Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 4th, 2013 17:00

Dell Inspiron 14z Wi-Fi connectivity issues

I have a brand new Dell Ispiron 14z Ultrabook.  I keep having problems with Wi-Fi connectivity.  I can use the Ethernet connection fine, but when I try to connect to Wi-Fi I keep getting no access or limited connectivity.  I have other devices and laptops that work fine on the same Wi-Fi networks.

Please help.  I am hoping I do not have to send this laptop back but if Wi-Fi does not work it kind of defeats the purpose.

thanks

Dave

2 Posts

September 16th, 2014 15:00

I purchased the Inspiron 14 5000 series laptop from costco a week ago. I am experiencing major wifi adapter issues, which if you look at the following thread on the community support forums, appears to be a design flaw with the location of the wifi radio in this (and a few other Inspiron) models. 

See: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-internet-wireless/f/3324/t/19589278

This is a showstopper for me and I'm going to return the laptop to Costco ASAP. I'm looking at a similar replacement machine (non-Dell) and have found a decent deal at Best Buy for a Toshiba Satellite 14" touchscreen with similar specs as the Dell. 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-satellite-14-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-6gb-memory-750gb-hard-drive-satin-gold/6128128.p?id=1219191185727&skuId=6128128&st=i5&cp=1&lp=3

I hope this helps others who are considering this laptop or who have purchased this laptop to understand the issues with the Intel Dual Wireless 3160 adapter. This issue is not an isolated incident - just do a google search for "dell inspiron 14 5000 wifi issues" and there are many stories from customers with similar problems.

Shame on you Dell for putting out such a sub-par piece of hardware. I'm not impressed. 

1.8K Posts

March 4th, 2013 17:00

Hi Dave,

You may try the following steps to see if that works: 

1. Try 'Safe Mode with Networking': Please try to start the laptop in the diagnostic mode to see if we get the internet access. A corrupt firewall setting or any other third party software application may be blocking the 'Internet access'. Please follow these steps:

- Power off the laptop
- Power it back on and repeatedly tap (If Windows logo appears, please restart your laptop and repeat the steps)
- Use arrow keys on the keyboard to highlight 'Safe Mode with Networking' option (Mouse is not functional on this screen)
- Tap
- Desktop screen appears (Icons may look bigger as laptop functions only with the basic drivers)
- Check the wireless internet access and share the findings. 

2. Try to disable the firewall of anti-virus that is installed in the computer and check the result. This laptop is generally shipped with mcafee anti-virus. If Mcafee is installed on your laptop, please follow the steps listed below to disable the mcafee firewall temporarily:

- Locate the 'McAfee' icon on the taskbar. This is located in the lower right-hand side of your screen next to the clock
- Right click 'Mcafee' icon and go to 'Settings' 
- Click 'Firewall' (Following screen appears)

- Click 'Settings'
- Turn off the 'Mcafee firewall' (Select 15 minutes)
- Click 'Done'
- Re-check the 'internet access'
- If 'Internet works, repeat the same steps to launch Mcafee firewall' interface
- Click 'Turn On' (following screen appears)

- Click 'Restore Defaults' and re-check the Internet access

3. If 'Internet' does not work on disabling Mcafee firewall, you may try removing the 'wireless profile'. This issue also occurs when the profile goes corrupt. Please follow the steps listed below:

- Open the Network and Sharing Center. There, on the left side column, click on "Manage wireless networks" (Following screen appears)

- In the 'Manage Wireless Networks' window, you can see the profiles of all the wireless networks which were connected in the past.
- Select the network with which you are facing trouble, and click 'Remove'

- Confirm that you want to remove the network profile. The profile of the wireless network is now deleted. Windows will detect that network as if it was a new discovery and you will be able to enter all the details again and connect to it. 

Please share the findings. 

6 Posts

March 5th, 2013 17:00

I booted in safe mode but I still have the same issue.  I also turned off McAfee but still the same issue,  When I go into control panel - Network and Sharing Center I do not have a manage wireless networks options so I could not delete the profile from there.  I did however remove the profile under settings and network.  This allowed me to connect once, but now it will not connect again, even when I forget the network and attempt to re-attach.

1.8K Posts

March 5th, 2013 23:00

Hi Dave,

Did you try using your computer in 'Safe Mode' or 'Safe Mode with Networking'? If you tried 'Safe Mode', try using 'Safe Mode with Networking'

Please check the following and share the relevant details:

• Is the computer connected to a 'Router or a modem'? Mention the make/model related details of the modem & the router in use. 
  • Is it a cable modem or a DSL? 
  • Open 'Command prompt' (Start > Type 'cmd' in search text-box > Tap 'Enter') > Type 'ipconfig /all' (Without quotations) and tap 'Enter' 
  • Capture and share the details 

You may disable the antivirus firewall and then may try to reset TCP/IP, proxy and DNS:

• Click the 'Start icon', click 'All programs', and click 'Accessories' 
  • Right-click 'Command Prompt', and click 'Run as administrator'; provide confirmation if prompted 
  • Please enter the following commands, and tap enter after typing each command: 

1. NETSH INT IP RESET 
    2. NETSH WINHTTP RESET PROXY
    3. IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS

If the issue persists, remove the Ethernet cord connected to computer. Open 'Command prompt' (Start > Type 'cmd' in search text-box > Right click and run as administrator). 

• Ping the local host to confirm that the 'local TCP/IP stack' is functioning correctly; type ping 127.0.0.1 and tap 'Enter' (share if the ping is successful) 
  • Ping the 'Default Gateway' to verify if the 'IP packets' can reach your 'network’s default gateway'; type ping  and the value of default gateway you found from 'ipconfig/all'
  • Ping the 'DNS Server' to check if the host can communicate with your 'DNS server'; type ping and the value of DNS server you found from 'ipconfig/all' (Check results) 
  • Ping the 'website'; type ping www.google.com 

Please share the findings. 

1 Message

September 16th, 2014 14:00

Inspirion 14z n411z 

it can detect and connect the wireless, but the quality of wireless signal is very unstable, fluctuating between 1Mbps 5.5 Mbps 11 Mbps, 34 Mbps, etc. for comparison, none of my other laptops have this problem in the same position, same room. 

tried: re-install windows 7, install new USB wireless adapter, etc. nothing works well! believe this is a design failure, dell plz face it!

also tried safe-mode, it works slightly better, but not satisfactory.

1 Message

October 10th, 2015 01:00

I have Inspiron 5000 , and YES!, dell used a very cheap wireless adapter because my old Dells are working just fine when I'm using them in the same spot.

Try this it might help, go to device manager -> locate inter dual band wireless-AC 3160 -> right click, properties -> advanced -> select HT mode and change it to disabled mode.

please let me know if it will make any difference.

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 16th, 2019 16:00

your only solution is to get a new laptop thats sad dell fix your this is why apple will always be better

1 Message

April 30th, 2020 18:00

Geek Squad connected to my computer, updated the wireless adapter in the laptop, and resolved the issue. Wi-Fi is working great now.

I hope this helps, Godspeed.

1 Message

May 5th, 2020 02:00

I got Geek Squad too, the connection is awful during the quarantine, couldn't even load none of the website  . Just tried updating the adapter, everything seems fine, now I can get my work done.
Thanks!

No Events found!