Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 11th, 2012 14:00

Dell 1512 - WiFi failure! Help needed urgently!

I have a Dell 1512 - it is just over 2 years old.

It seems to have developed a WiFi fault.  It doesn't see my router and cannot connect.

I can however connect up to the same router using a LAN cable.  My wife's computer seems to be OK and so does my PS3 so I think the fault may be with my computer.  I have run the Dell Diagonostic tool and it doesn't seem to find anything wrong.

Any ideas anyone please?

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

March 11th, 2012 14:00

Can you connect if you disable the anti-virus? Do you have a firewall up?

27 Posts

March 12th, 2012 02:00

I am running McAfee Internet Security.

I am not very au fait with the settings but I went in and switched off the firewall.  This is only a temporary thing because it switches back on automatically later or when you shut down and turn on again.

The little block diagram icon in the corner which gives the connection information was still showing nothing and when I tried to connect manually my router/network name was still not showing.

What do you think?

PS  I am having to use my wife's old dustcart to get on the internet - that's why you can read this! 

130 Posts

March 12th, 2012 11:00

Try downloading winsockfix(google it) for your OS onto a flashdrive or external harddrive and run it.

12 Posts

March 12th, 2012 15:00

I always deal with this kind of issue since im a tech support of netgear routers.

Have you tried to check if your laptop can see other wifi networks from your neighbors? If yes and you can see other wireless networks on your computer, have you checked if the router's MAC filtering is disable?  And if you cannot see other wireless networks on your laptop, please check if the wireless switch on your computer if its on or off. Please also check if the wireless network connection on your computer is enable.

4.4K Posts

March 13th, 2012 05:00

Hi Barneyboy48,

Welcome to the Community.

Have you checked  in device manager if your wireless card is getting detected?

To check access Device Manager and check under network adapters if the wireless card is listed.

Further please post your correct system model (Example Inspiron 1520 or 1525 )and also the  operating system.

Thank You,

Roshan

27 Posts

March 13th, 2012 10:00

I have paniced and taken in into my local computer shop.

Evidently I had switched of the wireless facility by inadvertantly pressing the F2 key.

I feel a bit of a pillock actually!

I am sure I tried pressing that key to attempt to see if it was that was the cause.

Fortunately my repairer saw the funny side and spared me any charges.

You learn something new every day!

1 Message

June 3rd, 2012 13:00

OS Win7. I got the wifi on my computer working by going into the bios and

reloading the default values for NETWORKING, saving the setting,

then allowing windows to repair itself in the bootup process.

No Events found!