Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

December 13th, 2010 08:00

Dell Latitude D630 - Wireless Network Connection missing

I have a Dell Latitude D630 laptop and we re-installed a new version of Windows XP on top of an old XP version.  When the install was finished, I went into Network Connections and all I have is the LAN network connection.  There is not Wireless Network Connection.  I went to Device Manager and it shows a number of conflicts in "Other Devices".  Under Network Adapters it only shows the LAN adapter.  How do I get the Wireless Network Connection back?

Thanks,

rgepfert

10 Posts

December 14th, 2010 13:00

Rick,

You were a tremendous help.  I downloaded and ran the updates in that order and I am now able to use the Wireless device and connect to the internet.  I have kept your notes for future use when I have to do this again. 

Thanks for the help.

Robert

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 13th, 2010 11:00

rgepfert,

Did you install the desktop/notebook utility and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. .

Rick

10 Posts

December 13th, 2010 12:00

Rick,

No, the only thing listed under Network adapters is "1394 Net Adapter".  I have a bunch of devices listed under 'Other Devices" that are yellow

Audio
Ethernet
Modem
Network Controller
O2Micro Bus Controller
SM Bus Controller
Video

That is what has me puzzled.  I don't  even have a wireless device listed anywhere. 

Robert

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

Robert,

Go to device manager and see if the adapter is listed there with a yellow explanation mark.

Location is important.

Rick

10 Posts

Rick,

Thanks for the link.  I have been looking to see if I could find this page.  One question though.  For Wireless, it just says Wireless Network Card under the Network Category.  But there are numerous drivers.  Do I just do all of them?

Dell Wireless (Japan) WLAN Card

Dell Wireless 360 Module with Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

Dell Wireless (US) WLAN Card

Dell Wireless (Except US,Japan) WLAN Card

Dell Dell Wireless 13xx, 14xx, 1505 MiniCard

Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN MiniCard

Dell Wireless 360 Module with Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR

Intel Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

Robert

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 13th, 2010 13:00

Robert,

When Dell's Drivers and downloads comes back up, website down at the moment, I'll post back and help you, and with the order to install.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 14th, 2010 03:00

Robert,

Dell finally back up and I'm off work. I'm hoping you're in the United States.

Download and install in order. I would put each of these in their own folder and put 1notebookutility, 2chipset, etc.

Install the Dell Notebook System Software and the Intel Mobile Chipset first. These MUST be installed first or the rest of the drivers will fail to install. The rest of the order is not as crucial.

Broadcom 57XX Gigabit Integrated Controller 

Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN MiniCard

Dell Wireless 360 Module with Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR  Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Dell Wireless (US) WLAN Card (This might be the same as the 1390 drivers, not quite sure)

Intel (R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

Dell QuickSet 

This should get you online enough to connect and then download the Audio, Video and modem drivers.

There are two Audio and two video drivers. You'll have to know if you have Intel or nVidia drivers. Modem drivers under communications. Look under security and see if you have any of these items installed.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 14th, 2010 15:00

Robert,

Glad you got it working! :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back. I would take all those drivers, put them in numbered folders and then burn them to a disk. That way you'll have them, if and when needed.

Take care,

Rick

10 Posts

December 16th, 2010 17:00

Rick,

Have one more question.  I installed all the drivers, but the Intel Wireless Wifi Connection Utility is telling me that the driver is not installed.  But, I can connect to my wireless.  I get that wireless icon in the system tray with a red x on it.  When I click it it brings up the Intel ProSet/Wireless connection Utility and it says Driver Not Installed.  I have the Dell Wireless 1395 WLan Mini-Card under my Network Adapters in the Device Manager and it is not disabled.

Robert

1 Message

November 25th, 2013 00:00

I have a Dell Latitude D630 laptop and we re-installed a new version of Windows XP on top of an old XP version.  When the install was finished, I went into Network Connections and all I have is the LAN network connection.  There is not Wireless Network Connection.  I went to Device Manager and it shows a number of conflicts in "Other Devices".  Under Network Adapters it only shows the LAN adapter.  How do I get the Wireless Network Connection back?

Thanks,

combat2

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 25th, 2013 02:00

combat2,

Download and install in this exact order...

Dell Notebook System Software Utility

Intel Mobile Chipset Driver

Broadcom 57XX Gigabit Integrated Controller, 59XX 10/100 Ethernet Controller, v.XP/2k v10.26c Vista v10.9.0.0e, A00

Then go to Dell Warranty Status enter your service tag, click on original configuration. Look and see which adapter is installed. Then go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag, select your ooperating system. Under network, download the drivers for your adapter.

(If you have the Dell Wireless 1395, these are the drivers Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN MiniCard, Wireless 1490 Dual-Band WLAN MiniCard, Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN Mini-Card, Wireless 1395 WLAN MiniCard, Dell Wireless 13xx, 14xx, 1505 MiniCard, v.5.60.18.9, A31-1)

Then download and install Dell QuickSet, v.8.3.17, A51

If you have not updated the system to XP SP3, then WPA Security will not work. You need XP SP2 or XP SP3 to use WPA Security. You will need to use the Ethernet cable to connect and download Windows Updates I would download the custom updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications. On an XP system, you need all versions of .net framework installed, not just the latest version.

Places to look to see if your Connection is enabled

Go to device manager(right click my computer, left click properties, left click hardware, left click device manager). Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Click on advanced, look for Antenna Diversity. Change the Antenna Diversity from Auto to Aux.

Rick

1 Message

January 18th, 2015 01:00

Hello Rick,

I read this post, i have a similar issue.

My wireless adapter is also not showing up.

I checked in my device manager its installed and named as "1394 Net Adapter".

Now the mistake i made is that i didn't installed your mentioned drivers in order as listed,i installed them randomly.

My operating system is XP (freshly installed).

Please help me out. :emotion-1:

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 20th, 2015 02:00

gowent46,

The 1394 adapter is a firewire adapter and has nothing to do with any connection.

When you reinstalled the operating system, did you install the Dell System Software (if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Start with the Dell System Software and the chipset drivers and follow the list.

Rick

1 Message

September 27th, 2023 04:59

I there, I too am having this issue. I installed the drivers in the correct order and still not getting any thing. I downloaded the R151327 Broadcom 57XX Gigabit Integrated Controller(infact all three that were on the download site) and still nothing. I tried the download you have linked and it says its a part of a multi disk and needs the last disk of the set.

No Events found!