Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 15th, 2012 08:00

Dell Inspiron e1505 cannot acquire network address.

Hello, I have a dell inspiron e1505 with a dell wireless 1390 wlan mini card and I recently used the installation disc that came with the laptop to install a fresh copy of windows xp on an empty partition. I have installed all the latest drivers, also. The problem is that I can connect to my WiFi network but it is stuck on acquiring network address. I have tried releasing and renewing the ip in command prompt, reset winsock, and have mad sure all the correct services are on automatic and are started. Please help me solve my problem. Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 15th, 2012 12:00

Fr3dThomas,

When you reinstalled the operating system, did you install the Desktop/Notebook system software and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Start with the Desktop/Notebook system software and the chipset drivers and follow the list.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 15th, 2012 13:00

Fr3dThomas,

Start, control panel, device manager, network, double click on Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini Card, advanced. Look for antennat diversity, some have this and some don't if you have it, change the Antenna Diversity from Auto to Aux.

Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Rick

16 Posts

Okay, I changed the antenna diversity to aux and that did not fix the problem. I could not find the power management box you told me to uncheck though. What else should I do?

16 Posts

Thank you for a response. I did install the drivers in that order. Any other suggestions?

16 Posts

July 15th, 2012 14:00

Okay I found the power management on the 440x 10/100 integrated controller and unchecked it. What should I try next?

16 Posts

It does not work on xp. I guess I will try your other suggestion.

16 Posts

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Dayton Hammerle>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : dayton

Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Cont

roller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-C5-BE-1A-C5

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-18-F3-92-70-27

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

C:\Documents and Settings\Dayton Hammerle>

16 Posts

Hi. When I am in the registry editor, and go all the way to "Interfaces", I fail to find "{GUID}",  and I am using no firewall or antivirus.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Fr3dThomas,

Did you click the fixit for me button?

Rick

16 Posts

I am trying to connect wirelessly, by the way, not wired.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Fr3dThomas,

Let's first try reading...

Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers

If that doesn't work, then go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag number, them operating system. Under network, download the drivers for the adapter and save them to your desktop.

Make a system restore point.

Start, control panel, device manager, network, right click on your adapter, left click uninstall. Tell it to remove the drivers and software for the adapter.

Restart your computer. When you log back in to the unrestricted account, the new hardware wizard will try to install the network adapter. Check in the device manager and sii if it is installed properly. If not, then install the drivers that you saved to the desktop.

Try to connect.  What happens?

What virus program and firewall are you using/

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

July 15th, 2012 15:00

Fr3dThomas,

XP!!!

Try running WinSock XP Fix

Rick

16 Posts

And the second suggestion did not work. What should I do?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Fr3dThomas,

Did you ever setup your wireless router?

• Power off your ISP modem/router and your wireless router(if any) for 30 seconds. Then power on the ISP modem/router. Wait 15 seconds, then power on the wireless router(if any)

Restart the computer and try to connect.

What happens?

WHAT VIRUS PROGRAM AND FIREWALL ARE YOU USING?

Rick

16 Posts

I am not using any virus program or firewall, and I have already tried unplugging the router for 10 seconds. Would it be different if I unplugged it for 30 seconds?

No Events found!