Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 31st, 2011 10:00

Cannot connect to internet, but WiFi Network connection seems OK

Hi All,

I have a 7 month old Dell XPS 17 which has a Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6230 (2x2 b/g/n+ Bluetooth Combo Card). I have been using the wireless internet connection via my BT broadband package for months, everything OK, then suddenly the laptop can no longer connect to the internet.

All the diagnostic tools say everything is OK but the broadband modem is having problems. The other laptops on the home WiFi network can all access the internet fine, so the BT broadband IS working, so it must be the DELL Laptop, right?

The laptop keeps telling me to reset the modem, which I have done, but to no avail...it is still working with theother laptops, so this can't be the problem.

Am guessing that this is a hardware fault in my Dell laptop?

any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 19th, 2012 12:00

Hitchguy7,

Do you have McAfee installed? The recent update has caused connection problems. Use a system restore point and go back a day or two.

Rixk

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 19th, 2012 14:00

As I see this, if there is not a system restore point, then you may havd to uninstall McAfee in ordr to get back online.

I am also not sure if you'll need to use the McAfee Removal Tool to remove McAfee or not.

Rick

2 Posts

I'm having the same problem today.  Laptop was fine on Saturday, but no connection when it was turned on Sunday morning (today).  All other computers - such as the one I'm typing this on - are working fine.  The laptop (Inspiron 1564) says it is connected to the network, but that there is no internet connection.  Windows 7, McAfee security.  I ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and got nothing, but the file did say that it was 174 days out of date.  And it could not update because there is no internet connection for that computer.  Any thoughts?

Hi there.  Having exactly the same problem as you Hitchguy7.   Could connect to the internet on Saturday no problem, now can't - wired or wirelessly.  Connects to router but local access only.

Have McAfee but don't think I've got a restore point either... Any other way to fix this?

Thanks all

August 19th, 2012 15:00

I'm having the same problems with Internet access despite being connected to wifi. I also have Mcaffee, how do you do the system restore point? My problem started on Saturday morning though, is that significant?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Dovahkiin93,

Start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore. The follow the instructions.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Dovahkiin93,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

Restoring system to a point at 4 days ago worked, thank you do much!

3 Posts

August 19th, 2012 20:00

I have had the same problem with  this. I system restore and it worked but when I reboted later it managed to stop working. I believe it is a critcal patch causing this. How do I stop the system updating and will there be a fix.

3 Posts

August 19th, 2012 21:00

Apparently it is McAfee, go to there website for fix

2 Posts

August 20th, 2012 14:00

I uninstalled McAfee and internet access returned.  Reinstalled McAfee and 20 hours later it is still working.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I did not have a restore point, will start doing that now.

1 Message

August 21st, 2012 09:00

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Internet went out 8/19 and I couldn't figure out what problem was. Computer with wireless connection (and no McAfee Virus protection) connected just fine. I'm no computer tech so I tried new ethernet cable - didn't work. Bought a new wireless adapter but didn't install - got worried. Was ready to call Dell support or pay a comp tech $80 an hour and Google found you!!!  It was/is a McAfee problem and their website has noted and release update. Thank you again!

1 Message

April 26th, 2020 17:00

Hey there can u pleaae show me where to find those settings by using screenshots thank you.

No Events found!