Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 12th, 2015 08:00

DELL Inspiron 3148 WiFi issues (Windows 10)

Hi

I bought a DELL Inspiron 3148 a few days ago. It's now upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

Windows 8.1 = I do not have the below problem.
Windows 10 = I do have the below problem.

I have been experiencing (and I still am experiencing to some extent) problems with my WiFi (Broadcom 1708 WiFi/BT combo chip). The problem is the same whether I'm running the laptop on battery or mains.

Problems:
- WiFi networks not available and not connected (I see a red cross over the WiFi icon in the Taskbar); or
- WiFi networks available but not connected

To manually fix either of these problems I have had to do one of the following, either:
- Disable and enable the Network Adaptor (this often works); or
- Reset the Network Adapter by running the "Network Troubleshooting" (this always works)

Then, once the WiFi is properly connected it works well for a short while (less than 15 mins). After that it shows "Limited" (under the chosen WiFi network name) or no connection (red cross through the WiFi icon in the Taskbar).

Although the above actions sort of fixed the issues it quickly became very frustrating and totally impractical, so I went in search of more permanent fixes on the internet and found the below suggestions.

Notes:
- I've not given an exact step-by-step howto at this stage. If things are unclear let me know and I'll updated the text accordingly.
- I've applied all the steps (in the order given below) and have not undo any previous steps ie. this is building each "fix" on top of the previous "fix".
- The below is amalgamation of what I've found and what seems to work (to some extent) for me. It might even be that some of the below is not really helping and/or is an overkill.

Right, here goes...

A. Driver
===================================================
1) Install latest WiFi adapter drivers.

The DELL Broadcom 1708 WiFi driver information on DELL driver homepage shows:
File name: 3148_Network_Driver_TH22T_WN32_7.35.295.0_A01.exe
Last modified: 17th Sept 2015

During installation of the driver, the date is shown as 6th August 2015.
After installation of the driver, the date is shown as 30th July 2015.

When I make a double-check that the driver is really upto date I get the following message "The best driver software for your device is already installed"

I also have the "DELL Updater" installed on my laptop and it shows "Your system is up to date".

Questions:
i) Why are does the driver still show "30th July 2015" even though the date shown on the DELL driver homepage shows "17th Sept 2015"?
ii) How do I really know if I have the real latest version of the driver installed, ie. version from 17th Sept 2015?
iii) I am supposed to delete the current driver before installing the new driver? Of "yes" then how"? 

2) Change Driver setup in the Advance Settings:
2.1) AP Compatible, set to Broader Compatibility
2.2) Minimum Power Consumption, set to Disabled
This did not fix the problems.

B. Power settings
Control Panel - Hardware and Software - Power Options
Dell - Change Plan Settings - Change Advanced Power Settings
Wireless Adapter Settings - Power Saving Mode
On Battery, set to Maximum Performance
Plugged in, set to Maximum Performance

C. Forget all previous WiFi networks
I simply ran what was recommended. The purpose is not 100% clear to me.
Settings - Network & Internet - WiFi - Manage WiFi Settings
Individually select each network and click "Forget". (Tedious but not sure how to Forget All)

D. BT interference
I installed the latest BT driver from DELL's homepage.

I have noticed the following with BT:
1) Turn on the BT (without pairing or streaming data ie. no stereo audio from PC to BT headset)
   WiFi signal strength not reduced. WiFi remains stable  
2) Pair BT without starting to stream audio data to BT headset
   WiFi signal strength not reduced. WiFi remains stable  
3) Streaming audio over BT to my BT headset
   WiFi signal strength reduced but remains stable, ie. doesn't disconnect

Is there potentially a WiFi/BT co-existence issue here too?

E. Register
I believe this is related to the Cisco VPN client from Win8 having an issue, but it's not 100% clear to me.
Again, I simply ran what was recommended.

- Press Windows Logo + X from your keyboard.
- Now select Command Prompt (Admin) Not the non-Admin version of the Command Prompt
- Now enter the following command and press enter.
  reg delete HKCR\CLSID\{988248f3-a1ad-49bf-9170-676cbbc36ba3} /va /f

(I only got to this point as this did not work for me. The deletion couldn't happend as nothing was there in my system to be deleted, but it may work for you)

netcfg -v -u dni_dne
- Now restart your PC.

F. Resetting TCP/IP auto-tuning
Again I simply ran what was recommended.

- Now select Command Prompt (Admin) Not the non-Admin version of the Command Prompt
- Now enter the following commands, pressing enter after each command
  netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
  netsh int tcp global autotuninglevel=disabled
  netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled

You should get an "OK" after each commend is entered.

You can also check it worked by entering the following command
  netsh int tcp show global
It should show only the first state "Receive-side scaling state" as enabled, all others should be disabled.

- Now restart your PC.

G. IP resetting
Again I simply ran what was recommended.

- Now enter the following commands, then enter
  netsh int ip reset

- Now restart your PC.

This seems to fix my problems as my WiFi has been constantly attached to the same WiFi network for over one hour now.
Previously, before running the above command, it would drop every 15 mins or less.

That said, I need to manually connect to the WiFi as the automatic connection no longer seems to work at all.

Please let me know if you have any constructive feedback on the above and/or if you have other workarounds/solutions.

