Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

December 11th, 2005 22:00

Dell 2350 broadband router and P2P

it happens that if i keep Emule and Bitcomet open the router freezes up (i mean i think that the problem may be caused by p2p programs). My laptop gets disconnected from the wireless network and it's not able to see it unless i unplug the router and plug it back in. this kind of problems didn't occur when i was using the 2350 as an AP connected to another router. Now the 2350 connects to a bridge and UPnP is enabled. it seems that the router goes crazy handling too many connections.
how can i keep using filesharing and having my router working properly?
thank you

97 Posts

December 15th, 2005 21:00

I have the exact same problem.  I only use Bitcomet and my router just locks up after a while.

If I remove the router and directly plug in my cable modem, all is well...so there is nothing wrong with my internet connection.

Let me know if you find out anything.

December 16th, 2005 08:00

actually i dont have a clue. i think that a firmware update may solve the problem but there is no update around yet

97 Posts

December 16th, 2005 13:00

Indeed. 
I forgot to mention that I also have this problem when using Kazaa (K-lite).
Personally, I think it's the uploading that the router seems to have trouble with.  I seems to bomb only then - but I'm really not sure.  All I know is that a direct modem to PC connection works fine...the router is definitely the issue. 

I wonder if there is something that could be done using port forwarding for the specific application used. ie: Bitcomet.

December 16th, 2005 14:00

i think that in router mode the 2350 is not able to handle too many connections at the same time and that definitely onvolves P2P. since it doesn't happen in AP mode it makes me think that it's a softare failure that a firmware update may solve. i have two 2350 and they all have the same problem. you may try to set your router in AP mode and see if it works out properly.

97 Posts

December 16th, 2005 15:00

I'm a little green here.

How do I set it up as a AP other than the setting in the firmware.

Other than that, what must I do to the physical connection and in Windows.

I have two PC's.  One is hardwired, and one laptop which uses wireless G.  Will they still both be able to use the internet at the same time?

December 16th, 2005 15:00

to set up the router as AP you have to access the 2350 through a browser at this address 192.168.2.1. when the page opens up you click router mode. this link will take to a new page where you can choose between gateway mode or access point. you select AP mode and go all the way through the procedure. Remind that the ethernet cable that connects your DSL/Cable modem to the 2350 must to be moved from the port named "internet" to one of the four LAN ports.
The, when you are done open command line: click start-run, type "cmd" a blck window opens up. type the following commands:
ipconfig /release
and after all the IPs are released type
ipconfig /renew
It shoudl work like that and yoo should be able to surf the net from both pc's. if something goes wrong you can always reset the modem to factory conditions pressing the reset button on the back of the router. 
No Events found!