Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 19th, 2012 13:00

Can't connect to wireless after reinstalling drivers

I have a Dell Studio Laptop 1558. I recently reinstalled Widows 7 and then the drivers. I'm pretty sure I installed them in the wrong order. So how do I go about fixing that? Like I said I can't connect to any wireless networks. The networks don't even show up(I live in an apartment complex so usually I have a whole bunch of networks listed). I can only use the Ethernet cord to get online. I know the wireless works because my roomate can connect to the wireless internet.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 19th, 2012 15:00

eheynach,

When you reinstalled the operating system, did you install the Desktop/Notebook system software and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Start with the Desktop/Notebook system software and the chipset drivers and follow the list.

Rick

7 Posts

August 19th, 2012 17:00

I went back and reinstalled windows again and did the drivers in that order....still doesn't work

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 19th, 2012 18:00

eheynach,

Do you have McAfee installed?

Rick

7 Posts

August 20th, 2012 05:00

No I don't.

I think I have a new problem though because when I went to reinstall Windows it kept files from before. I thought when you reinstalled it wiped everything clean(what I wanted to do).But it just installs on top of the other file(so the harddrive is like almost full).Starting to be such a hassel. Makes me think that even though I went back and reinstalled the drivers in order the 2nd time there were still files from the 1st.

7 Posts

August 24th, 2012 13:00

Ok I went back and reinstalled the drivers in the correct order. But wireless still doesn't even come up on my internet networks. All I can do is use the ethernet.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 25th, 2012 13:00

eheynach,

Try reading...

Software Updates Causes Wireless Connectivity Issue Or Unable to Connect to Internet

Can you run Finding System Information REMOVE YOUR PRODUCT ID, if using XP, run an ipconfig /all log and post it back here.

Rick

7 Posts

August 25th, 2012 20:00

My problem is same as yours!!!

I just bought my laptop for one month! There is a icon which says:physical wireless interface unavailable. And it cannot detect WiFi....

No Events found!