Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

January 18th, 2017 14:00

Compatibility of Dell 1397 WLAN mini-Card with TP-LINK router configuration

Hello,

I made a fresh dual-boot installation of Windows 7 Ultimate and Ubuntu 16.04. Before this everything worked fine in Ubuntu 14. Ethernet connection with this router works. The current problem is that I can see the strong-singnal WiFi but I cannot connect: Ubuntu keeps asking me the password, and in Windows an error prompt pops up immediately after trying to connect.

I've been with this over a month, and I cannot recall exactly all the steps. After several attempts, I'm thinking that maybe WiFi card is not compatible with the particular router and its configuration, for this main reason:

(1) The router had a configuration (802.11 bgn maybe); I could see other WiFis but not mine (on both Windows and Ubuntu)

(2) After changing router configuration, nothing changed. I found a solution for Ubuntu here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/55868/installing-broadcom-wireless-drivers?page=1&tab=votes#tab-top and worked fine, in Windows tried reinstalling drivers but problem in (1) remained (drivers issues in Windows was attempted several times; in fact Windows at this point can see another wireless networks).

(3) Router configuration was set as in (1) (I'm on a shared house and the new configuration of (2) was very slow for everyone). After this the Good news: finally I was able to see the WiFi on Windows; Bad news: I cannot connect in either OS - On Ubuntu keeps asking me the password and wont connect, and the instructions of the link on (2) didn't work this time. On Windows the "Connection failed" prompt comes up.

If both operative systems gave similar errors, does this necessarily means compatibility error between WiFi card and modem? The router is TP-LINK. Could it be possible to configure network settings (on Windows and Ubuntu separately) to match them according to router configurations?

Best regards

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 19th, 2017 08:00

The only Windows 7 driver I can find for the 2008 Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN half mini-card is dated 5/18/12, version 5.30.21.0. I cannot find any documentation that states ubuntu was ever supported with this card. There is also no way we can know if there is a compatibility issue with the TP-Link router. Perhaps it is time to consider installing an up to date WLAN half mini-card?

5 Posts

January 19th, 2017 09:00

Thanks Chris, I will try with that driver in Windows. The link in the post has the instructions to make all Dell Broadcom WiFi cards to work in Ubuntu. Indeed I was thinking in updating the WLAN half mini-card. Do you have some general insights in the subject?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 19th, 2017 13:00

Most of the newer 2016 cards use the new M.2 slot. Perhaps something like this 2013 release that uses the older slot =
8TF1D Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

I would simply remove yours and take it to a local store so that they know what slot configuration is needed and purchase a newer model that uses that slot.

No Events found!