Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

U

May 15th, 2010 14:00

D-610 Drives recommended DO NOT WORK

The D-610 Drive recommended DOES NOT WORK.

Are there actually two different hardware that require two different drives ?

When I install the Dell - Driver ~ Wireless (US) LWAN Card that is recommended the hardware is not installed.

When I install the Intel - Driver ~ Intel (R) PRO/Wireless Network Connection that is optional the Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection hardware is installed.

Questions

1. Are there actually two different hardware for wireless with separate drivers ?

2.  I would like Wireless Zero Configuration to control wireless so how do I uninstall the program but preserve the Hardware install.

Basically do not to use the Fan icon by the clock and have the WZC control (computer icon) wireless.

3. I want to share a wired internet connection between two computer that are connected by wireless.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Uber_Noob,

If you reinstalled the operating system, you need to install the drivers in the correct order.

How to Install Drivers in Microsoft® Windows® on Dell Systems

How can I disable wireless configuration services and enable the Windows XP Wireless Zero Configuration services

How to start Wireless Zero Configuration using Windows Vista

You could try getting the drivers from Intel's website, if it is an Intel card.

Intel® Driver Update Utility for Intel® wireless adapters

Rick

26 Posts

Thank U for the advice. These will help a lot.

Can U inform if there are 2 different hardware that require too different drives ? Dell adapter and Intel Adapter ? The Drives web page does not indicate that.

I still do not understand the difference between Intel® PROSet/Wireless & Dell wireless WLAN are these 2 different components ?

Reference:

Computer: D-610

Thank U again and eagerly awaiting further advice.

887 Posts

May 15th, 2010 15:00

I tried to explain in your other post that you need to determine which wlan adapter you have... you said you had the Intel Pro wlan, so you do not have the Dell wlan adapter.  The driver choices are for all the different wlan adpaters that dell has shipped with the unit.  You need to chose the one that is installed in your particular unit.  

26 Posts

May 16th, 2010 02:00

Thank U ... sorry I did not understand the first time.

I was able to install all the correct drivers and all works great except I cannot disable the Wireless in Network Connections.

Please inform me how to disable the Wireless in the Network Connections page.

The following message pop-up error appears when right click Wireless icon then click disable.

Error Disabling Connection

It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. This connection may be using one or more protocols that do not support Plug-and-Play, or it may have been initiated by another user or the system account.

I am able to disable in the system hardware device manager.

Windows XP D-610

Thank U all again for your time.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

May 16th, 2010 13:00

Uber_Noob,

What shows up at...

start, all programs, accessories, system tools, system information, network adapter. Scroll down and look to see if the adapter shows.

Does the adapter show in the device manager?

Did you install Dell Quickset?

Did you try running WinSock XP Fix?

Rick

26 Posts

May 16th, 2010 17:00

Thanks Rick for all the help. We are getting there slowly. :emotion-1:

The Wireless Adapter does show up in Device Manager and I am able to disable it there.

I get the the previous error message if I try to disable it in Networks Connections page.

I did run WinSock XP Fix - did not fix it.

What else can I do ? I would like to be able to disable wifi from the Network Connection page.

No Events found!