Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 1st, 2010 14:00

DELL Inspirion Mini 10V will not Connect to the Internet..Tried EVERYTHING.... Help!!!

Hello,

Over two weeks ago I purchase a brand new dell  mini 10v netbook. For some strange reason it will no connect to the internet. I keep getting server not found. I have check all my setting .. did a recovery..  Call dell contact support and they said i had a bad driver. They sent me another brand new computer. And STILL CANT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET.  At this point i am really irate because here it is i couldnt use my brand new computer then they send me another one and it still does not want to work. I have another desktop computer at home that is HP and that connects to the internet through the ethernet cord just fine. I tried to connect through the ethernet cord and when I am somewhere to get wi-fi and i see that i have a strong connection but it nevers connect. Can anybody help me try to connect to the internet. I tried to download additional driver and that did not work it gave me a error message. Im now at the point where i am very mad and on the verge of just getting another company because I dont have time to wait another 2 weeks for them to figure out the problem. Nor should i feel like i need to pay someone to fix a brand new computer. I know it is not my internet srvice provider because im on the internet all the time on my other devices. Please can anyone walk me through and help me get the internet please!!! If not then this netbook is worthless and I will just go get something else.

347 Posts

March 1st, 2010 15:00

call Dell again, ask to speak to a manager in tech support. They will get a person that can help you. When you attach a wire to  your computer to connect to the network, do you get an IP address?

3 Posts

March 2nd, 2010 06:00

I have been on the phone with them all night and all this morning and no one have answers to why two brand new computers wont connect to the internet. I do get an ip address but it start with a 169 and i was told by a dell person that the ip address is in correct. I have did all the trouble shooting with them and still nothing works. i do not have a gateway address so i dont know if that will matter. I have tried different internet providers and still no luck with connecting and browsing the internet. Just trying to get someone else finally advice before i trade it in and get a different computer all together.

347 Posts

March 2nd, 2010 15:00

if your ip address starts with 169.254.x.x, that means its  not getting an IP address from your router (not good). if you're getting a 192.168.x.x, thats usually from a router that you have at your house. in order to operate correctly, your system must receive a  gateway address as well or this isnt going to work. try this, whoever makes  your wireless router, call them and ask them to help you, perhaps they will be more usefull. if they do help you, please post what was wrong.  

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

March 2nd, 2010 16:00

I have tried different internet providers

How exactly are you doing that?

With most people you either have DSL or you have cable internet or you have FIOS.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 3rd, 2010 08:00

crmelontop,

In Device manager, did you try changing the antenna diversity from Auto to Aux?

To turn on the wireless card press F2.

What type of wireless router are you using?

Was the wireless router setup?

Did you try turning off your ISP modem/router and your wireless router. Wait 30 seconds, then turn on your ISP modem. Then wait 30 more seconds and turn on your wireless router. Try to connect.

Did you try...

WinSock XP Fix?

Rick 

3 Posts

March 4th, 2010 06:00

Thanks for everyone sugguestions.. I fix the problem. Apparently using other people wi-fi and my own home modem (with no router hook up)and work modem the computer was not getting all the address needed to allow me to access the internet.. I tried one last thing which was i went and bought a usb modem service because that was the only thing I havent tried to use.. Plus I needed one because Im always  on the go...And once i install that.. IT WORK LIKE A CHARM.. Im guessing the old school way of taking the etherrnet cord and pluggin it into any computer is gone you need routers and extra modems and all type of other things for the newer computers to work. Im just glad this big ordeal is over with and I can now surf the internet with no problem. Im just mad it took me 4 weeks,constant hours troubleshooting and on the phone with dell,  and 2 brand new computers to figure it out!

No Events found!