Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 11th, 2010 12:00

Dell 1515 a/g/n/ Wireless card woes

I have a Dell 1515 agn wireless card in my brand new Studio 14z.  I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, and I'm having a heck of a time with the card.  My laptop needs to sign onto a wireless N network with WPA2 Enterprise security.  When I add the network from the Network & Sharing Center --> Manage Wireless Networks, I add everything as I am supposed to.  I've confirmed all the settings (SSID (not being broadcasted), encryption type, certificate), but I never get the pop up for my user name and password.  I've disabled remember user name, disabled use local account, everything that I should.

Also, even though my SSID isn't being broadcast, my card will see an unknown network, which appears to be mine (802.11N, WPA2-Enterprise).  I connect to it, and Windows does ask me for my user name and password, but then it won't connect to it.  This is all extremely frustrating, and everything I've read suggested that the drivers for this card are problematic at best.

Has anyone come across a solution for this?

3 Posts

February 15th, 2010 12:00

Anyone?  I tried to chat with Dell's tech support online and they did everything they could to dodge the issue.

3 Posts

March 17th, 2010 00:00

I'm having the exact same problems. I also have a Studio 14z laptop with the Dell 1515 wireless card. It was working on and off. After much talk, a technician came out to check it. He found that one of the wires was not connected. It was just laying there on top. He hooked the wire in, and it started working well with my home WIFI. I thought my problems were over. Then, I started going on trips. There are a few WIFI systems that it will connect to - but many more that it has problems with. For those, I have to be right next to the router and can't move away, or it disconnects. Even when I'm right next to the routers, the performance is very erratic.  It's maddening, because friends with little netbooks are having no problems with the same routers. Nor  is my cell phone having problems connecting. Therefore, I know that the routers are working. It seems to me that this particular card has some real compatibility issues. Now, I've got to get back to Dell about the fact that the wireless function on this computer is still not working right.. I hope that they have another card to replace mine with. Maybe there is another brand that will work better. I never had these problems with my Toshiba laptop. It worked perfectly with some of the same routers that are causing problems now.

No Events found!