Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 19th, 2012 18:00

Connected to network but no internet access.

I have an XPS L502X and when I turned it on today I noticed I was connected to my network but I had no internet access. This is the first time this has happened to me. Please Help!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 19th, 2012 18:00

ThisDude777,

Are you using McAfee? If yes, try using system restore and go back a day or two before their last update. Something in their update caused connection problems.

Rick

August 19th, 2012 19:00

Thank you so much Rick you helped a ton!

August 19th, 2012 21:00

Thanks, it really helped me too

2 Posts

August 19th, 2012 21:00

I am having the same problem but when I attempt to use a restore point I get:  'The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.  (0x80070570)', then it tells me I may attempt to use System Restore using a different restore point.  Upon clicking Restore I get:  'X There was an unexpected error:   Catastrophic failure (0x8000FFFF)  Please close System Restore and try again.'    At the beginning of my system restore I am only given 2 possible restore points, and both of them lead to this error.  Any ideas?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 19th, 2012 22:00

Largon64,

To get back online, you'll need to remove McAfee. I'm not sure if you'll need to use the McAfee Removal Tool or not.

Rick

2 Posts

August 20th, 2012 04:00

Hi Rick,

Trying what you suggested and its working now. Im using an X51. after the latest update from microsot (18/8/2012) I'm unable to get a connection. does this mean that once i restore before the updates i wont be able to update microsoft again?

Please advise.

regards,

Justin Edwards

2 Posts

August 20th, 2012 05:00

Rick,

I have the same issue - wireless access - no internet access and I have McAfee. An additional issue is I have no idea how to 'use a system restore and go back a few days'.

My issue started yesterday evening - 29 hours ago.

Can you give me a few ideas on how to restore?

Thanks

2 Posts

August 20th, 2012 05:00

Thank you, after deleting McAfee I am now able to get on the internet once more.  McAfee is the virus protection I purchased with my Dell (36 months, of which I have used 6), do we know if McAfee is working on a fix so I can re-install?

1 Message

August 20th, 2012 07:00

I am having the same problem too. But if I don't have internet access, can I get into McAfee to use the system restore? Any additional information on this problem would be greatly appreciated!

1 Message

August 20th, 2012 09:00

When i started my Inspiron 1764 laptop my wireless internet stopped working.  I called my ISP and with all the other wireless devices working just fine and seeing the internet, I believe the 1397 WLAN mini-card has stopped working.

I started the computer in “Safe Mode with Networking” and it found the internet just fine

I tried to find updated drivers and all would not install because I would get the message that can't find compatible hardware for the drivers.

Then when I did the system restore, VOILA!!!! It worked!

Thanks Rick!  Great help!!!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 20th, 2012 16:00

LFCdell,

Start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system restore. Go to the nearest restore point befor you lost the connection. If system retore is not working, then you'll need to uninstall McAfee. Not sure f you'll need to ue the McAfee Removal Tool

Restart your computer and you should be able to connect. McAfee has fixed the issue, so you can reinstall McAfee.

Rick

6 Posts

August 21st, 2012 02:00

You're a life saver. I wasted several hours over the weekend trying to fix my connectivity problem until I read your post today from my work computer. As soon as I uninstalled McAfee my Dell immediately connected to the Internet. Thanks a lot for posting.

1 Message

August 22nd, 2012 04:00

Thank u Rick! u saved me a trip to the comp repair shop.

When I bought my current laptop, the McAfee program came with it. So far, I have 240 days remaining of virus protection. If I do uninstall it, how do I reinstall without buying a new one?  

Hope u can help.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 22nd, 2012 04:00

Stupid Dell,

There is a stickie at the top of the Dell Networking, Internet, Wireless Forums by McAfee Support. The informtion is there on what to do.

Using system restore to before Saturday night, brings back your connection. You then update McAfee and problem solved.

Rick

1 Message

August 22nd, 2012 11:00

I'm having the same issue - connected to network but no internet access. I have tried connecting to different networks & it still gives me the yellow explanation point & says no internet access with a x pointing to the internet symbol. If I do a system restore, will it remove any software I have downloaded onto my computer?

No Events found!