Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

July 15th, 2006 04:00

Cannot detect or install NIC, Inspiron 1100

My internal Network Interface Card seems to have vanished. I cannot detect nor install it. I tried the drivers on my recource CD and called Dell which gave me a link to newer drivers and still nothing. If any one has any ideas please let me know.

39 Posts

February 9th, 2010 12:00

If the NIC is not detected in device manager than you likely have a defective NIC.  Go to device manager and look in the "network adpters" section for the NIC.  You may have a wireless adapter as well so if you only see one that says wireless than the NIC is not detected by windows at all and a driver will NEVER resolve this.  If it was a driver issue the name of the NIC would show in Device Manager.  If it is not in device manager the only thing yuo can do is make sure the onboard LAN (NIC) is enabled in the bios.  If it is than the NIC is fried  and if it says disabled, just select Enable.

Turn on computer and on the Dell screen press the key it says to press to enter BIOS or Setup (F2 I think)

Look for "Onbord LAN" and make sure it says "Enabled"

If the NIC is still missing from device manager you will need to buy a new network interface card.  You can get a USB NIC for the notebook for under $50

Good Luck

No Events found!