CindiF
1 Nickel

RE: Can't enter password on Dell Latitude D630

Jump to solution

Hi,

The computer isn't under any kind of warranty since my daughter bought it used for my grand daughter.
I can take a look at the Dell Service manual to see if this is something I can do or want to take on.

We have a Cisco Linksys for connecting wireless in the past. Is this what your referring to as far as a wireless adapter?
Thanks

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Cindi,

The system restore point that was created, may bring the adapter back, but I don't see it in the log.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
Highlighted
CindiF
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

That's odd the system restore isn't showing up. Is there a particular place to look for it on the laptop?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Cindi,

Start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore. Show more restore points.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
CindiF
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Ok, didn't find restore point I created so went to restore point for yesterday, created a new restore point once that was completed, uninstalled drivers and restarted computer then reinstalled drivers.
Here is ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : stewart-b552a9d

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-23-0A-97-C2

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.15

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, November 03, 2013 7:54:22 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, November 04, 2013 7:54:22 PM

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1B-77-21-3B-8C

In connecting to the Intel Proset Wireless, it looks like I need to set up a profile. I did that before and maybe that is an issue as far as how I did it.
I'm asked for a Profile name, SSID network name, and operating mode, Network Infastructure (connect to wifi  networks and/or internet.)

Then there are security settings>Personal security or Enterprise Security
Now I'm not sure  which of security settings to choose:
WEP 64 bit
WEP 128 bit
WPA Personal (TKIP)
WPA Personal (AES-CCMP)
WPA2 Personal (TKIP)
WPA2 Personal (AES-CCMP)

Maybe whole new issue that when typing my cursor jumps in middle of text I just typed. Not sure what that's about.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JustinHolt
1 Copper

Jump to solution
I read on the net about this and the terrible problems it seems to cause people. The answer is to let the software let windows take care of the wireless networking as opposed to the intel proset software. 1. Click on the intel proset icon in the bottom right of the pc screen. A mini menu appears - select "configure wifi". 2. The software will come up on the screen. Press F10 or select the advanced menu option "Use windows to manage wifi" then press YES. 3. You will see a windows pc/wifi/network icon appear near the proset icon on the bottom right. Click on it. 4. You will now see your available wifi networks under the normal windows wifi networks screen. Click on your wifi network and you will be able to use the key. The problem here is that the driver for the wifi card in the laptop is bundled with wifi control software that...is poor. By electing to let windows handle the wifi side of things the only bit that is used from the proset software is the driver itself which windows then talks to directly. Simples!. Vandor
0 Kudos
uwesti1
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Justin

I found the Intel Icon in the Program Menu and made the same "windows wifi" selection as you recommended and then Step 2 etc.

Thanks for the solution! !   

Cheers

uwesti 

0 Kudos