Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

June 10th, 2008 00:00

Connecting Dell Desktop Dimension 4550 wirelessly to Apple Time Capsule

I have a Dell Desktop Dimension 4550, running Windows XP with Service Pack No. 2. I have been trying to get internet access on it, and cannot. I have been using a Netgear Wireless USB Adaptor, MA101, 2.4 GHz, 11 Mbps. I know the Netgear Wireless Adaptor works, because I used it earlier this year on an even older Dell Desktop. I loaded Airport (version 5.3) on the Dell desktop. When Airport scans for the wireless service, it does not see the new Time Capsule, which is my router. The 4550 sees no available internet server.

The windows software sees the Time Capsule, it detects the time capsule, but can't connect to the Time Capsule). On the 4550, when I scan for apple wireless devices using the Airport Utility software, I get the message, "Airport Utility was unable to find any Apple wireless devices".

Windows sees Time Capsule, but when I attempt to connect through Windows, I get the message, "Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no longer be in range. Please refresh the list of available networks, and try to connect again."

Other computers in my apartment are able to access internet wirelessly in the apartment (a Dell laptop and a MacBook) without any problem.

The Dell 4550 desktop is about 40 feet away from Time Capsule--so, I don't think it is the distance or interference. I have a Dell laptop (Inspiron 600m), which connects easily and which maintains a signal (about three bars) when I put it next to the Dell desktop. So, the laptop has no problem with the distance. The Dell 4550 used to be connected to my old Linksys router  by ethernet cable,  and connected to the internet without any problem.

I upgraded. I now have a new IMac (2.66 GHz, running Leopard 10.5.2) and Time Capsule. The IMac is connected by ethernet cable to Time Capsule. It is running fine. I had Airport set to WPA/WPA2 Personal security, radio mode 802.11n, channel 2. At the suggestion of someone at the Apple forum, I changed to  WEP 128-bit security. He indicated that, "The last driver update for MA101 was in 2002/2003 and therefore it probably does not support the newer security method, which is why Windows is able to scan your network, but unable to connect resulting in a message error, "Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no longer be in range. Please refresh the list of available networks, and try to connect again."" Unfortunately, this did not solve the problem.

1. Any suggestions?

2. I am thinking of buying a new adapter, since the Netgear Wireless USB Adaptor, MA101, is old, and I am concerned that it may be the source of the problem. Sound correct?

3. I assume if I buy a wireless adapter, I do not also need a card.

Many thanks for your assistance. 

June 25th, 2008 11:00

Anyone have any suggestions here? I am trying to connect a Dell Desktop Dimension 4550 wirelessly to Apple Time Capsule. Windows sees Time Capsule, but when I attempt to connect through Windows, I get the message, "Windows is unable to connect to the selected network. The network may no longer be in range. Please refresh the list of available networks, and try to connect again." Any suggestions?

1 Message

August 1st, 2008 19:00

Lawrence...

have you had any luck or found a workaorund for this issue??

i was shocked to find someone else having the same exact problem as me. i also have a Dimension 4550 and am trying to connect wirelessly with a Netgear MA 101 USB wireless adapter.

im also getting this same exact error message, although im trying to connect to a Linksys WRT110 RangePlus router and am going through the Windows wireless connection utility to attempt a connection.  the utility recognizes the network signal when scanning for available networks, but delivers the error as soon as i try to connect.  i also have a Vostro 1500 notebook and a PlayStation3, each of which have no problem connecting wirelessly.

if you have found a workaround, i would be thrilled to hear about it. however, after reading your posts here and at the Apple forums, i fear that this is likely a conflict between the MA 101 and the Dimension 4550.

hoping anxiously to hear from you....

Message Edited by The FlyerFly on 08-01-2008 03:18 PM
No Events found!