Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 15th, 2009 04:00

Cannot Add network using Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility

I've just had to install a new hard drive in my Latitude E6400 and have reinstalled Windows XP and all the drivers / software from the dell downloads website.

When I run the "Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility" application on the "Wireless Networks" tab the checkbox to "Let this tool manage your wireless networks" is selected but greyed out.  Also, all of the options in the "Preferred network connections" (i.e. Add, Edit, Remove, Up, Down & Options) are greyed out as well so I can't add details of my wireless network.  How do I go about enabling these options?  Is it a driver issue?

I can connect to Wi-Fi if I configure the network via the Dell Control Point -> Connection Manager software but I'd prefer to use the Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility.

I have a Dell Wireless 1510 Wireless-N WLAN Mini-Card.

6 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 14:00

And hopefully this will be my last reply to my own replies :emotion-5:

I think I have accidentally discovered how to give control of the wireless network back to the WLAN card utility software.  What I did was this:

Opened the "Dell Control Point" software.

Selected "Connection Manager".

Clicked on the "Connections" button.

Selected "Profiles".

Selected "Change Settings".

Selected "Program Settings".

This displayed a dialog with a group named "Available technologies" that contains 5 check boxes (Ethernet, Wi-Fi, Mobile Broadband, Dial Up and GPS).  I then deselected the Wi-Fi check box.

This then disconnected me from the internet (as expected) but then when I opened the WLAN card utility software the option to "Let this tool manage your wireless networks" was enabled and I could successfully add (and manage) my wireless network using the WLAN utility.  Hurrah!

Phytorian, try these steps and hopefully you'll have the same success as I've just had! I've now got a bottle of wine with my name written on it... :emotion-2:

6 Posts

January 16th, 2009 02:00

I believe I have installed all of those drivers from the drivers and downloads page yes, although I can't guarantee that I did them in that exact order.  Do I need to install them all again in that order?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 16th, 2009 02:00

neilburn,

Since the operating system was re-installed did you remember to go to drivers and downloads, enter your service tag(DO NOT POST SERVICE TAG here or your post will get deleted, since it contains your personal information), and install these drivers in this order.

Desktop System Software or Notebook System Software
Chipset or SMBus driver
Processor Driver (if applicable)
Video
Audio (sound)
Input Drivers (keyboard/mouse)
Modem
Network Card

Rick

3 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 10:00

I have the exact the same problem.. the only difference is that I did not replaced the HDD... Windows XP SP3 came preinstalled with all the applications and utilities from dell. Any ideas?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 23rd, 2009 13:00

Phytorian,

Try using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings

Also try this.

How to repair a connection

Rick

6 Posts

Sorry, forgot to mention that before I had to install the new hard disk in this laptop, I was successfully using the WLAN Card utility software to connect to this network so I know there isn't an issue with my wireless router settings.  It's only since reinstalling that it became a problem so I can only assume I've either forgotten to install something or there is some hidden secret order to installing things that I don't know about.  Is there anyone from Dell that monitors these forums?

6 Posts

Hi Rick, thanks for the suggestions but it's not a problem with the connection itself (I'm currently connected wirelessly using the problem laptop).  I can successfully connect through the Dell Control Point - Connection Manager software which is fine but it really annoys me that I have to use this method of connecting instead of the simple Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility software.  The WLAN card utility shows I am successfully connected to my wireless network but I can't use it to add preferred networks because all the options are greyed out.

6 Posts

Sorry for replying to my own post but since I've been replying I've had the WLAN card utilty software open and the "Add" option for a Preferred network connection is disabled except that it appears to be pulsing. i.e. every 10 seconds the "Add" button is enabled for a fraction of a second then disables itself again.  I haven't managed to get it to respond in the fraction of a second that it's enabled for.

February 4th, 2009 08:00

I have the exact same problem. Dell's Control Point Software somehow prevents you from using the WLAN wireless utility. I liked using that utility so I uninstalled the Control Point software as it seemed unecessary to have have a utility on top of another utility. This was after I had used Control Point to connect to the wireless AP.

After uninstalling the Control Point Software, I still cannot use the Dell WLAN wireless utility to connect, and I get the same fraction of a second period where the "Add" button is enabled.

I'm quite disappointed, and ended up having to uninstall Dell's WLAN utility as well, and just use Microsofts ZEN utility. That is working for me now at least.

I honestly don't understand why Dell installed the Control Point software when their WLAN utlity is fine. I don't like having unecessary software on my work machines. I looked in the registry and their is UCM and Control Point stuff everyone, I didn't want to ruin my system by removing all those registry keys. I'm actually quite shocked those keys are still there even after uninstalling the software suite.

Hopefully they figure out how to undo their Control Point Software so I can use the WLAN utility again.

1 Message

February 14th, 2009 12:00

Thanks neilburn

That worked for me too,  good sleuthing to figure it out.  You'd think Dell would get their act together and preinstall utilities that work together.

1 Message

March 24th, 2009 09:00

Holy smokes, neilburn, thank you so much for this. It was completely driving me crazy. I'm configuring a new E5500 for our CFO and using the Dell Wireless Utility is so much easier for her to use when she's on the road.

2 Posts

January 22nd, 2010 05:00

neilburn,

Thank you for the post.  I had the same problem while setting up a new Dell Latitude E6500, WLAN card 1510.  Same problem with WLAN utility ... "Let this tool manage your wireless networks" was selected but greyed out.  Followed your advice and was able to re-select "Let this tool ..." in the WLAN utility.  Notebook then immediately found wireless network and connected.  Works like a champ!  Thanks again.

Mike G.

No Events found!