Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2009 21:00

Dell 964 printer and 3300 printer adapter

Can you tell me how to istall the 3300 printer adapter to my dell Photo 964 printer?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 24th, 2009 21:00

Sancho Pansa,

These instructions are a little lenghty. Please follow the instructions in the order that I have them and you should be able to setup everything to work. I do have a 964 printer connected to a Dell Wireless Printer Adapter 3300 <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell> and have it working for 5 laptops.

Let's make sure your computer has the latest Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications and the latest Java.

Fix your wireless router first.

Update the firmware in your wireless router. Manufacturer's website, make & Model needed.

Broadcast SSID(You may want to change this to make it easier to connect)

Use WPA-PSK(TKIP) Security(WPA Personal). Most wireless devices work best with this type of security.

Mixed b and g mode(n if available)

Use channels 1 or 11. Most devices work better on these channels. (I use channel 11)

Save and exit. Power everything off for 30 seconds. Power everything back on, wait 30 seconds, now try to connect.

After router is done, now setup your wireless print server/printer.

3300 Utility

3300 Firmware

Attach the 3300 to your computer using the USB Cable and insert the 3300 disk. Follow the instructions. It should ask you for the network ID, type of security and password.

Now for the printer. Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch, a MUST on Vista machines, until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Download the proper drivers.

XP Drivers

Vista 32-bit Drivers

Vista 64-bit Drivers

All other drivers

Install the drivers, choose network, choose I'm using a wireless print server(if you do not see this, then choose add printer and you should see it then) and follow the instructions.

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer

Let me know what happens.

Rick

11 Posts

January 18th, 2010 09:00

Hi Rick - first, thx for sharing all the wisdom, interesting to read and gives me hope.  I'm struggling with my setup.  Had xp and (w/help) had someone load Windows 7 alongside.  Am in first day of trying to bring my system back to usability.  2 comps - notebook and laptop; wifi w/linksys g router; 3300 adapter and 964 printer - and DEAD in the water on printing side.  Don't know what's next... computer doesn't seem to see adapter/printer.  While I was adequate with xp, I am on low side of learning curve with 7.  As os load is brand new, didn't want to poke around too much and dirty things up. I ran the cleanup patch you suggested but that didn't do it... am thinking i'll start again with step by step instructions listed above but router adjustments scare me because not only do two comps use the wireless but also wife's work computer.  If i make these changes on the router do i have to make changes to each computer (I'm guessing not). and you didn't specify an os above that I saw ... these steps work w/7?  Thx for any help.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 18th, 2010 10:00

Mista Mok,

What you really need to do first is to change the settings in your wireless router.

How to login to your wireless router and use these Recommended Wireless Router Settings, I use channel 11. Password at least 12 characters.

After the router is configured, then you need to attach the 3300 to your computer using the USB Cable and insert the 3300 disk. Follow the instructions. It should ask you for the network ID, type of security and password. The it will ask you to connect the 3300 to the 964 printer.

The download the drivers from the above post. On each computer, ONLY install the drivers for that operating system, choose network, choose I'm using a wireless print server(if you do not see this, then choose add printer and you should see it then) and follow the instructions.

For the Windows 7 machine, download the Vista drivers and install them in the compatibility mode.

Right click on the drivers, left click properties, compatibility. Select Vista SP2, click apply, ok. Right click on the drivers, left click run as administrator. Drivers will unzip and sit there.

Look for setup.exe, Right click on the drivers, left click properties, compatibility. Select Vista SP2, click apply, ok. Right click on the drivers, left click run as administrator.

Let me know what issues you have. I have a 3300 attached to a Dell 964 printer and have gotten it to work with XP, Vista 32-bit and 64-bit and Windows 7 64-bit with no problems. The only issue we had on the forums was with a Belkin Wireless N router not connecting to the 3300.

If you could post the model of your Linksys, that would help if you have any problems with anything.

Rick

11 Posts

January 19th, 2010 03:00

Rick-

Thx. I've gleaned some of the steps from reading posts but as that hasn't worked I'm now going step by step with your suggestions.  

Info:

Router: Linksys G WRT54G 5.

Computers: Dell Inspiron E1705 & Latitude D430, each with newly installed Windows 7 32 parallel (right word?) alongside XP (until I'm sure I no longer need XP)

Printer: Dell 964 AIO w/3300 wireless adapter.

