Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 1st, 2008 21:00

D-Link DWA-542 and Vista

I installed a D-Link DWA-542 wireless card in bottom PCI slot on brand-new Dell Inspiron 531 with Vista Home Premium (32 bit).  (I have D-Link router to high-speed cable internet and three Dell laptops work fine.)  The computer seizes up with large diagonal lines going from top right to bottom left on monitor.

Dell technical support said to call D-Link customer support.  D-Link customer support felt the problem was a defective card.  Returned the card to store and swapped for another DWA-542.  Same thing happened -- that is, computer seizes with diagonal lines on monitor.  Only thing I can do is turn power off.

Called D-Link again.  Suggested two fixes.  One was to download and install drivers for Vista (32-bit).  Second was to call Dell and have a new IRQ number assigned, as the computer may not be distinguishing between wireless card and video. 

I downloaded Vista (32 bit) driver to a CD.  I copied the driver from CD to new desktop. I reinstalled the wireless card.  In the middle of installing the Vista driver, the computer seized up with the diagonal line.  I removed the card and the driver did not successfully install.

I called Dell technical support and asked about a diiferent IRQ number.  Dell technical support person told me that I need to get new IRQ number from D-Link.  Called D-Link and they said I have to get it from Dell.

Is anyone familiar with my problem with the computer seizing with the diagonal lines on the monitor? If so, is the IRQ number change the fix?  I have had the desktop out of the box for almost a week and cannot get the wireless internet to function.

1 Rookie

• 

2.1K Posts

January 2nd, 2008 05:00

well, good luck...  i tryed to set up wireless with vista home premium, and my netgear wpn 824 routher , and with the usb adapter that supports the router.  i could not get it to work, and returned the adapter.....not sure why i could not get it working, but i tryed a long time on it. now i have never had a problem getting wireless going on windows xp...  vista seems to have its problems, but maybe someone eles can help ya... i do like the netgear wpn 824 router, it works flawlessly.
No Events found!