Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 2nd, 2008 19:00

Dell 1390 wireless incompatibility with WPA-PSK (WPA-TPIK)

I have an Inspiron 9400 with a Dell 1390 wireless adapter.  My wireless connection usually works fine but I noticed that I was having trouble getting a wireless connection working at my parents' and in-laws' houses.  I just ignored the problem for a while but I recently decided to figure out what was causing it.  Long story short, any time a router uses WPA-PSK (I think this is also called WPA-TPIK) encryption then my wireless is very, very slow -- unusably slow.  If there is no encryption or any other encryption (WPA2, WPA-EAS, WEP, any enterprise variation) then it works fine -- I tested all these with my own router (which normally is on WPA2).  Also, many other laptops were able to get connected to both my parents and in-laws routers so the problem clearly lies with my laptop.

My computer is out of warranty so without paying $50 I can't get Dell customer service to: 1) confirm if this a known problem 2) let me know if there is an easy fix or 3) that my adapter is bad in a specific way.  I've tried searching these forums but I haven't had much luck turning up an exact duplicate of my problem.  I've updated to the latest drivers for my adapter.

Obviously, I can get people that I know to change to their encryption schemes so I can use their router but that doesn't seem like the right long term solution.  I can also just buy an external $30-50 wireless adapter.  However, I'm hopeful that a solution exists out there.

Thanks for any thoughts.

623 Posts

December 2nd, 2008 19:00

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?s=5764720ebb40759c3aa5a3da44f323d6&showtopic=14644

Confirm you are running the latest Broadcom driver backwards compatible w/Dell Wireless 1510, 1505, 1500, 1390, ect...

2 Posts

December 3rd, 2008 22:00

Thanks for the suggestion.  I had already updated to the latest drivers available at the Dell drivers website.  However, I went ahead and installed the driver at the laptopvideo2go website.  It wasn't clear that it would be compatible with adapter but I trusted your assertion that it would be.  It did in fact work with my adapter although the little radio utility was no longer available via the notification area of the taskbar, and adapter is now identified as a Broadcom 4322 AG 802.11a/b/g/draft-n Wi-Fi adapter (previously it was called a Dell 1390 wireless adapter).  Neither of these changes are big deals.  Unfortunately, the problem persisted even with the new driver.    I may keep the new drivers or roll back to the previous one (the most up-to-date official dell driver).  Again, thanks for the suggestion.

Any other thoughts out there?

1.7K Posts

December 4th, 2008 07:00

I'm not aware of this being a problem, but I've started checking internally so we can make sure.

5 Posts

February 20th, 2009 21:00

The problem still stands as originally reported by jespley- I have a ATG D620 with the same issue.  Updating to the latest driver did not make a difference.  I will be checking for FW/BIOS updates but I have my doubts that the standard 'due diligence' rigamarole will fix what I assume is just another in a prestigious line of reasons to hate BCOM and their prison-industry driver writers.

1.7K Posts

February 23rd, 2009 12:00

GWAKTEK, the engineers are wanting to look at a system having the problem because they are not able to reproduce it with the hardware they have now.  If you are willing to let me either capture it, or replace it, so I can get your system to the engineers for testing please send me a PM (click on my avatar picture and look for the 'Send Private Message' button on the left of the profile page).

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 23rd, 2009 15:00

jespley,

Just a hunch but  try channel 11, mixed mode and broadcast the SSID. WPA-PSK(TKIP)(Personal) is a fairly decent security. I have to run this type for my wireless print server and my wireless adapters to work correctly. I have not had any issues with anything connecting. I have connected 5 laptops, 2 wireless adapters, 3300 wireless print server and an iPod to my network.

Rick

13 Posts

March 8th, 2009 17:00

I am having this exact problem.  My other Dell (1520) hooks up every time  to my Netgear Router configured with WPA-PSK, but my D520 will only hook up if i disable the router's WPA security.  I had this problem earlier with the 1520 and it was solved by a patch file from Dell's website (R162289.exe), but I can't find a patch file for this problem on the D520 with 1390 WLAN Minicard.  The Dell wireless utility says the 1390 adapter hardware is fine, but when testing the network connectivity it fails the "Associate" test.  It's almost certainly something with the D520 software, because, as I said, the router works fine unsecured (and secured with the Dell 1520).  Help greatly appreciated.

Chashood 

1.7K Posts

March 10th, 2009 10:00

chashood, does your router support WPA2-PSK? If it does, see if that will work.  If it does, I would like to get some additional information from you that I can pass to our engineers.

13 Posts

March 10th, 2009 13:00

Larry R-  The router, a Netgear WGR614v4, is about three years old and supports only WPA-PSK, not WPA2.  It works fine with my Dell Inspiron 1520 (Intel 4965 wireless minicard adapter), but not with my Latitude D520 (Dell 1390 wireless minicard).  I have NOT tried the updated Broadcom drivers for the wireless adapter (referenced in the forum printscreen above), but I HAVE updated with the latest drivers on the Dell website for the D520's Dell 1390 adapter, including the latest Dell wireless utility).  I can hook up if I configure my router as Open (no security).  I have not tried configuring the router yet for WEP to see what would happen.  One other thing I have NOT tried yet is a recent firmware update to the router, but I checked the Negear site and the firmware update will not upgrade it to WPA2.

Thanks,  Chashood

1.7K Posts

March 10th, 2009 14:00

Understood.  My guess, based on whats you and others have described, is that WEP would work just fine for you.

5 Posts

March 29th, 2009 17:00

Okay... I need to make a correction.  Somehow I got "1390" in my head, but what I have is the 1397 wireless mini-card.  However, the symptoms are exactly as described above.  Works fine with a router set to "open" or "wep", but not wpa-psk.  Haven't been able to test a wpa2 router yet.

5 Posts

March 29th, 2009 17:00

Has anyone gotten any further with this?  I don't necessarily control every router I want to connect to, so using WEP is not always an option (nor is it necessarily acceptable from a security standpoint).  Are we heading toward the conclusion that the 1390 wireless card does not support WPA-PSK?  If so, how hard is it to replace?

Thanks...

13 Posts

March 30th, 2009 07:00

I have not had any resolution yet either.  I provided some configuration info a couple weeks ago to Larry R at Dell at his request, but haven't heard back.  I may just have to live with no WPA security as a limitation of the 1390 card.  Chashood

5 Posts

March 30th, 2009 15:00

Well, that solution doesn't work all that well for those of us who have to use a wpa-psk network.  I don't control every network I use, so am stuck with whatever protocol is available.

13 Posts

March 30th, 2009 15:00

Well, that solution doesn't work all that well for those of us who have to use a wpa-psk network.  I don't control every network I use, so am stuck with whatever protocol is available.

glittle-   Agreed.  I was hoping my post might prod Dell to go ahead and research a solution, especially since they sent me a PM asking for details so they could come up with one.  The card ought to work with WPA-PSK.   Chashood

No Events found!