1. Router config - had an "interesting" experience configuring this as when I made changes, 7 would kick me off of the wireless network due to incompatibiiity between network and how it was listed in 7.  Finally figured that out after an afternoon's worth of sweating.  Have been running WEP security for years and with 7 install realized WPA2 was far better.  However can't yet change as wife's work computer won't link on upgraded security. Might that make a difference in problems below? 

2. 3300 set-up - can't get the router to see the adapter yet.  I've plugged the adapter into the computer and run the utility but when it checks the wireless the adapter isn't recognized.  Stuck here.  Will try to make progress today... any assistance appreciated.  (I also wonder if I will encounter further problems with this when I change security.)

3. I will run the patch to eliminate other drivers and try to install the vista 2 version in compatibility mode per your directions, but obviously, must wait until i get the computer seeing the adapter... i couldn't figure out how to manually plug int he address for the adapter.

Thoughts/suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 19th, 2010 09:00

Mista Mok,

The 3300 does NOT support WPA2, so you'll need to drop the security level to WPA-PSK(TKIP) Sceurity (Personal)

I usually recommend changing the SSID name to make connecting easier.

Use mixed mode for best communications.

Use channel 11.

Password at least 12 characters long.

Save and exit. Power off the ISP Modem/router and also power off your Linksys router. Wait 30 seconds. Turn on the ISP Modem router first. Wait 30 seconds, then turn on your Linksys router.

Restart your computer and try to connect.

After you connect, then insert the 3300 disk and follow the instructions. It should ask you for SSID, type of security and password.

After you have the 3300 setup and connected to the printer, then on each computer, install the drivers for that system. The patch should be run on the Vista and Windows 7 computers if the were connected to the printer in some way. Please be aware that the patch, which is supposed to be a printer cleanup utility, removes more that the printer. It also removes Dell Dock, Dell QuickSet, The 3300 wireless setup utility just to name a few. Drivers can be reinstalled by going to Drivers & Downloads entering your service tag number and downloading the drivers in your browser, again.

Remember to install the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode for the Windows 7 computer.

Install the drivers, choose network, choose I'm using a wireless print server(if you do not see this, then choose add printer and you should see it then) and follow the instructions.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Rick

11 Posts

January 19th, 2010 17:00

Great to know that 3300 doesn't support WPA2 - you saved me a bunch of time right there - thanks!

I couldn't connect to the 3300 running 3300 Utility and realized I ran patch before trying to connect - did I wipe something out that i needed?

So I went to Dell to replace the drivers and it doesn't give me windows 7 x32 as an os version option for the drivers - is vista 32 okay?  And any help on which drivers i really need - there are 71 or something listed.

Then i will again attempt to connect to the 3300

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 19th, 2010 18:00

Mista Mok,

Questions are...

Did you fix your network?

Did the 3300 connect to your network?

Then, yes download the Vista drivers and install them in the compatibility mode. Try the 32-bit drivers first and see if it works.

Link to drivers, in case I forgot to give this to you. Was trying to make everything simple.

964 Photo All-In-One Printer owners thread (W7)

Let me know what happens.

Rick

11 Posts

January 19th, 2010 20:00

Rick -

Well, making progress...

Network fixed. 

With Inspiron 1705, connected with 3300 via cable; connected to 3300 via wireless; loaded drivers (Vista 32) and designated it as network; connected to 964; printed fine.  Still need to check the scan function as there are multiple user accounts and while the printer seems to scan fine and send it along - I don't see where it's going on the computer - which user acct /which location?

With Latitude D430; loaded drivers as above and designated it the same way - network; connected to 964 but couldn't print.  Got message that I should enable bidirectional printing on printer properties.  I went to 964/printer/properties/port and checked the box but upon closing and then opening the window it doesn't "stick".  Hmmmm...

Scanning to Latitude worked fine but I'll need to find why the button won't stay checked.  I wonder if it's how I loaded it - the same as first time - as a network printer.  Any thoughts?

After these are secured, I will attempt to allow wife's work computer to use printer, too.  It only gets on network to access web and no admin priveliges so I'm curious how that will work... but NO 1 PRIORITY IS TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO GET BIDIRECTIONAL COMMUNICATION WITH 964 ON SECOND COMPUTER.

Of course, your thoughts are most appreciated.  Thanks for clearing the path to this point!

