Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 6th, 2012 16:00

Dell Inspiron 15r Special Edition Wireless connectivity drops when lid closed

Quick Specs:
- Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium

- Wireless Card: Intel Centrino Wireless N 2230

Issue:

Whenever I close my lid, my wireless connectivity drops by around 80+%. When using speedtest.net, I normarlly download at 5 megabits/s and upload at 1, but with my lid closed, I download at less then 0.4 and upload surprisingly at 0.8. My downloads and torrents basically grind to a halt, multiplayer gaming becomes difficult and websites/youtube/videos take much longer to load. I can check all these figures as I'm using an external monitor.

I have tried a lot of things to improve connectivity including setting everything to high performance, disabling power saving modes, setting roaming to aggressive/high and updating drivers.

Please help me and thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

snYpr69

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

November 7th, 2012 01:00

Hi snypr69,

I’d suggest that you update BIOS, Dell system software, chipset and wireless card driver on your computer to check for issue resolution.

Please follow the link below. When the page comes up please put in the service tag of your computer.Then go ahead and download the drivers, after selecting the operating system installed on your computer, from the link below. Install it in sequence given below the link.

http://dell.to/uIo3ef

1. BIOS
  2. Dell system software (Refer to System utilities section)
  3. Chipset 
  4. Wireless card driver (Refer to Network section)

Please let me know if this helps.

3 Posts

November 8th, 2012 21:00

Hey there,

I've followed your instructions, but it hasn't helped at all. I'm getting a lot of problems with the new drivers as well in general, my WiDi services are now bugging (probably the new network driver), my AMD graphics drivers no longer save high performance or power saving settings for my games (probably from the new driver for HD7730m) and I'm getting audio conflict between Windows Media Player (or other media players) and communication services like Skype and TeamSpeak (music keeps alternating between normal and a dulled playback even when no one is talking, even just when Skype and TeamSpeak are running).

Please help me,

Sincerely,

Faisal

3 Posts

November 8th, 2012 22:00

We have another 15R SE 7520 (without 1920x1080 screen and blu-ray) laptop. I ran speed test on this laptop and received speeds of 6 megabits/s. I should add that absolutely nothing with this laptop has been updated, no updated drivers, no updated bios,  nothing. Could there be a hardware issue with my laptop (which is 1920x1080 with blu-ray)?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

November 9th, 2012 10:00

Hi snypr69,

After the installation of all the drivers in sequence from the above steps please go ahead disable power saving mode, set the roaming to aggressive/high, Change the wireless channels in the ‘advanced card properties’ to 11 or 6 and Disable Bluetooth Collaboration and check for issue resolution.

Also, please update the AMD Radeon HD 7730M and the Dell Intel Wireless Display Connection Manager in the computer and check for issue resolution.

http://dell.to/QcsXFe          &       http://dell.to/Urq1YE

Please let me know if this helps.

1 Message

November 28th, 2012 07:00

Hi,

I bought Dell 15r (5520) having the same issue. When I close the lid, Wifi connection is not accessable. I follow the procedure above, the issue still exists.

Please let me know what I can do.

Leo

4 Posts

December 6th, 2012 08:00

Myself also facing the same issue, its brand new 2 weeks old and this problem is holding my work. Is there a quick solution to it. All the steps mentioned above does not work at all.

Looks like calling sales and getting this resolved is only solution (hopefully) this forum is slow as tortise in posting solution back.

4 Posts

December 19th, 2012 12:00

This was my first Dell laptop and I am terrified with the experience of owning it. Finally I was able to resolve the issue  myself after multiple unsuccessful attempts ( 3 times) aided by  Dell Technical Support team, which was really a substandard experience.
These are the steps I performed in below order:
  1. Under Windows General I clicked on “Reset your PC and Start Over” previously Dell Technician had performed “Refresh” but that didn't worked. What I understand is Refresh is merely repairing Windows OS while “Reset” is restoring to factory settings.
  2. After completion of above step I assigned a new PC name and rather than logging through a MS Live Account I created a local PC account with administrative rights.
  3. Once the system booted I plugged network (LAN) cable and downloaded the latest WiFi drivers directly from Intel website and not from the Dell Support Site.
  4. Installed the drivers, configured the system power management options, WiFi advanced properties for roaming, radio frequency, performance and power management.
  5. Went into McAfee firewall settings and assigned range of IP address from 192.168.1.0 – 255
  6. Removed network cable and shut down the system.
  7. Rebooted the system and logged-in using local PC account.
  8. Restarted the router.
  9. Connected the LAN cable and then connected the WiFi and whoa this got connected. Wanted to make sure it stays connected for long time so I didn't removed the LAN cable for 1 hour and the WiFi was still connected.
  10. Next, I shut down the system, restarted the router, removed the LAN cable and then logged in as local PC account and connected to WiFi this time too it got well connected.
  11. Next I went an added Live Account and rebooted the system.
  12. This time I logged in as Live Account and my WiFi was still connected.
I hope these steps might help Dell Technical Support, not saying this is optimum solution for all WiFi related issues but it may provide some pointers towards troubleshooting.

3 Posts

August 14th, 2013 21:00

I have an Inspiron 17r with the same problem.  I was unequivocally able to prove it to dell phone support by having them take over my computer and run speed tests with the lid open and closed.  They tried replacing the antenna, wireless card, and lid, but nothing helped.  Since then, they have run me around for a long time.  Finally they sent me a new one, and I'm supposed to test it out and then copy all my stuff if it works.

What a <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per terms of use>

No Events found!