Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2010 18:00

Computer Shows Off Line In Network Map

I have three computes:  Dell 537 running Windows 7; Dell 521 running Windows Vista 32; Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop running Windows 7.  Here is the issue - using the laptop as the example.

On the laptop network map I can see all computers and they are active.  On the 521 network map I can only see the laptop, and on the 537 network map I can only see the laptop. 

On the 537 network map it shows the 521 "offline" - yet at the same time on the laptop network map the 521 is online, and shows an IP address.  Have I confused anyone yet?

Can anyone field this?

Thanks,  Kirk

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 28th, 2010 18:00

Kirk,

You're not using Mac address filtering, are you?

Make sure the wireless router had enought ip addresses to pool.

Are you using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings in your wireless router?

Try posting an ipconfig /all log, it may tell us something.

Rick

11 Posts

July 28th, 2010 21:00

Thanks for the reply.  Here is the ipconfigall

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 29th, 2010 03:00

Kirk,

Hit the Windows key and the R keys at the same time. Type

services.msc

hit enter look and make sure that DHCP is set for automatic

Also go to start, control panel, networking and sharing center, vies status, properties. Look at each, click on properties and make sure that it's set to DHCP, also.

Are you using a program to monitor your connection?

Try reading How to Network with HomeGroup in Windows 7

Rick

11 Posts

July 29th, 2010 18:00

Rick:

i was able to complete step 1, and DHCP is set for automatic.

Step 2 - DHCP active on both computers.

Step 3:  Network map is monitored by McAfee on all computers.  Network map show all computers on line on laptop.  The two desktops still do not communicate.

Step 4:  Windows 7 steps followed, and works on laptop which is the same configuration and Windows 7.

Still shows off-line.

Thanks, Kirk

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 29th, 2010 20:00

Kirk,

It's probably McAfee. This is for printers and is old, but it should give you a ballpark where to look.

Allowing Printer past McAfee

1. Open the McAfee Security Center and then click on the ‘Internet and Network’

2. To the right of ‘Internet and Network’ you would see all the services that are present under it, just below that you would have a button ‘Configure’ please click on that.

3. Now you would have the Internet and Network Configuration, in this window you would have an option ‘Firewall Protection in Enabled’ to the right of that you would have a downward arrow, click on that.

4. Then click on the ‘Advanced’ button which would have a new screen up.

5. To the left of that window you would have ‘System Services’ click on it and to the right pane of the window you would have the ports listed.

6. Please check the option which is for ‘Windows File Sharing’ then click on ‘Apply’ and then ‘Ok’

7. Restart the computer

Rick

11 Posts

July 30th, 2010 14:00

Rick:

Thanks.  Did thisand still no change.  I will field this now with McAfee and post the resulte.

Kirk

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 30th, 2010 16:00

Kirk,

Did you let Windows manage your connection or are you using a program to?

Rick

11 Posts

July 31st, 2010 06:00

Rick:

I did not install any program to manage the network for me.  The only thing I have installed is McAfee, which has within its' program a network manager.  It is McAfee suite, that is running on all the computers.  I do not see an option to turn this off.

Kirk

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 31st, 2010 09:00

Kirk,

Some people had issues with Dell's Control Point Connection Manager or a similar named program. They uninstalled it and had Windows manage their connection and their connection seemed to work well.Dell ControlPoint Connection Manager causes WiFi to drop connection

How to start Wireless Zero Configuration using Windows Vista Maybe this works for Windows 7

I would think it has something to do with the Networking and Sharing Center settings, possibably and McAfee. All computers are members of WORKGROUP and setup for sharing. Just thinking, do you need a klzehnder account on each computer with identical passwords for this to work? I never shared files and folders, so I.m not sure about how to share.

Rick

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 2nd, 2010 12:00

Kirk,

Virus protection on networked computer(s)?

Firewall(s) also?

Do you have a  klzehnder account on both computers with identical passwords?

Network Map in Windows Vista does not display computers that are running Windows XP

Rick

11 Posts

August 2nd, 2010 12:00

Rick:

Thank you for all your patience and help.  I have struck out, but have one more clue that might lead to a solution.

On the laptop, which sees all the computers, on the Windows 7 Network map it shows the Dell 537 (with Windows 7) as a big ?.  The computer appears at the bottom of the network map with the words:  "The following discovered device(s) can not be placed in the map."  The Dell 537 then shows below.

Let me know if this identifies anything.

Thank you,

Kirk

February 12th, 2011 15:00

Kirk,

Some people had issues with Dell's Control Point Connection Manager or a similar named program. They uninstalled it and had Windows manage their connection and their connection seemed to work well.Dell ControlPoint Connection Manager causes WiFi to drop connection

How to start Wireless Zero Configuration using Windows Vista Maybe this works for Windows 7

I would think it has something to do with the Networking and Sharing Center settings, possibably and McAfee. All computers are members of WORKGROUP and setup for sharing. Just thinking, do you need a klzehnder account on each computer with identical passwords for this to work? I never shared files and folders, so I.m not sure about how to share.

Rick

Rick

I understand this part, Thanks for your explanation! It helps me out of the problem.
No Events found!