Go to Solution

July 26th, 2014 14:00

Constantly need to "reset wireless network adapter"

Setup:

Ethernet from modem to router then:

Ethernet from router to Desktop

Ethernet from router to Ooma (Phone)

Ethernet from router to Sonos Controller

About 1/2 a year ago, I would typically lose my wireless internet connection once or twice every hour I was using my laptop.  I kept having to "Reset Wireless Adapter".  A housemate using a different Dell laptop (don't know which model) did not have any problems with dropouts.  I lived with the issue b/c I mainly use my desktop.  Now, my desktop is having the same problem. 

How do I fix this "problem"?  I work from home and I can't have my connection dropping out all of the time. 

TIA!

System Info:

Dell Desktop Studio XPS 8100 running Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

Network Card: Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet PCI express x1 (OEM)

Network Card: Qualcomm Atheros DW1525 (802.11N) WLAN PCIe (OEM)

-----------------------------------------

Dell Laptop XPS 1647 running Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

Network Card:  Intel Centrino WiMax 6250

Network Card: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6250 AGN

Network Card: Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet PCI express x1

Network Card: Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Mini-card (never use Bluetooth)

--------------------------------------

Router: Netgear WNDR 3700 (have had for 3 - 4 years)

Modem: Motorola Surfboard SB6141

ISP: Time Warner

November 1st, 2015 22:00

Hi

I have tried all the above too but like Alan I am on a XPS desktop rather than a laptop and cannot see an n or g setting in the adapter settings.

It is certainly seems windows 10 related.

I am going to have to live with this reset nightmare *** for a few months as I am in transit and the only available connection is wireless.

Any desktop fixes?

Thanks in advance.

Best

Richard

5.2K Posts

November 2nd, 2015 04:00

Richard, have you tried to change the DNS Server addresses as detailed above? This has actually worked in several cases.

November 2nd, 2015 09:00

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I did try that but the problem persists. I will enter them again and see what happens.

November 2nd, 2015 15:00

Thanks Dave. I had already seen this setting change and applied it but with no luck.

There are b and n settings in Advanced Wireless settings which I have no idea what they mean but went for the options with most variable in both (not the "only" options) Don't think it helped though:

802 11b preamble

'Long and Short ' / 'Long only'

802 11b Bandwidth Value

'20MHz' / '40 MHx Auto or 20MHz only'

November 2nd, 2015 16:00

No luck with the DNS settings change either sadly

November 10th, 2015 08:00

Still not good. I wonder what USB antenna I should buy?

2 Posts

January 31st, 2016 13:00

I have a similar problem with my XPS 8900.  Only happens when the computer (desktop) goes into standby or when we switch from one user to another.  But it happens every time.  Rather than user forum responses from us know-little folks, it would be nice if Dell would respond and provide a fix.

5.2K Posts

February 1st, 2016 19:00

What DNS server addresses did you use? Using 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 works good.

Have you tried different router channel numbers? Try one or 13 vs. the usual 6 default number.

If the Advanced wireless tab has an option to defeat the "n" mode, try that.

There is a good possibility your router is the problem. New, good ones are not expensive

2 Posts

February 3rd, 2016 13:00

Well, not being a techie, most of your advice is well over my head.  However the one I do understand, seems unlikely.  I have half a dozen devices on my wireless network.  Only this one has the problem.  All others connect to the network without incident.  This points to the Windows 10 machine as the culprit, not the router.  Dell suggested updating drivers.  Hopefully this will solve the issue.

1 Message

March 20th, 2016 10:00

Hi All, I have the same problem. After a few minutes of connecting my Dell laptop to Netgear wireless network, the whole network shuts down and I have to restart the router. It seems unlikely that the wireless adapter would somehow send a command the router to shut down, Has anyone checked if it could be because of security settings on the router? The only explanation I can think of, is that Dell wireless adapter sends some kind of signal or message which appears to be a security threat and so, the router shuts down. It could be in the security policy which is preset so I can not change it. I can only change the security level to low, medium or high. Any help on this??

1 Message

August 8th, 2016 02:00

I am totally not a computer person so I just arrived at this answer by Googling and guessing... it may be wrong, but this is what I did and it seems to have worked...

On my desktop computer, I right clicked on the wireless icon in the task bar, then clicking on "Change adapter settings" on the left hand side of the window that opened up. From there, right click on "WiFi" and select "Properties", then click on "Configure" and select the "Advanced" tab. There is a list of properties, one of which was (on my computer, anyway) "802.11n Preamble", which I changed from "Auto" to "Mixed mode"... my wireless connection was restored immediately, although that was only about 10 minutes ago so will see if it lasts!

5.2K Posts

September 6th, 2016 18:00

Defeating the "n" mode has also be successful

1 Message

October 31st, 2016 20:00

Thank you KirkD.  I'm using Windows 10 on a Dell Inspiron 5755 which has given me sleepless nights in diverse ways since acquisition in Nov. 2015.  Your suggestions yielded a Halloween treat. 

I used your primary open address suggestion with good effect, then went looking for the "n" mode.  Could not find it!  HOWEVER -- and this may be a Halloween treat I can offer to others experiencing "Network Adapter" failure -- in my search in Device Manager, while viewing  Properties for my Network Adapter (right click on Dell WIreless...) I noticed a Tab for "Power Management."  There I discovered an option to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.  IT WAS CHECKED.  I unchecked it, and the problem evaporated.  I suggest a look at properties in other devices.  I found the same evil option in two other devices, but this probably varies system to system.  Hope it helps.

Since I alluded to continuing issues I'll mention that while writing this reply I experienced four instances of the "ERRATIC JUMPING CURSOR" problem which has plagued me for nearly a year.  Dell Technical Support made valiant efforts to remedy it, including two trips (for the computer) to Texas.  It is still an ongoing and recurring problem.   It's like buying a car, then having it spontaneously veer onto the shoulder every few miles.  Usually you can get back on the road, but sometimes there's some damage, and always there's injury to that most valuable commodity -- time.

Pros_Cons (October 31, 2016)

5.2K Posts

November 2nd, 2016 12:00

Go9d work! This power saving option has given problems with other hardware.

For the jumping cursor,there are touchpad options and alternate drivers that can help. However, many laptops are now using a touchpad specified by Microsoft, called a Precision Touchpad. The driver for this pad is part of the Win 10 (and 8) Operating System, and add-in drivers will not work. Don't know if the 5755 has this pad; sometimes hard to find out this info.  Best thing to try is a free utility, TouchFreeze. This utility turns the pad off when you begin to type, and back on when you stop. Thus is a cure for "danglingfingeritus" which is thecause of many of these problems. With some pads, their sensitivity is so high that you don't need to actually touch the pad, just hover over it with your hand.

November 4th, 2016 13:00

When I had Windows 7 I didn't have any problems with my wireless adaptor needing to be reset...ever.  I now have Windows 10 and my wireless adaptor was driving me crazy needing a reset every time I logged on.  BUT!!!!!   I found the cure for at least my laptop.  RB=right button, LB=left button.

(1) (RB) the start icon on your desktop and LB select "Network Connections"..

(2) (LB) double click on your Wi-Fi connection.

(3) (LB) select "Properties" at the bottom of the window.

(4) (LB) select "Configure".

(5) (LB) select "Power Management".

(6) Un-check "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

My wireless adaptor hasn't needed a reset since and it has been weeks since I did this.  I hope it works for you too.,

No Events found!