Highlighted
newtie2
1 Nickel

DW1501 does not see 5ghz network

Hi-

I've had my Studio 14 for a few days now and it's working pretty well. I have a NetGear RangeMax 3700 dual band router. The laptop sees my 'g' network but does not see the 'n' network. I see through searching that some other people are having the same problem. I know it has something to do with this laptop as my wife's Latitude right over there on the kitchen table sees both just fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
67 Replies
tank7195
1 Nickel

Re: DW1501 does not see 5ghz network

I have the same problem on a brand new Inspiron with the DW1501 card and a d-link dir-825 dual band router and spent hours with tech support. I have a studio that also has no problems with the 2.4 or 5 gHz frequency. Any thoughts

0 Kudos
newtie2
1 Nickel

I've spent 2 hours with Dell and they can't fix it either. I've got a 90 day return option because I bought it at Costco. I'm not sure whether I'm going to return it yet, though. I'm not paying a cent for something I've already paid for!

0 Kudos
fjduhaime
1 Copper

I spent the day in the forums, I have a Studio 17 just past the 21 day return policy, cant get the issue resolved today, have tried calling,emailing,chatting, all failed.....

I hope we all can get some help on this, its frustrating.

0 Kudos

Everyone,

Not sure if this will help. Try

Start, search, type

quickset

click on quickset. You should get a screen that looks like...

Click on Launch control options Wi-Fi Catcher. You should see a screen that looks like this...

Click on advanced settings. You should see a screen like this...

Make sure the Bands to scan has the proper box selected. If it's the correct one, change it to 802.11bgn, click apply, then change it to 802.11abgn click apply, ok

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
bigd7
1 Copper

No Quickset Application in my Studio 1558 (just the DW WLAN App), but I too am having the same problem. Lots of time with Dell support ... they even sent me a new DW1501 card and the results are the same. I am now asking them to send me a DW1520 (which I think is an upgrade). The reason for this is I also have an Inspiron that had a DW1515 N card that I installed in the Studio ... and voila !!! The laptop connected with excellent strength and a speed of 130 mbs.

So as I suspected, the issue is with the card itself, or most likely the Win 7/64bit drivers written for it. I'll let you know how it goes with Dell tomorrow, but in the meantime, if anyone else has found a solution, please let me know.

0 Kudos
Willeee Wonka
1 Copper

Having the same problem on a Studio 1558 running windows 7 with a DW1501 wireless card. Have a Netgear 802.11n simultaneous dual band 2.4/5 GHz router WNDR3400. The DW1501 link speed with WEP is 54mbps, if I turn off WEP and go with no encryption I get 72mbps link speed. This is only on the 2.4 GHz radio, the DW1501 does not see the 5GHz radio network. Because of the 72mbps link speed does this mean that I am connected at 802.11n with a degraded speed. I know the the 5GHz radio on the Netgear is working because my MacBook draft-N can detect the network. I updated to the latest driver however noticed that the supported OS is Vista and not Win 7, it loaded OK so was not concerned. Should there be seperate driver for Win 7?

I did locate the quickset app in c:/program files/Dell/Quickset. When I launch the Windows Mobility Center Wi-Fi catcher is not a selection. In the quickset folder there is a seperate app for the Wi-Fi catcher. When launched I am unable to check the box to "enable Wi-Fi Catcher Network Locator". Not sure what to do next.

0 Kudos
newtie2
1 Nickel

You're never going to be able to fix this. After hours of finally convincing the Dell rep (pretty disconcerting when you know more than the tech) that the DW1501 card was not designed to to receive a 5ghz signal regardless of what it says on the box, I returned mine to Costco and got my money back. I'm going on the hunt for an HP today so we'll see what happens.

0 Kudos
kasiawaka
1 Nickel

I have exactly the same problem. Laptop N4010, wireless card DW 1501 doesn't see the 5GHz network. It connects no problem to 2.4GHz.

I'm using Netgear WNDR3700 router.

Spend a few hours with different tech people, customer care and "in the limbo". Tech doesn't even know what I was talking about or when did understand, could not help. I asked for a new wireless card, different model to be shipped - they said they don't have any other wireless cards (!) The only option is to return the computer or live with it. I could live with it as long as I don't have to pay for it - I asked for a discount and got NO as an answer.

Watch me buy ever again a Dell computer!

BTW, the same issue was raised here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-internet-wireless/f/3324/p/19338428/19735018.aspx

0 Kudos
newtie2
1 Nickel

Good luck!

Buy an HP..my new one works perfect!

0 Kudos