Mark

11 Posts

January 19th, 2010 20:00

Additional question: I didn't need to run the 3300 utility on the second computer did I?  Once 3300 was set up through first computer, I just loaded drivers onto second computer.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 20th, 2010 01:00

Mark,

After the network was setup, you only had to run the setup of the 3300 on one computer.

On the other computers, I installed the downloaded drivers and Installed them, choose network choose I'm using a wireless print server(if you do not see this, then choose add printer and you should see it then) and follow the instructions. Do this for each computer. On the Windows 7 computers, remember to install the Vista drivers in the compatibility mode. If you have trouble with the Windows 32-bit system, try using the Vista 64-bit drivers in the compatibility mode and see if they work.

Keep me posted. Will check back after my doctor appointment.

Rick

Enable Bidirectional Support/Enable Biodirectional Support should stick.

11 Posts

January 20th, 2010 09:00

Rick - first of all and most importantly, I hope your appt went well.

I was about to post that things weren't going any better when out of desperation or inspiration, I tried something I wasn't sure about.  At the stage below I was pretty sure I was correct here...

which brought me to this screen - that was the printer I was looking for so I clicked next and wrapped up the installation, which didn't work (per my earlier post).  After rereading your directions, I realized I was never presented with a checkbox for "connected to a wireless adapter" that you mention.  So I reinstalled, looking for something I failed to click... after the third of fourth time (time flies when ur havin fun :() I tried clicking Manual Add to see what I could see.

At which point I was confronted with the choice below - "maybe that's what he was talking about."  I clicked as shown at which point a box came up (sorry - didn't capture it and I'm not risking the install by backtracking!) that had two radio buttons on top and address boxes below (IP or Mac or ???).  I think the two buttons were something like DHCP or manual.  I clicked DHCP (you'd mentioned that in an earlier post about the router) and the machine started buzzing away, doing something.  I was glad to see it came back, I closed it up and finished the installation.

Of course, you can guess the rest of the story - I traveled the well worn path of the test page button and low and behold, was surprised by the sound of the paper freeing itself from the hold of the gremlins that have bothered my system for the last year plus, while we've been toiling under xp.

So, in summary, I thought it might be helpful to other folks to hear about these specific steps necessary in the install process.  This was installation of the 964 on a second computer, the 964 having already been set up through the primary computer.  Once again, succinctly -

1. proceed with installation of drivers, straightforward until...
  2. install to network/Next. Once list of printers comes up...
  3. Manual Add (even if you see the printer you want listed)
  4. click "connected directly to a network or a wireless printer adapter"/Next
  5. choose DHCP radio button/Next

I think all is in shape for printing/scanning but of course, should that not be the case I'll be right back here - requesting help.  Thanks again for the generous sharing of your wisdom!  Any comments/perspective from you - love to hear it.

Blessings,

Mista Mok

(Mark)

11 Posts

January 20th, 2010 10:00

Be happy to if I could figure out what that means..."Mark the verify answer and yes mark the thread that has the pictures. This way if anyone else searches the forums, they can see what you did to get the printer working."

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 20th, 2010 10:00

Mark,

That was GREAT!:emotion-21: That's what you needed to do.

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Mark the verify answer and yes mark the thread that has the pictures. This way if anyone else searches the forums, they can see what you did to get the printer working.

I also did this to my wireless card so my computer does not lose communications.

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager). Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 20th, 2010 11:00

Mark,

Sorry, only the person that started the thread can do this. You started in the middle of someone elses thread and only they can mark it. If you started the thread, then you would be able to do this.

Rick

11 Posts

March 10th, 2010 04:00

Hi again Rick - you helped me out in Jan with getting my paperweight to print and scan again.  Wondering if you can help with my latest challenge.  My printing capabilities are still there but I've lost my scanning capabilities to both computers. 

I just had the 430 crash and was hoping that installing new software, including drivers for 964 might seduce it to scanning but no go.  Like I said, the printing works, so obviously the computer sees the printer.  And the printer seemed to have "seen" the computer as when I go through the steps to scan the printer screen says "scan to" and included file types per the programs that existed on the computer, but then when I hit the green go button - nothing happens.  And on subsequent tries that screen doesn't show the full range of file types available on that computer.  It makes me think the window is shutting down between them - but I'm confused that it does still work the other direction.  Any thoughts oh-wise-one?

System:

Router: Linksys G WRT54G 5.

Computers: Windows 7 on both Dell Inspiron E1705 & Latitude D430.

Printer: Dell 964 AIO w/3300 wireless adapter.

No Events found!