Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2009 13:00

Dell 5530 WWAN card periodically dropping connection and causing Dell ControlPoint to not respond

Hello. My issue is with a new 1537 Studio with an internal 5530 WWAN card. I am running Windows Vista Home Premium, with all latest updates installed. I have WLAN and Bluetooth minicards installed as well, but this issue only relates to the WWAN card (as far as I am aware).

The Issue

- Periodically (it has been as little as 5 minutes and as long as 4-5 hours after connecting), Windows recognises the WWAN connection as having "limited or no connectivity"

- Even after this happens, Dell ControlPoint shows the status as being "Connected". The "Disconnect" button is enabled, but clicking it does nothing: it's as if the click event is ignored completely.

- Disabling the WWAN card through ControlPoint is not possible either, the check box, after "unticking", becomes ticked again.

- I can disable the network adapter through Windows->Network and Sharing Centre->Manage Network Connections, but ControlPoint's status still doesn't change and I still can't access the Internet

- The only way I have found to get ControlPoint/the minicard into a state in which I can reconnect to the Internet is by either restarting the system or putting it into hibernation, then bringing it out. After doing either of these things, ControlPoint will correctly register that there is no connection and will proceed to connect. I will have Internet access until the problem repeats itself.

What Dell Have Done So Far

- I have spent a long time talking to Dell technical support.

- After initial troubleshooting, Dell got me to completely reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows, along with all the bundled software as it was when I received the laptop. This did not fix the problem.

- They then proceeded to replace my WWAN minicard. This did not fix the problem.

I suspect this is either a very rare hardware defect (eg faulty capacitors on the motherboard) or a software bug that has yet to be addressed. The last technical guy I spoke to seemed to think it might be latter, though I am as yet undecided. What I am sure of is that it is a highly disruptive and irritating problem, and no-one has offered any real insight into it. It's almost as if it's unprecedented, which makes me think it might be a one-off defect.

In any case, I would really appreciate any suggestions. Particularly, if someone has any idea how to use something other than ControlPoint to connect using my WWAN card, I would be willing to try it as it does seem that Dell's connectivity software is pretty atrocious.

If anyone would like any more information, please ask.

Thanks in advance,
      James.

2 Posts

April 1st, 2009 08:00

Had exactly the same problem with my Studio 15.  

Solution:  Uninstalled Control Point and replaced it with Dell Wirelless Manager  Version 5.2.1045.43 - it works with my ATT WWAN flawlessly.  I got the ftp link to doanload it off of a forum but could not locate it for you.  You might call dell and ask them where to find it. 

If you don't have any luck I can try to email you the install file.

2 Posts

August 3rd, 2009 09:00

You have described my problem exactly!  Has there been a Dell supported fix to this yet?  or if not, does anyone have anymore details on how they were able to resolve this problem?  Did the suggestion above fix it for you?

5 Posts

August 3rd, 2009 10:00

Nothing has resolved this issue as of yet. I have given up. Dell eventually offered to refund the cost of the WWAN card, which suggests this is a pretty major problem - I'd advise calling them and trying to get your money back (even return the laptop if it's a critical issue).

I have abandoned trying to use the internal WWAN modem and now rely on a USB stick from my network. Very disappointed in Dell.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

James.

2 Posts

August 3rd, 2009 11:00

I got rid of ControlPoint and installed Sony Ericsson Wireless Manager 5 and have had no more problems.  Works every time.

Just Google "Sony Ericsson Wireless Manager 5" and you will find the download.  Last time I posted the link Dell deleted it and warned me about violating their terms on this site.  Hopefully this post doesn't violate the terms and they were referring to posting a link.

1 Message

August 5th, 2009 11:00

DCP\UCM Notes :

DCP retains exclusive control of the modem ports.  You can either hibernate, standby, restart,shutdown, or  you can follow the below steps.   **To tell DCP to stop managing the module follow the below steps  

Open DCP\UCM
      Highlight "Connection Manager"
      Click "Connections"   
      Highlight "Profiles"     
      Choose "Change Settings"
      Choose "Program Settings"
      Unselect "Mobile Broadband"
      Unselect "GPS"  
      Click OK
      Click OK
      Close Connection Manager Window
      Close DCP Window.
      You may now choose to install and load the Ericsson Wireless Manager to manage the WWAN module while retaining all of the other functions and features provided by DCP\UCM.  Note that DCP\UCM is considered a business\enterprise application and Ericsson Wireless Manager, AT&T Connection Manager are considered consumer applications.  Features and function may differ between the products.
      Do the reverse to restore the wwan features and module to DCP\UCM control :
      Open DCP\UCM
      Highlight "Connection Manager"
      Click "Connections"   
      Highlight "Profiles"     
      Choose "Change Settings"
      Choose "Program Settings"
      Select "Mobile Broadband"
      Select "GPS"  
      Click OK
      Click OK
      Close Connection Manager Window
      Close DCP Window.
      Both of the above steps, assume that SMManager.exe is functioning, otherwise, you may need to end task on SMManager.exe and restart it  (the location of smmanager.exe depends on the OS - search for the application in windows to restart the service).
      Note that if you have the Ericsson Wireless Manager installed and you restore DCP\UCM control to the mobile broadband module, then the Ericsson Wireless Manager will not be able to see the hardware due to DCP\UCM retaining complete control of the modem and network ports.  The Ericsson Wireless Manager will message that it cannot find the hardware.
      If the Mobile Broadband Module disappears in device manager please follow the above instructions to release control of the mobile broadband module (and all other com port applications such as hyperterminal and similar applications).  The module should re-enumerate into device manager.  You may restore the mobile broadband control in DCP by following the instructions above.  If this does not restore functionality, restart the laptop.
      No Events found!