Many Thanks,
Alan

1 Message

January 16th, 2016 19:00

I fixed this by setting the "2G Bandwidth Capability" flag to "2.4G: 20/40MHz" in the Advanced tab in the Dell Wireless Properties in Device Manager. I found it set to only 20MHz and changing to 20/40 seems to have worked. So far the WiFi connection has held stable for about an hour after this setting.

13 Posts

October 8th, 2015 10:00

8 Posts

October 8th, 2015 10:00

I have the same experiences with my 3148 after I upgraded it to Win 10 about 2 months ago.

I have had the same steps you tried taken (remotely) by the Dell Support Team members...at least 6 times now over the last 7 weeks...including yesterday.  My case file must be 15 pages long by now?

When I opened the 3148 this AM - on battery power - in a lower signal area of my home...it demonstrated the same old dropped signal issue...as it always has.  Really frustrating!  It drops signals where ever I operate the 3148...not just at my home.

The last tech...promised to replace the wifi card and antenna if this drop issue remains after his recent (2 hour) scrubbing the wifi drivers, settings and BIOS resets.

I am going for the new card...even though the Dell Diagnostics web software program gives the card a passing rating.

I still believe this is a software issue with Win 10 and the designs in the wifi formatting for the Win 8 which the 3148 was designed and built.

I'll try the replacement card/antenna and see if the issue is resolved....will post the results once accomplished.

Thanks for the confirmation of your issues...and more...thanks for the Dell Warranty and home replacement services!

1 Message

November 27th, 2015 15:00

I'm having the same issue.  Tech support has not been able to solve.  Have you replaced the network adapter? Has it solved the issue?

January 10th, 2016 10:00

hello, I am also having the same issue with my dell inspiron 15. it was running fine after the windows ten upgrade and I had no problems until about a month ago when Microsoft released the second upgrade to windows ten home.  For some time  thought it was my wireless network and had ATT rename and reboot it but after a few days it started again. my tablet and phone stay connected, but my laptop does not.  microsoft has a bug, or dell has incompatible hardware.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

January 30th, 2016 06:00

Dell have a new driver 7.35.333.0 released on the 22/01/2016:

http://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER03503644M/1/Network_Driver_XT97T_WN32_7.35.333.0_A04.EXE

This driver is for both the 1704 and 1708.

March 6th, 2016 13:00

Hey DELL -- we're all still waiting for a driver that works!

You're website says "windows 10" supported -- but I guess you mean "only if you don't use WIFI"...

come on - get a driver released!

1 Message

June 7th, 2016 14:00

I upgraded from 8.1 and updated all drivers ... laptop kept crashing with BSOD page fault on non paged area frequently, followed setting system properties -> Advanced -> Performance settings -> advanced ->
 change from automatcially manage paging file size to "system managed size" and that slowed it down but network continues to cause problem specially if I access NAS drive. Symptoms of symanted end point protection issue when access NAS drive... but others trigger it as well.

What finally fixed if for me was: This was after I updated all drivers available for win 10 on this device.

- Downloaded all 8.1 network drivers on a thumdrive

- Uninstall network drivers and installed 8.1 on windows 10... so far so good, no BSOD thus far.

1 Message

October 7th, 2016 16:00

Allan,  Thank you for these instructions, I followed this and it my Inspiron 3148 WiFi is working about 98% of the time.  When I purchased the Inspiron 3148 I did an upgrade to Windows 10 and the WiFi would not stay connected.  I contacted Dell Support and they were extremely helpful in getting it resolved by running  similar command prompts like you listed.  Two weeks ago Microsoft issued a new Windows 10 upgrade and again my WiFi stopped working.

I called Dell Support, but they told me that since my Inspiron 3148 is out of warranty that they were going to charge me to fix the issue.  I was extremely upset and after talking with 3 different "supervisors" I was finally contacted by a new Supervisor, who again told me that since the PC is out of warranty they will fix the issue, but will charge me.

I told them that I found this article and a number of other ones on the Internet all discussing this issue and that it sounds like the real issue is with the Dell WiFi Adapter Windows Driver and I asked when Dell would be issuing a new driver.

Once I told him this, he said that he will send a Dell technician to my home to replace the WiFi adapter at no cost!

I told him that would be even better, especially since I don't want to have to go through this every time a new Windows update comes out.

I will post another reply once Dell replaces the adapter and it works with Windows 10, but without your instructions the WiFi wasn't working at all.

Thanks again!

November 30th, 2016 12:00

It worked

November 30th, 2016 12:00

It works!!

1 Message

February 14th, 2018 21:00

I had the same issue with my Inspiron 15 5565. After upgrade to build 1709 I also experienced bluescreens, which cratered the OS a number of times. At the direction of dell support I created a USB install device from microsoft and re-imaged my system instead of using the factory image. While I have a lot of work to do, I now have a system (with no Dell add-ons) that is quite stable. I use NAS for backup and for the first time it works.

Now, root cause: During my search around Dell I found that the SmartByte driver has a patch dated a few days after I worked with support and it has the same symptoms. I believe it is a network optimization addon that, well, did not optimize so well. Still waiting for confirmation, but not likely to install it again since my system is working far better than ever.

No Events found!