7- Thorium

Re: Dell 1704 wireless card

Jump to solution

CHOMRICH,

Things to try...

Try changing from WPA2-AES to WPA2-PSK(TKIP) Security(Personal)

Try channel 11

Try turning off the firewall in the wireless router.

Some adapters do not like WPS and may need to be turned off.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
CHOMRICH
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Tried all the above with no further improvement. Sure wish I knew optimal settings for all the advanced settings, but I can't find this 1704 manual either. Looks like I wait for a new driver, or talk to Dell about a swap for an Intel card. Appreciate your advice Rick, The silence of Dell tech support troubles me, like they have no answer either.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Martin_1234
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have same issue with the 1704 on a 3360.  We have 2 other 3360's that use the 1703 wifi adapter, so presume the 1704 must a recent upgrade. Like you, will wait for updated driver to see if resolves issue.

0 Kudos
nexty2
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have the 1704 wireless card on my Inspiron 15R 5520. It works fine when I am beside the router. When I go more than 10metres from the router it continually drops out. It's not a distance problem as my 5year old Dell 1501 works flawlessly in the same location! I have tried everything suggested by the Dell community but to no avail. Please Dell sort this problem out.

0 Kudos
glfeisser
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have a very similar problem with my Inspiron 15R 5520,  it works fine when I am beside the router. When I go more than 5 metres from the router it continually drops out.

I don't wist to have to sit beside the router for the lifetime of this laptop

When I purchased my laptop 2 weeks ago, I asked the about the dell wireless card and they said there was no difference between this and the intel card. Obviously there is!

I tried all the steps listed by RockSt☆r-Rick K in his first comment and there is no obvious improvement!

What difference should changing the Antenna Diversity from Auto to Aux make?

Am I entitled to a swap for an Intel card?

thanks.

Gabe

0 Kudos
Martin_1234
1 Copper

Jump to solution

We use a few these laptops for work, and tried different routers etc, with no luck.

I noticed on our most recent orders for these laptops Dell have switched back to the 1703 wifi card on the build list.

From the lack of updates of software drivers from Broadcom, we can only assume the 1704 has a design issue.

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Jump to solution

Gabe,

Changing the Antenna diversity from Auto to Aux, xhanges the antenna lead and for some strange reason, gives better reception.

Did you try using these Recommended Wireless Router Settings and tweaking the settings from there?

Some virus programs and firewalls also try blocking communications

You can also try...

Go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag number, then select your operating system. Under Network, download and install the latest drivers.

Try these tweaks....

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Go to the power options, and changed the Wireless Adapter Setting, from Maximum Power Setting to Maximum Performance.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
harmandeep
1 Copper

Jump to solution

after testing with all various Advanced Parameters of 1704 wireless --- i tried to fetch the BASE OEM Driver Package - i.e. Broadcom 43142 --- below is Link to download the same - and after installing - all bandwidth and low range related issues are resolved (in the Default installed state  - so we neither need to alter any Advanced Parameters of Driver Module nor Disable Bluetooth integration on this STA)

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS033286

Lastly - I must appreciate the PATHETIC JOB that Dell Driver Developers do while simply modifying an OEM Driver Package SDK  --- Kudos to  LOL DELL Drivers.

Regards

0 Kudos
harmandeep
1 Copper

Jump to solution

i tried to fetch the BASE OEM Driver Package - i.e. Broadcom 43142 --- below is Link to download the same - and after installing - all bandwidth and low range related issues still persist.

If you want to try those --- below is link

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS033286

Regards

0 Kudos
glfeisser
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Harmandeep, did this work for you or not?

why are you downloading a driver from Lenovo?

RockSt☆r-Rick K: which network driver in particular should I download, there are multiple ones listed and they all appear to be related to bluetooth. They are dated from the first half of 2012. I bought my laptop in late November this year so I would expect the latest and greatest to be installed already....

0 Kudos