hard drive, but now my computer can't connect to the internet. I have a broadband modem (not wireless) which doesn't require a password and is showing all green lights, so it looks like my PC isn't recognizing the connection for some reason. Please help.

1.7K Posts

January 28th, 2009 06:00

When you reformatted, did you reload all the required drivers for the system?  If you aren't sure, post your computer model and I'll give you the complete list.

1 Message

January 28th, 2009 21:00

Thanks here is my computer model Lattitude D610

7 Posts

January 28th, 2009 22:00

I reloaded the modem drivers from the CD I got with the computer, but it said it was for 56k, and I have broadband. My computer is an XPS. I have two CDs; one Windows disc, and one 56k moden driver disc. Am I missing something? I called the internet company, and they said that there should be a LAN connection under the Network Connections category, but I only have two "1394 Connection's."

1.7K Posts

January 30th, 2009 09:00

The full list of drivers for the D610, for XP, are:

• Dell Notebook System Software
  • Intel® Mobile Chipset driver
  • PCMCIA controller driver
  • SMC IrCC Fast Infrared Port (native to XP)
  • Intel® or ATI™ video driver
  • SigmaTel® STAC 9750 Audio driver
  • Broadcom® 570x Gigabit integrated controller
  • Wireless Mini PCI® driver (if applicable)
  • MDC driver (modem)
  • Bluetooth® driver (if applicable)
  • Alps® touch pad drivers
  • QuickSet Utility

1.7K Posts

January 30th, 2009 09:00

I reloaded the modem drivers from the CD I got with the computer, but it said it was for 56k, and I have broadband. My computer is an XPS. I have two CDs; one Windows disc, and one 56k moden driver disc. Am I missing something? I called the internet company, and they said that there should be a LAN connection under the Network Connections category, but I only have two "1394 Connection's."

You need to install the network adapter drivers to use a broadband connection.  The modem driver is for a dial-up modem.

7 Posts

February 2nd, 2009 19:00

Thank you. It's fixed now. I just had to download the drivers from the Dell website and transfer them to my other computer.

3 Posts

March 8th, 2010 15:00

I'm having a similar problem. I just re-installed Windows XP Home on my Latitude D610. Now I cannot connect to the internet either with a Ethernet Cable to my Wireless Router, or through a WiFi connection. I used my Dell original disc for Reinstalling Dell Latitude System Software which also includes Device Drivers, etc.  I have an Apple Airport Extreme Router, and a Mac and a Vista machine connect to it also.  The D610 used to find the wireless connection without problem.  Now it does not find any wireless service, except for Bluetooth (which I don't use with the laptop) and it won't connect to the net directly either.  The New Network Connection Wizard only seems to offer connections to a modem.  I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

7 Posts

March 8th, 2010 16:00

It's most likely a driver problem like what I had. I thought I had installed all the required drivers, but I actually hadn't.

3 Posts

March 8th, 2010 16:00

You may be right, but I used my original Dell install disks which should have all the correct drivers I assume. It used to work fine until I re-installed the software.

I can't get on the internet on the Dell even with a ethernet connection, so I can't check the system with Dell.com to download new drivers.

No Events found!