Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 8th, 2009 20:00

Dell Inspiron 6000 - Wireless Issues after reload of Windows XP

Hi,

I found a great deal of information on this site -- thank you to all who have contributed.

First, using my service tag, I found the drivers that were included in my original installation.  Then I followed the driver install order for desktops and laptops found under support/downloands/env/driver_install_order.

No luck, so I continued to search and  I found a different order to install on this forum.  I re-installed in that order -- still no luck. 

No luck means there is not an icon to find the wireless service like there used to be (and is on my Inspiron 1520) and when I find the Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility    and click, nothing happens.  With XP, I've always had much better luck using Dell's software to manage my wireless  card, but  Microsoft's tools are not working either.

After I installed in the wrong order, did I need to start over?  I just reloaded in the sequence on this forum rather than over on the support/downloads.

Thanks

val

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

April 8th, 2009 21:00

Make sure you didn't skip the Notebook System Software that's available under System Utilities on the download list. That needs to be installed first with the chipset drivers. That enables the other drivers to install properly, so if you did skip it, you'll need to reinstall the rest of the drivers again. And even though you used your service tag, Dell lists every possible hardware driver for your model, not just those you need. You don't need all of them in the list. Make sure you actually have the hardware for the drivers you installed. Check your Hardware Device Manager for your current configuration.

6 Posts

April 8th, 2009 22:00

wow - that was fast!

I did download the notebook system software and the chipset drivers first -- but I did download all the drivers under my service number.  I will check the Hardware Device Manager and then reload.  I have all the drivers on cd now, so I just have to find the right ones.

thank you

6 Posts

May 16th, 2009 18:00

I must apolgize for not responding to this forum sooner.  I started over --  made a list of all the devices (not relying on the list associated with my service tag) and went to DELL with a different laptop and made a separate cd for each driver and labeled them with the steps.  I formatted the hard drive, re-installed XP and installed the drivers in order and my wireless is working.  In case, all of you who spend their time helping us don't already know it -- you are greatly appreciated.

No Events found!