Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 13th, 2010 14:00

Can't enter letters into wifi password

I m trying to connect to a linksys wireless router using wep 128 bit encryption.  I select the network from the search list  but when it prompts for the password, it will not accept any letters - only numbers.  Funny thing is if I set up a profile for that network, I can enter the key and it works fine.  Just can't connect directly.  Any ideas?

I tried some of the other secured networks that were in range and 2 would let me type letters and/or numbers into the password field, one other would not.

Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG is the card in my Inspiron 8600 (just updated the driver to 11.1.0.0)

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 13th, 2010 15:00

ajcstr,

WEP can be a problem and it can also be hacked in 10 minutes or less, with the right tools. Try using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings in your wireless router, I use channel 11.

Do you have the latest drivers? Intel® Driver Update Utility for Intel® wireless adapters

Can you connect in the safe mode with networking?

How can I disable wireless configuration services and enable the Windows XP Wireless Zero Configuration services

How to start Wireless Zero Configuration using Windows Vista

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 14th, 2010 09:00

ajcstr,

Using the WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security (Personal) should be good enough. If you want to add Mac address filtering, you can but most people forget they're using it and then when a new wireless device needs added, they forget to add the Mac address and/or they forget how to log into the wireless router.

Rick

112 Posts

September 14th, 2010 09:00

Thanks,

I'll give those a try - why is it suggested to NOT use MAC address filtering in the Recommended Wireless router settings?

112 Posts

September 15th, 2010 13:00

It appears to be a problem related to that particular linksys router because the problem did not repeat when connecting to another router.   

1 Message

August 3rd, 2011 08:00

The password it's looking for is actually located on the Linksys Wireless Router. It is 8 numbers long. Hope this helps.

1 Message

October 30th, 2011 14:00

I have a Belkin router and have the same problem.  Accepts numbers but no letters.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

October 30th, 2011 15:00

greyfox1usa,

Some Belkin routers don't like WPA Security. They had a problem telling the difference between WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security(Personal) and WPA-AES. Try a different type of security.

Rick

1 Message

June 22nd, 2012 14:00

Thanks a lot, you actually gave the best answer for the problem, you were right and it worked perfect. I really appreciate it.

October 13th, 2012 11:00

The password it's looking for is actually located on the Linksys Wireless Router. It is 8 numbers long. Hope this helps.

My Cisco Router has a serial number that includes letters as well as numbers, so it will not work either.

No Events found!